• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    What's you're preferred defense load in your 9mm's? I've been keeping the G17 loaded with Double Tap 124g +P JHP's. They've functioned perfectly (but so has ALL ammo I've shot through this Glock) and seemed accurate to me. But seeing as how there's a plethora of defense ammo available, I'd like to try out a few others. I picked up some Federal Hydrashock 147g to try out, but haven't shot it yet. What do you guys use?

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Winchester white box FMJ's. It'll poke holes in stuff. Leather jackets, denim or collarbones are not a problem. Simple, cheap and the same kind I target shoot with. So if I ever needed the pistol for self defense, the gun will behave exactly as it does at the range - increasing odds of accuracy and placement, even under stress.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I keep a couple of mags loaded w/Hornady Critical Defense that's gotten very good reviews...

simg_t_ogs52148yhst37697109791737_2059_2232500023

Jamie

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Winchester white box FMJ's. It'll poke holes in stuff. Leather jackets, denim or collarbones are not a problem. Simple, cheap and the same kind I target shoot with. So if I ever needed the pistol for self defense, the gun will behave exactly as it does at the range - increasing odds of accuracy and placement, even under stress.

I would not recommend FMJ's for self defense. There is tons of evidence that shows they are not very effective. I think 9mm is fine for self defense but you should use hollow points. 124 gr or even 147 gr. You can get Remington 115 gr JHP ammo pretty cheap and still be able to use it for self defense. I keep a mag full of hollow points around for this very reason.

Thanks

Phil

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    personal prefference in my ruger is all the 147gr rounds - prefferable the federal HST's but I have no problems running through even wolf gold 147gr HP's

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I would not recommend FMJ's for self defense. There is tons of evidence that shows they are not very effective. I think 9mm is fine for self defense but you should use hollow points. 124 gr or even 147 gr. You can get Remington 115 gr JHP ammo pretty cheap and still be able to use it for self defense. I keep a mag full of hollow points around for this very reason.

Thanks

Phil

there is also tons of evidence that shows the a lot of people die from 22 rimfire. HP's are also illegal in many countries and they have no problem killing people with FMJ rounds. They don't worry about one shot one kill from a handgun, they shoot till the threat stops.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I was looking for the HST's when I bought the "normal" hydrashocks, does anyone know where they're in stock?

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    IMHO any hollow point 9MM will do the job. The question there is ,,will it go bang in times of need. Like in situation an irate father is running towards you with 36" Kampilan held in both hands raised up high cuz he heard rumors that you had fun with her daughter last night, now you pull that 1911 45acp ,point, pulled the trigger and nothing happend,,,,sorry got carried away:D

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I am currently loaded with Federal Hydrashok 124gr +p+. I don't like them. Way too much flash.

I think I would take any quality hollow point manufactured in the past ten years or so. I have a box of 115gr Federal Hi-Shoks which tested well back in their day. Dirt cheap, too. Now-a-days, hard to find.

The HST's are apparently very effective; but expensive. Just like my computers, cell phones, etc, I think I will try and grab /last/ generation super rounds at a bargain price. I can't believe the newest, most expensive stuff is so much better as to justify the greater cost. If I could find it, I'd buy a 1000 rounds of the Hi-Shoks today, so that I could regularly practice with my carry ammo, than the newest stuff which is too expensive to do more than keep it loaded in reserve.

I like all of the Hydrashoks, when I can find them; although I've become suspicious of the 147gr subsonic stuff based on some articles I've read.

I wouldn't use FMJ in 9mm. Sure, it might kill the bad guy, eventually. But I want to stop him RIGHT NOW, not somewhat later. 9mm FMJ is a disaster for the military, and it is a disaster for us. There are too many good HP rounds in this caliber to make that compromise.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I keep a good stock of Winchester Ranger T 147gr on hand. I have run enough through my Glocks to know they function properly etc (about 300 or so). Good penetration and expansion in most tests.

Honestly any JHP made in the last decade should function pretty much the same. I prefer to use the heaviest bullet available, but 115 gr and 124 gr should work just as well. Some weapons don't like to feed longer loads so 147's can malfunction in certain platforms (namely Kahr). My buddy's Kahr CW9 would have a failure to feed every few rounds with the Ranger T's, but cycled 100% with 124 gr Gold Dots. The OAL was the same so we couldn't figure it out, just goes to show that you should test anything you intend to load.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Are ALL 147g commercial loads subsonic? My conversion program lists Mach 1 at 1087 fps, and the Federal site lists these hydrashocks at 1000 fps at the muzzle, which would make them subsonic. Is that generally the case?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Are ALL 147g commercial loads subsonic? My conversion program lists Mach 1 at 1087 fps, and the Federal site lists these hydrashocks at 1000 fps at the muzzle, which would make them subsonic. Is that generally the case?

That's my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom