• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

OLD FORD GUY

Mar 31, 2012
    Baldwin, MD
    I hope it happens soon as I am spending too much time refreshing and looking at this thread. Need to get some other things done. I assume the ruling will be posted here as soon as it gets released.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I'll bet that Gansler has a motion for stay sitting in a law firm in Richmond near the courthouse. The minute the email hits with Legg's ruling, he picks up the phone and the motion for stay is filed within five minutes. That would give him some cover to claim status quo until the Fourth Circuit rules on the stay.

emil

Jan 30, 2012
    I am new to this site. just moved here from Jersey.
    Can anyone tell what the ruling is for carrying a concealed knife.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    No one knows except Judge Legg.

You're in VA. Why the impatience?

I'm a former Marylander by birth. I grew up in P.G. County. My wife and I still have quite a few relatives in Maryland so we travel there often.

They haven't even asked the 4th for a stay.

I understand they haven't asked 4th for a stay. But if Judge Legg denies a permament stay, they will.

My understanding from reading various posts by esqappellate is that the 4th will consider the merits of the stay request independent of the district court's stay ruling. If this is correct, how it doesn't seem like it should take Judge Legg that long. Either the State's reasoning for asking for a stay are justified and too bad Woollard (and the rest of us) or they aren't. If they are, then Woollard and the rest of us will just have to wait until the 4th is done. If they aren't then the state needs to go cry to the 4th who will make up their own mind independent of anything Judge Legg says on his stay motion.

Mr H

Banana'd

Welcome aboard.

I can't answer the knife question, but many here will be along shortly to assist (and there is the "Edged Weapons" folder with good information).

Be sure to stop by the Introductions folder for cookies and Sweet Lemonade!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown

In MD as long as it is a common folding knife I do not believe there are any restriction on carry or length. However if it is a fixed blade I believe it MUST be open carried in its proper sheath.

Also welcome and enjoy

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    In MD as long as it is a common folding knife I do not believe there are any restriction on carry or length. However if it is a fixed blade I believe it MUST be open carried in its proper sheath.

Also welcome and enjoy

Alas, not nearly that simple See 4-101 MD Criminal Law Article. A knife is a dangerous weapon, regardless of size, unless it is a pen knife.

4-101 provides:
    (c)(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    (3)(i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County,
    Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, St. Mary's County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County

See Attached with annotations.

Attachments

• MD_CRIM_LAW_s_4-101_6-20-12_1137.dangerousWeapons.pdf
      107 KB · Views: 172

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Alas, not nearly that simple See 4-101 MD Criminal Law Article. A knife is a dangerous weapon, regardless of size, unless it is a pen knife.

Isn't the definition of "pen knife" in this state a folding knife? I rarely don't have at least a small knife on me (I'm a sailor, and the wise sailor always has a knife of some type within easy reach).

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    I'm a former Marylander by birth. I grew up in P.G. County. My wife and I still have quite a few relatives in Maryland so we travel there often.

I understand they haven't asked 4th for a stay. But if Judge Legg denies a permament stay, they will.

My understanding from reading various posts by esqappellate is that the 4th will consider the merits of the stay request independent of the district court's stay ruling.

the standard of review is abuse of discretion, not de novo. CA4 review is NOT independent. If it was, then MD would have just filed something in Richmond first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom