• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    Shooters,
    You asked for it, so here it is. Registration is open for the June carbine match. The format will be very similar to the winter match, minus the snow. We will be shooting the same course layout as the winter match, those that shot the winter match can compare their times and see how much the slippery conditions in January slowed them down, or maybe the cool temps helped you go faster, we'll see. Details are below, if you have any questions please ask.

Attention shooters,
    Registration for the June 5, 2011 carbine match at the Mayberry Game Protective Association is now open. The entry fee is $30 per rifle, a shooter may enter two rifles in the match but they must be in separate classes. The field limit for the match is 27 rifles.

To minimize the amount of down time for the shooters we will split into three groups of 9 shooters each and have three different starting times, 8:30, 11:00, and 2:30. Please indicate with your entry which time is your first and second choices. If you are coming with a group of shooters we ask that you send all your entries together to ease the squadding. We will need to receive payment for all members in your group to reserve their spots.

Please include an email address with your entry, we will confirm your starting time, and you will receive a copy of the course of fire and range layout diagram for the match.

I anticipate the match will fill and we will have a waiting list, if you register and cannot attend the match please let us know a soon as possible so we can notify those on the waiting list. Cancellations before 9:00 am Friday June 3, 2011 will have his or her entry fee returned to him or her. No refunds will be given for cancellations after 9:00am Friday June 3, 2011.

Mail your entry information and check to: Steve Dukehart, 308 Royer Rd, Westminster MD 21158. Make checks payable to MGPA.

General:
    Classes: Iron Sights, Non-Magnified Optics, Magnified Optics, Vintage rifles.

No Armor Piercing (AP), Penetrator, Steel Core, Tracer Ammunition allowed. No holes in the steel please. Violators will be disqualified, and asked not to return.

The match consists of considerable amounts of movement on uneven terrain. There may be mud, drainage ditches, ruts, holes, etc. Care should be taken whenever moving on the course.

This is a lost brass match. Anyone that wants brass may bring a bucket and help police brass at the end of the match.

Magazines must be retained.

No Full Auto firing.

No drum/beta-c magazines. Standard 20 or 30 round magazines.

Targets will consist of paper B-27 and E-type silhouettes, and steel targets. Targets will be engaged from approximately 1 to 300 yards.

The minimum round count appears to be in the 90-100 rounds range, if all your rounds are good hits. My suggestion is to carry at least 120 rounds, more if you can, or if you think you may get a little trigger-happy.

Safety:
    Shooters will bring rifle to “ready area” in case.

Rifles must be carried muzzle down while on range.

Muzzles must face down range at all times while on range.

ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator) must be inserted at all times unless directed to remove it by a SO (Safety Officer).

Rifle must be on “Safe” during all movements on the range. Shooters will call out “Safe” when engaging safety, before moving from any firing position.

Failing to follow SO directions will result in disqualification.

At completion of your run, show SO your clear weapon and insert ECI.

Any safety violation will result in immediate disqualification.

Scoring:
    Scoring is time to complete course plus penalties.

Dropped/Abandoned magazines are one penalty each.

Any targets left un-neutralized are one penalty each.

Shooting targets out of order are one penalty per target.

Penalties are 20 seconds each.

To neutralize a B-27 target it must have two hits within the 8 ring, unless target specifies otherwise.

E-type Silhouette targets require two hits to neutralize.

Steel targets require two hits to neutralize.

Targets will be engaged closest to farthest.

Mozambique’s can be shot in any order.

Thanks, and hope to see you all at the range.

Steve B.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Steve,

In the other thread you mention they will be running some sporting clays while the carbine match is running. Is that still planned and can we shoot a round if we wish? Looking forward to the June match :thumbsup:

steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    Soup,
    Thanks for reminding me. The club will be holding a sporting clays and 5 stand shoot the same day as the carbine match. Anyone who wants to shoot it is encouraged to do so. Thanks again, see you at the range.

Steve B.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Also an FYI to all: last time I pretty much put an extra round on each paper target (just to be sure)- and I shot 120 rounds total.

I had a full 30 rounder in the gun + 4 spares. Didn't need the last mag, but I didn't do any tactical or admin reloads, just ran each mag till it was dry.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Steve, I'm in; irons. Is payment ok at the May general meeting? Want to shoot first relay before my arthritus kicks in.

Last edited:

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Mail will be sent out tomorrow, I asked for first relay since I have to be back for summer training that evening, any idea how long the match will run?

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Mail will be sent out tomorrow, I asked for first relay since I have to be back for summer training that evening, any idea how long the match will run?

Well, each shooter takes about ~15 minutes to run the course and get course ready for the next one, so if you are in the first stick and you are the first shooter you could be out of there in under 30 minutes. If you are the final shooter, it could be 2+ hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom