• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Looking for a range that has some falling steel or similar where I can draw from a holster.

I'm tired of punching paper with a 2 second delay between shots at the major indoor ranges. I live in Reisterstown but willing to travel for the right range.

Willing to become a member and pass certification if needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    thurmont conservation tcsc hosts uspsa, idpa and 3 gun matches, so i'm assuming as a member you could draw and run around a little in their bays for practice. above frederick. guess the same is now true for frederick isaac walton as they're hosting idpa matches. ditto for york iwla. of course i'd confirm with club members before joining.

and i'll go ahead and say it, if you haven't done any competitions, start doing those, such as uspsa and idpa. you can certainly draw, run around and shoot stuff at those, lotsa fun.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    At AGC you can get certified to draw from a holster and as long as your shots are 'aimed' speed isn't a problem. There is a restriction on where you can work from a holster... the two right most pistol lanes, IIRC.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Shoot and move, drawing and point shooting, rapid fire, having space and no one messing with you et al is pretty going to be private property as far as target practice is concerned, IMO.

I do a little of that at the private club I'm a member at, but I save the barrel rolls for my friends backyard range.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    I've done a couple competitions in Frederick at Monocacy but really looking to do my own thing. Been to 340 Defense a couple times but was hoping for something closer.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I've done a couple competitions in Frederick at Monocacy but really looking to do my own thing. Been to 340 Defense a couple times but was hoping for something closer.

You may want to check out some of the local and semi local (PA) fish and game associations. These tend to be open spaces that are relatively unrestricted.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

yeah i was going to say 340 and peacemaker but they're a bit of a haul for you.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Most indoor ranges require a delay between shots. I'd like to practice reloads and speed shooting, similar to the competition realm but in a "practice" environment...

At AGC you can get certified to draw from a holster and as long as your shots are 'aimed' speed isn't a problem. There is a restriction on where you can work from a holster... the two right most pistol lanes, IIRC.

The AGC is moving in that direction. As a member, you can help us move faster. My club(Garrison) is taking on new members every month. Next meeting is Aug 9. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195166
    I live in Reisterston, AGC is very convenient.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    MSAR allows you to draw from a holster on the rifle side and has a couple lanes where the "table" folds up out of the way. You have to shoot at paper though.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    thurmont conservation tcsc hosts uspsa, idpa and 3 gun matches, so i'm assuming as a member you could draw and run around a little in their bays for practice. above frederick. guess the same is now true for frederick isaac walton as they're hosting idpa matches. ditto for york iwla. of course i'd confirm with club members before joining. and i'll go ahead and say it, if you haven't done any competitions, start doing those, such as uspsa and idpa. you can certainly draw, run around and shoot stuff at those, lotsa fun.

Listen to this guy. Go to Peacemaker do a match. You will know what you need to practice after your first match. As long as you can draw safely, watch your finger and keep your muzzle down range you are ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom