• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Need reccomendations for the following types of ammo. Supersonic only for now. I'll get into subs later. And please don't say reloading. I will get into that when I can.

1) cheapest range ammo

Whatever goes bang. I'm guessing the .308 pulls would be the cheapest?

2) reliable go to ammo

Reliability and decent terminal ballistics but something affordable enough to stock up a case on. If it was .223, think along the lines of M193.

3) premium self defense & hunting ammo

At the prices I see this stuff, I can only afford a few mags to keep on hand. I want it to have it close to the same weight and POI as my #2 for this reason.

Thanks.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Need reccomendations for the following types of ammo. Supersonic only for now. I'll get into subs later. And please don't say reloading. I will get into that when I can.

1) cheapest range ammo

Whatever goes bang. I'm guessing the .308 pulls would be the cheapest?

2) reliable go to ammo

Reliability and decent terminal ballistics but something affordable enough to stock up a case on. If it was .223, think along the lines of M193.

3) premium self defense & hunting ammo

At the prices I see this stuff, I can only afford a few mags to keep on hand. I want it to have it close to the same weight and POI as my #2 for this reason.

Thanks.

I bought 1000 rounds of Magtech (I think 115 grain?) for around .42 a round. I have put several hundred rounds through my gun and only 1 malfunction (I think a bad primer). Quite happy with it. I’ve also put about 80 rounds down range of better quality Barnes Vor-tx 110 grain tac-tx. No issues, but definitely more expensive. I’ve never hunted with either; just paper. I don’t feel qualified to opine on any POI shift because I know that I am by far a bigger variable than the ammo. Just came here to say that Magtech and Barnes go bang.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The 110 Hornady V-Max are pretty impressive in gel and can be found around $20 a box. Expands/frags quickly. I did OK with the newer Remington 120gr UMC loading for range fun. It actually was interesting to see in gel also. I got it on sale for $12.99 I believe.

I bought 1000 rounds of Magtech (I think 115 grain?) for around .42 a round. I have put several hundred rounds through my gun and only 1 malfunction (I think a bad primer). Quite happy with it. I’ve also put about 80 rounds down range of better quality Barnes Vor-tx 110 grain tac-tx. No issues, but definitely more expensive. I’ve never hunted with either; just paper. I don’t feel qualified to opine on any POI shift because I know that I am by far a bigger variable than the ammo. Just came here to say that Magtech and Barnes go bang.

+1 on the Magtech. It is the closest thing to factory plinking ammo in .300AAC I have ever seen.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are wide variations in the quality of 300 Blackout ammo on the market.

Troubleshoot/Test with good quality ammunition which means not cheap to test the baseline reliability and function of the rifle. Then tinker with some cheaper Grade ammo.

If your gun won't chamber ammo stop what you're doing.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    bump. Specifically for a 8.5" barrel 1/8 twist. Interested in cheap supers, cheap subs, and defensive varieties of both with similar ballistics to the cheap stuff.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    For semi auto play in supers in an AR I just bought a case 1000 of what ever is cheapest on ammoseek.

For subsonic I really wanted 220gr Sierra Match Kings bullets, I dont remember why. I bought a few thousand reloaded on reformed brass from defenderammunition.com. I have only shot these out to 100m with a suppressor, seems decent for what I paid.

I hunted with a ruger american in 300blk last year with silencerco hybrid on the end. I bough one one box of everything reasonably priced for testing and settled on the 125gr Fiocchi ammo. It uses the 125gr Horady SST bullet and it made the biggest holes in my "rotten firewood" test. In actual hunting under 100m I had 7/8 fall where hit and one runner that made it 60 yards. The runner was a large doe, the only non pass through, and there was no blood anywhere outside, "did I even hit her???". Insides were devastated, nothing resembling lungs remained. I recovered the bullet jacket from the opposite shoulder hide with almost 1" of expansion. Since I had good results and bought 1000 more to hunt with the next few years.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_113711.jpg
      IMG_20171126_113711.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 113

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I like the Fiocchi 150 fmj for plinking in bulk, caught some on sale and been good. I have had issues with Remington 220 subs, at least 1 or 2 ftf a box in ar or bolt guns. Gemtech subs run great but $$. Atomic subs run good in my limited experience. Need to run through some more for full vetting. They seem touch "louder" suppressed then some of the others but could be just my perception.

Tomkat has been some of the best, need to see the for a refill.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    bump. Specifically for a 8.5" barrel 1/8 twist. Interested in cheap supers, cheap subs, and defensive varieties of both with similar ballistics to the cheap stuff.

No such thing as cheap commercial subs. If you roll your own, look at leather head projectiles. Dirt cheap and work fine for plinking.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Magtech definiteley, cost about as much as it cost me
    To reload FMJ, although did load up 1K 150gr hornady interlocks I had on the shelf for a couple years. Would like to try some FMJ pulls if I can find some for cheap.
    AGBarms or Keystone munitions are around $.50 per for subs. Have Hornady 110gr loaded for HD.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I've had good luck with Magtech supers. Functions just fine.

For subs I've been using whatever the cheapest is. Usually that's S&B. Apparently Magtech had a run of subs at some point, but I haven't seen any in stock.

For defensive use with supers, I like the Barnes TacTX but it's so expensive. For defensive with subs Hornady just put out a new line a few months ago, seems to have mediocre expansion but it's way cheaper than the Lehigh subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom