• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I was wondering what the board's thoughts are regarding owning similar firearms in different calibers versus consolidating to specific calibers for each firearm type. I had been trying to keep the number of different calibers low as I have added to my collection, but I was thinking that with the problem of ammo availability a better approach might be an "about face" and have firearms in different calibers to increase the likely hood of finding ammo.

For example, If I had a pistol in 9mm, would it be best if I were to get another pistol in 9mm to keep my ammo inventory needs simple, or should I maybe consider .40 S&W, in case if 9mm is difficult to obtain, .40 S&W might be available.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    In my humble opinion, and I'm saying this as only a S&W M&P .40 owner, I'd stick with the sticking to a caliber as long as I'm in the handgun-only market.

I realize the 9 & 45 crowd is taking more of a 'beating' right now opposed to the 40 crowd. I'd consider multiple handguns with multiple calibers a pain.

I personally won't change calibers unless/when I go rifle or shotgun shopping...

Mark C.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The current ammo issues have kept me from buying a .45. I just don't want to add another calibre I need to stock.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Hughmon I agree with your assessment concerning having more guns with varying calibers. I used to be of the thought that I wanted to keep my collection to only a few common calibers; only 9mm, 308, 223, 22, 12g and 7.62x39 for me. But what I've learned about ammunition is that, like vegetables, it's highly "seasonal", and it pays to have a caliber varied collection. For instance 30-06 and 308 is hard to get and very $expensive$ lately. But if I had a 7.62x54 rifle (mosin, dragunov etc), I could shoot something perfectly comparable for a LOT less. Or recently I saw 303 Enfield ammo cheap, once again a comparably classed cartridge for a great and historically awesome gun - if only I had one. Same thing goes for the 7.62x25 vs 357sig (or other comparable rounds), and so on.

And having a diverse gun collection also protects you in SHTF situations where ammo would probably be very hard to come by. Beggars can't be choosers, and it's the oddball stuff that's likely to be found somewhere because no one else will be able to use it. If you just happen to have a weapon that can digest it, you're that much further ahead.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    "variety is the spice of life"
    having said that right now i only gave a 9mm and a 357. but i totally plan on getting a 40 and 45

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    If you get a SIG in .40 then all you need to do is buy a 9mm conversion barrel and a 357 barrel and you have 3 guns in one! there problem solved....

hpbyhermann

Mar 10, 2009
    Edgewater MD
    I've done this myself for the same reasons....

I started with a Sig P-229 .40, added a .357 Sig barrel and .22LR conversion for 3 guns in 1. Then we bought my wife a Taurus Tracker .357 Magnum so we could shoot .357 and .38 Special. Bought my Kimber Stainless Target II to shoot the .45 ACP and I am in the process of getting a Sig P-226 9 m.m. to cover that caliber. I have bought all of the guns some ammo so I am safe for now to go weekly and shoot something at On Target!:thumbsup: Hermann

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I like the diffrent calibers, you get a feel for other rnds. Also, you never burn up all your ammo at once. I can have a great day at the range and shoot up all my nine, but still have 45 for home defense or vise versa

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Diversity is good, though I only maintain quantities of a few calibers if given a choice availability wise.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The ammunition shortage is likely to be temporary be it a few months to a year or so. But whichever, it will end and affordable ammo for all calibers will be readily available again unless we get involved in another war or something.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Novus, I hope that you are right.

I wonder though, there seems to be such a concerted push to demonize guns and gun owners, especially lately that fear driven buying and hoarding will continue.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I stand on the side of limiting calibers. While I own 3 different shotguns and pistols. As well as 5 rifle calibers I am not likely to extend my range. I like the idea of multiple firearms with the same appitite as they can be set up for different purposes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I own a lot of different calibers, but have found it is easier to stock up in one or two calibers, or components for one or two, and set up a progressive press to stamp out ammo, it limits the variety of components to have on hand, and you can just sit there and crank out ammo en masse, and feed a variety of guns. I also keep an eye out for what mil-surp is cheap, and usually buy a gun chambered in that with a bunch of ammo, usually enough to feed it for at least a few years. In the case of my Mosin M44, I bought 2 cases of ammo with the rifle for about $250 a couple years ago, and have hardly made a dent in that 1760 rounds, if the cheap ammo is gone, then I just find what the next cheap thing is, and work with that. It is about impossible to keep any appreciable ammount of ammo on hand in every caliber that I shoot, so I kinda do both.

ammo.jpg

Last edited:

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Once I start reloading my position my change. My choices are based on space and funding. It is hard to much in a one bedroom appartment.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    I never met a caliber I didn't like....and I try to be as deeply stocked in every one...admittedly some more than others. Why keep my money..soon there'll be a time when it won't be of much use.....

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I tried consolidation for a few years but quickly found out we have different calibers for different uses. That said for significant stockpiling I focus on

9mm
    .45 ACP
    12 gauge
    7.62*39

With modest amounts of other calibers on hand incase I cant find what I want and crave a day at the range. We should do a caliber line-up picture thread sometime along with a "guess the caliber" to see who wins!

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Everything we own at this point shoots .45 ACP or .38 special. I have a press set up for each and have been able to keep enough components for our use. I've even got a couple thousand rounds ready to go right now.

If you're reloding, simplicity, if you're not, variety. Seems pretty easy to me.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I do have to say that I like having a diffrent assortment of calibers. It's like candy, somtimes your in the mood for something diffrent. I currently have on hand...
    22LR
    9mm
    45 ACP
    7.62X39
    7.62X54R
    303 british
    8mm mauser
    12 gauge

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    How many guns do you want? If you hold the "consolidation" view, maybe you don't need more than one of each class of weapon, at which point the ammo question becomes moot. After all, you can only shoot one at a time. From this point of view, even if you want a second pistol or whatever (say, as a spare, or for your wife or something), you would have to consider getting the same make and model as your primary pistol for parts availability and familiarity reasons.

However, if you like to buy different guns, either for specialized needs or just because you like different guns, well, it seems to me that variety is the spice of life. Live it up.

Perhaps a compromise is worthwhile. Buy all the different calibers of guns you want; but choose your primary combat calibers and focus on stocking large quantities of ammo for those guns, and just keep an eye out for good deals for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom