AR-15 300BO, 16" barrel, what gas system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I wonder why BCM went with the carbine length gas system? Over gassing perhaps?

BCM has taken great care to ensure the best possible performance and interchangeability. However, due to the large operational range of 300 Blackout ammunition in the market place, BCM cannot guarantee function will all ammunition types in all conditions. These barrels were designed to run with a carbine buffer with subsonic ammo and a H3 buffer with high velocity ammo. Fine tuning may be required in limited instances based on ammo and buffer choices that work best for the desired application. BCM also recommends running the Crane O-ring (provided with all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups) over the extractor with 300 Blackout.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pistol Gas is optimal IMO for a .300, so is adjustable Gas. Messing with buffers is not necessary with a good SLR Adjustable Gas Block.

The BCM/Crane O-Ring can often induce ejection problems from extractor over tensioning and it can cause damage to the casing rim for reloaders.

Use a Colt Gold Extractor Spring and no O-Ring is ever necessary in my experience.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Pistol Gas is optimal IMO for a .300, so is adjustable Gas. Messing with buffers is not necessary with a good SLR Adjustable Gas Block.

The BCM/Crane O-Ring can often induce ejection problems from extractor over tensioning and it can cause damage to the casing rim for reloaders.

Use a Colt Gold Extractor Spring and no O-Ring is ever necessary in my experience.
    Slightly off topic, but would you recommend a adjustable gas block or a standard gas block for a 12.5 inch, carbine gas 556? Planning to do a pistol build and wanted your thoughts.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Originally, the 300BO was optimized for a pistol length gas system - due to the use of subsonic ammunition.

It seems a lot of outfits have finally started getting the gas port diameter correct for reliable operation with carbine length gas - even with subsonic ammo. Which is better, could be debated I guess.

Personally, I've always opted for the pistol-length gas on my 300BO uppers, and adjustable gas-blocks (never know when the desire to suppress will override the bank account). I've never had any issues that weren't induced by the user - or by development loads I was testing.

View attachment 182671

12.2" 300BO and 16" 300BO.

Both shot fantastic, both are in new homes.

You really should do another one, since you know someone with a 30-cal suppressor. :innocent0

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I researched on ARF before building mine and they said pistol length gas

44B4FD38-2EA2-43E1-8454-5B590F6BB360_zpski1jy6je.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I researched on ARF before building mine and they said pistol length gas

44B4FD38-2EA2-43E1-8454-5B590F6BB360_zpski1jy6je.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Well yeah for a barrel that short. OP is going with 16", so a carbine is much more doable for him. I'd still go pistol but that's me--carbine will work fine on a longer barrel like 16". Pistol is still optimal though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You really should do another one, since you know someone with a 30-cal suppressor. :innocent0

He may know two someone's :lol2:

Had that 10.5" 300BLK, briefly.

Damn firearms adhd kicked in, and next thing I knew - it was in a new home. Never even sent a round down it... :o

Looks like i'm trading the mini mill for a MK II TR. might have to chat with you about an appleseed before i venture off to america on a permanent basis.

Texas beckons??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom