• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    I was perusing the SOTAR site and watching the promo video - Man !! I gotta get there!

The work bench photos had me drooling..

Quest:How do YOU mount tools on peg board ( or not)?

I have tried varieties of the metal hooks and mounts and those things just don't stay in place for me.. Tried the little plastic clips that supposedly "hold the holders" - to no avail.. The things break or fall off and get lost.

Before I rip the peg board down and do something 'custom' ( Where to find the time!?) , I thought I would ask around and see if anyone has great success with keeping tools in place and organized -without the holders falling off when you retrieve a tool.

I thought of maybe a post dedicated to workbench photos-Worst and Best !
    I know what prize I will win. But I try...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Buy a piece of sheet metal in your desired size. Contact cement it to plywood and hang it where you want.

Use magnets to hold your tools to the sheet metal.

If your tool is not magnetic. Then you can use a hanger or shelf that is, to hold the tool.

This makes it so easy to change your tool layout. And you just grab it and go. No hangers to work over.

I believe there is also steel pegboard available. That would both tool holders and magnets.

Magnets are available in many sizes abd strengths. Harbor Freight actually has a good selection

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

I use zip ties to hold the hooks in place on my pegboard. They work well for me.

I agree the plastic thingamabobs they sell to hold the hooks don't work well.

You should do a workbench photo thread. :)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I use magnet bars like mentioned above but I've also had good luck with a certain brand of hook hangers. I'm not sure where I got them but the bottom peg is slightly oversized so when you push it in it uses friction to hold it in place and they are solid. I'd like to find some more of them but I can't remember where I got them. Either Amazon, HD, or Ace. I'll have to look again.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I put a coat of semi-gloss paint on the cheap pegboard and then use cheap pegboard hooks and doodads. Hot glue the doodads and hooks onto the pegboard - a glob in each hole and cover over the vertical part of the hook or doodad. With the paint on the board, it's a simple twist to remove the glue to relocate things. Cheap and reliable method.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I like to have as much up on the walls as possible, so that everything is visible, readily available, and within arm's reach.

In my workshops, I hang 1/2 inch plywood on the walls, and mount everything to that. Most things are directly mounted to the plywood with nails. 6d or 8d finishing for pliers, hammers, prybars, socket rails, carton knives, etc.. Sinkers for adjustable and combination wrenches, squares, rulers, and hand saws.

Anything that isn't hung in that fashion will probably go up on custom fabricated mounting brackets. I usually make those out of pieces of aluminum angle that are drilled, cut, and filed into the profile needed to accept the tool. Those are usually either 1/16 or 1/8 thick, and 1 or 1.5 inches on the legs, depending on what the bracket needs to hold.

I'll typically lay everything out on the workbenches first, to get a feel for the way things should be grouped, and where they should be placed.

Once I know where I want everything, I'll hold a tool up against the board, in it's desired location, and mark the position of the first nail.

I'm kinda...um, particular, so I'll then drill a pilot hole using a drill guide, to ensure that the nail goes in where I want it to, exactly straight, with minimal chance of bending. Then, repeat for the next nails, until you're done. (Using gravity to lock things in place, most items can be hung quite securely with 2 to 4 nails)

Then, once the tools are hung, they're traced in pencil, to allow everything to be quickly returned to the correct spot, and quickly identify anything that might be missing.

It can be time consuming, to do things this way. But, it allows me to put things quite close together, which maximizes the available space and gets as many tools on the board as possible. Also, the holders are pretty much bulletproof, and you never have to worry about any of them moving on you. :)

Here are a couple of quick example pics:

Attachments

• Pic01.jpg
      Pic01.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 279
    • Pic02.jpg
      Pic02.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 269

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I like to have as much up on the walls as possible, so that everything is visible, readily available, and within arm's reach.

In my workshops, I hang 1/2 inch plywood on the walls, and mount everything to that. Most things are directly mounted to the plywood with nails. 6d or 8d finishing for pliers, hammers, prybars, socket rails, carton knives, etc.. Sinkers for adjustable and combination wrenches, squares, rulers, and hand saws.

Anything that isn't hung in that fashion will probably go up on custom fabricated mounting brackets. I usually make those out of pieces of aluminum angle that are drilled, cut, and filed into the profile needed to accept the tool. Those are usually either 1/16 or 1/8 thick, and 1 or 1.5 inches on the legs, depending on what the bracket needs to hold.

I'll typically lay everything out on the workbenches first, to get a feel for the way things should be grouped, and where they should be placed.

Once I know where I want everything, I'll hold a tool up against the board, in it's desired location, and mark the position of the first nail.

I'm kinda...um, particular, so I'll then drill a pilot hole using a drill guide, to ensure that the nail goes in where I want it to, exactly straight, with minimal chance of bending. Then, repeat for the next nails, until you're done. (Using gravity to lock things in place, most items can be hung quite securely with 2 to 4 nails)

Then, once the tools are hung, they're traced in pencil, to allow everything to be quickly returned to the correct spot, and quickly identify anything that might be missing.

It can be time consuming, to do things this way. But, it allows me to put things quite close together, which maximizes the available space and gets as many tools on the board as possible. Also, the holders are pretty much bulletproof, and you never have to worry about any of them moving on you. :)

Here are a couple of quick example pics:

That is fantastic! I can only hope to be 1/10 that organized!

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I've never had a problem with the hooks coming out of my peg-board... I usually have to rip them out with vice grips when I want to move them... once they are in, they stay in.

SAme with me. most of the problems ive seen are 1/8" hangers in 1/4" hole pegboard.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I prefer to just pile crap up on the bench or in drawers. That way, I can spend lots of time trying to find the particular tool.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I found thicker wire pegboard hooks that seem to work better staying in place when hanging the problem tools. Still have a few “damnit” moments but not too many.

Attachments

• BB27B2C1-95E4-4859-99E7-8D7EE6F3BBEB.jpg
      BB27B2C1-95E4-4859-99E7-8D7EE6F3BBEB.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 180

DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    You take the ole 'nail in the wall' thing to a new level.. Clean set up with the simple wood background.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I also zip tie the hooks that tend come loose. I found a few "multitool" hook racks that will always be holding a few other tools to keep things in place (ala gravity) if I grab one or two. Especially good for various screwdrivers/pliers.

Also a huge fan of magnetic strips to hold stuff temporarily or for the odd bit of bent wire I always seem to need.

But honestly I use a ratcheting SnapOn screwdriver with magnetic bits and a few pairs of pliers 90% of the time, which really cuts down on the need to have a bunch of tools hanging on pegboard. Granted I don't work on cars or need special tools that often, I'll fish for them in the drawers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom