• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Getting ready to get printed and apply for an HQL - something I swore I would never do :sad20:

Long story but due to a recall on a handgun I own they have to send me a replacement which is a different gun. Now I have to go through all the HQL crap to get my replacement.

Anyway what is the typical charge for printing at most places? I called my local police agency and they charge a total around $51. They say $20 is their charge, the remaining $31+ is for state and federal processing.

Does this sound correct? This F-ing recall is going to cost me close to $120 when all is said and done in state fees. :mad54:

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Thank you

And then $50 for the license?

What's the standard MD background check for a handgun cost these days? I haven't bought a handgun for 7+ years.

Pretty sure it's $10 for MSP fees? I haven't actually bought a handgun in Maryland either so I'd be in the same boat as you if I had to return one.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Pretty sure it's $10 for MSP fees? I haven't actually bought a handgun in Maryland either so I'd be in the same boat as you if I had to return one.

Thanks. It's been such a sh!t show with this damn recall. I really wish I did the right thing and just told the "no thanks" when I first got the notice. It has been one issue after another and dragged on for a year and a half. And then I find out about the HQL business. Ugghhh :sad20:

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I don't believe that you need a HQL to receive a warranty replacement handgun if it is sent to you directly from the manufacturer.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I don't believe that you need a HQL to receive a warranty replacement handgun if it is sent to you directly from the manufacturer.
    Has to go thru a licensed FFL. They are replacing a defective Rossi with a different gun (Taurus). I had my FFL dealer talk to MSP about it directly and they said I had to get the HQL and do the full background check.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If I understand it correctly, even if it is the same model gun, if it has a different serial number, it has to go through the whole process.

You gotta do what you gotta do :shrug: Once the deed is done, you might as well get the most mileage out of that HQL investment that you can. Get your Designated Collector status, then buy buy buy...you've got about 7 years of purchasing to make up for!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

+1
    If you ship a defective gun directly to the manufacturer to be destroyed, they can send a new serial number directly to you.

If you shipped it through an FFL, it must come back through an FFL with all that entails. It's not worth saving the individual vs FFL shipping costs when you get hit with the transfer fees on the back end.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If I understand it correctly, even if it is the same model gun, if it has a different serial number, it has to go through the whole process.

You gotta do what you gotta do :shrug: Once the deed is done, you might as well get the most mileage out of that HQL investment that you can. Get your Designated Collector status, then buy buy buy...you've got about 7 years of purchasing to make up for!

LOL I'll do my best

I downsized not too long ago. Might be time for a couple additions to the stable.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    +1
    If you ship a defective gun directly to the manufacturer to be destroyed, they can send a new serial number directly to you.

If you shipped it through an FFL, it must come back through an FFL with all that entails. It's not worth saving the individual vs FFL shipping costs when you get hit with the transfer fees on the back end.
    Wish I had thought of that ahead of time. My deal who I bought the gun from called me about the recall and said to bring the gun to him so thats what I did. I talked to Rossi directly and they said they had to ship the gun to my FFL. They certainly at least implied that they wouldn't ship directly to me. They stopped making handguns under the Rossi name so all are being replaced with Taurus. I asked if I could do a refund and naturally no-go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom