• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    A fine shotgun Sir. I personally like Federal's 00 L.E. loads in my home defense gun. My advice is to get several kinds of 00, take it out to Continental and run some pattern tests.

Pattern tests....

I assume that is just shooting at some paper. What kind of a pattern should I be looking for? Tight? Loose? Consistent? Something that matches a recognizable constellation? At what range? I'm brand new to shotgunning and I'm not sure what is desirable and what isn't.

I'm assuming that I want a very tight pattern at a reasonable self defense range, say fifty feet. Given the apparent popularity of this particular weapon, I'm guessing that finding a good load will not be terribly difficult.

Gun Connection set me up with Remington Managed-Recoil Buckshot (12 guage, 2 3/4 length, 1200 fps, 8 pellets, 00BK buckshot, RL12BK00) which I presume is generally acceptable.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I put the ATI stock on mine. It only has a rubber buttpad on it. the recoil doesn't bother me too much, but I am a big guy. I got the rifled 20 inch barrel on there so I can shoot those awesome Hornady SST sabots.:party29: But I like the 3 inch KO sabots as well. Shooting shot through the barrel dirties up the rifleing, but It also spreads the shot like a sawn off due to the extra spin on the shot cup. I appreciate the overall simplicity of the 870's design. Still not sure if it is better than my mossy 500 though.

001.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Pattern tests....

I assume that is just shooting at some paper. What kind of a pattern should I be looking for? Tight? Loose? Consistent? Something that matches a recognizable constellation? At what range? I'm brand new to shotgunning and I'm not sure what is desirable and what isn't.

I'm assuming that I want a very tight pattern at a reasonable self defense range, say fifty feet. Given the apparent popularity of this particular weapon, I'm guessing that finding a good load will not be terribly difficult.

Gun Connection set me up with Remington Managed-Recoil Buckshot (12 guage, 2 3/4 length, 1200 fps, 8 pellets, 00BK buckshot, RL12BK00) which I presume is generally acceptable.

You've essentialy got it. A tighter pattern is more desirable for self defense work, I pattern my guns at 10 yards, never more 15. The average inside the home shot will be at very close range but even that close in you will see a difference. Dan gave you good stuff, I personally prefer Federal with the Flitecontrol wad but to each thier own. Buy a box of Wolf to see how bad spread can get. Last advice, stick with 00 or 000 buckshot, maybe a few slugs. Birdshot might work if you get lucky. Buckshot does work.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've been thinking of getting the same rifle for home defense. My only problem is the wife needs to feel comfortable with it as well. I'm worried a 12 gauge's kick or weight would be too much.

Any suggestions?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Joppaj hit the nail on the head. Ten yards is the far end of where you could reasonably expect to shoot in a HD situation. A tighter pattern is more desirable because you are responsible for every projectile that comes out of your barrel. Ideally, you want them all hitting the bad guy without any outliers taking off for parts unknown.

Head over to http://www.theboxotruth.com/ and take a look at his many articles, specifically those related to the shotgun. A lot of great stuff there.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    I've been thinking of getting the same rifle for home defense. My only problem is the wife needs to feel comfortable with it as well. I'm worried a 12 gauge's kick or weight would be too much.

Any suggestions?

Recoil pad, Knoxx Reduced recoil stock, Reduced recoil buckshot, a consistent shouldering of the firearm.

Those should make it pretty easy to shoot.

BTW Adam, nice shotgun. I have the same one from Dan and it works great.

LordSigdious

Jan 10, 2009
    get the knoxx stock, your shoulder will thank you

Just ordered the remington shurshot stock and forend off CTD for $53, less than half the price of the knoxx stock! The reviews from others have been good for recoil and better control vs the original stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom