Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    TX
    DayQIOMU8AA5wvI.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Location, Location, Location.. not just for home prices.

Maine I read pulled 600 to their rally. Maryland would need ~3,000 2500 to match in ratio.

Last edited:

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    For all the crap Hogan gets, I honestly think he'll slow the bleeding at least. His HPRB panel seems pro carry. You get a Democrat, be prepared to sit in front of Jen, Liz and Vinny. You'll get a Governor pushing legislature to write more gun control bills. Get ready for 7-8% sales tax, etc. etc.

Voting conscious when you know one of the two are going to be seated is all platitude. Better really think which one won't be worse and cast the ballot accordingly, if your conscious can't vote for either.

^^^^This.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    For all the crap Hogan gets, I honestly think he'll slow the bleeding at least. His HPRB panel seems pro carry. You get a Democrat, be prepared to sit in front of Jen, Liz and Vinny. You'll get a Governor pushing legislature to write more gun control bills. Get ready for 7-8% sales tax, etc. etc.

Voting conscious when you know one of the two are going to be seated is all platitude. Better really think which one won't be worse and cast the ballot accordingly, if your conscious can't vote for either.
    +1. In a Super Majority state he has to pick his battles carefully as anything he does is easily overturned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• weevils.jpg
      weevils.jpg
      18.2 KB · Views: 313

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    +1. In a Super Majority state he has to pick his battles carefully as anything he does is easily overturned.

It continually amazes me to read how much power and authority people here believe that any statewide elected Republican has. When a Republican wins, which ain't often, it's usually for a specific reason or a fluke. When that reason no longer exists, it's back to the Democrats. And meanwhile, as we already experienced with Hogan, when an R wins and the Dems want something different, they strip that office of its traditional power and authority and give it to a reliably loyal Democrat, e.g. the AG, so it remains in Democratic control.

That's scandalous, but hardly anybody even raised a peep.

Do Maryland Dems not have any faith that their own institutions of government are fair, balanced, or just, so they have to cheat to win even after they lost? Apparently.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    He’s not my favorite but still voting for Hogan against Kamenetz. Kevin was an openly corrupt Balt Co executive and no one did anything and he’d be an openly corrupt governor. I don’t like Hogan’s 2A stance but at least the SJW nonsense and taxes were kept to a minimum. Under Kam you can guarantee new taxes, county codes being overridden so Kam donors can get favorable real estate deals (just like he did in Balt Co!), etc. Honestly they state GOP could run a clone of Caligula who promised mass executions, gov’t overreach, and non stop gladiatorial contests against political opponents, and I’d still vote for him over Kamenetz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Unfortunately, the headlines from the "media" is white guys in tactical gear march on capitols.

Not the image that I want the gun grabbers and fence sitters to have of gun owners, which is why I always try to show up at events in a coat and tie. THAT freaks people out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    People who think Maryland will elect a "pro 2A" governor should do themselves a favor and put the crack pipe down. The choice will be Kommienutz (or someone worse like Ben Jealous) and Hogan. Your choice will be to stay home, or at least attempt to stem the bleeding. Gerrymandering, taxes, and a whole lot else is at stake. We want Hogan in charge of the MDSP if a favorable carry ruling comes down. But if you hate your money, your guns, and yourself, by all means stay home and keep smoking the crack pipe.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    People who think Maryland will elect a "pro 2A" governor should do themselves a favor and put the crack pipe down. The choice will be Kommienutz (or someone worse like Ben Jealous) and Hogan. Your choice will be to stay home, or at least attempt to stem the bleeding. Gerrymandering, taxes, and a whole lot else is at stake. We want Hogan in charge of the MDSP if a favorable carry ruling comes down. But if you hate your money, your guns, and yourself, by all means stay home and keep smoking the crack pipe.

Some people inexplicably prefer to have the patient bleed out than attempt to stem the bleeding. Haven't seen an iota of supporting rationale.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Not the image that I want the gun grabbers and fence sitters to have of gun owners, which is why I always try to show up at events in a coat and tie. THAT freaks people out.
    It would be a great sight to see. The media would be a mess. I think turn out wouldn't be as high however. So there is a trade off.

Image is everything when all you get is a 5 second blip across the screen of the news programs.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

It's important to think about this. I noticed at the event yesterday, as I was doing laps and photographing things, that people wandering past the 2A gathering from the event down the street (it seemed to be thousands of people in pastels named Skipper and Buffy) ... that they were far more uncomfortable than curious. The looks weren't, "Gee, I wonder what these folks are talking about, something about civil rights and new legislation with constitutional problems... " but instead seemed more "who ARE these people and are some of them headed to a paintball match?" I'm not being snarky, here - I deliberately spent time watching and listening to non-participants as they passed.

Please don't flame me. I'm not a regular at these things, though I am a steadfast 2A supporter and put my money, and my social/educational, one-on-one campaigning where my mouth is and have for decades. But by newly showing up in Annapolis, I brought with me a lack of familiarity with the atmospherics that are baked into these things. I can tell you that the low-information, fence-sitting, I-didn't-even-know-anyone-cared-about-this types who might actually encounter such an event while strolling by ... risk being immediately alienated.

It's a lot like pulling over on a road trip and thinking you'll pop into a place you find for a quick bite, and finding it's full of bikers. They may be the nicest people in the world, but the carefully cultivated sense of "other," and the vaguely prickly vibe will make the average person absolutely want to keep them at arm's length.

I do worry that the instinct to not be labeled a Fudd within our own ranks too easily makes some folks reach for the Tacticool - and miss that the signals that sends to people who don't even know what those two words mean (in our context) can do more harm than good, PR-wise.

The very signals we send each other, showing common cause with those who are familiar with the symbols and contemporary 2A jargon/culture, seriously risk running off some of those we might otherwise constructively engage. No, I don't know what the answer is, except that it's all about one-on-one, and the opportunities for one-on-one with uninformed people are reduced when those folks encounter something that feels - to them, from their lack of exposure - at least unsettling, and possibly hostile.

Yeah, we DO feel hostile. I get it. The people maliciously trying to strip away our constitutionally protected rights deserve a hostile response. But we're not talking to them, because they don't care. The more odd looking or alarming we appear, the more they like it. Because they're hoping that by playing into stereotypes, we'll chase neutral people right into the arms of Moms Dishing Anxiety. Where's the visual solidarity/messaging sweet spot? Don't know. But we can't ignore that popular culture has solidly connected "militia" with "those scary rednecks," and the more that's the image of 2A support in popular awareness, the more ready people are to act against us, and feel safer for having done so. I for one hate providing props for their narrative.

I like the Patriot Picket imagery, because it harkens to what most think of as noble history, and suggests an informed, principled position. The more tac-ed-out trappings undo some of that, in the context of uninformed passers-by.

As a photographer who spent part of Saturday trying to see the event through the eyes of a typical journalist (let alone one with an Anti agenda), I could easily have used my experience to vilify, rather than positively portray the gathering. This is all theater, and I hate to arm the bad guys with the very rhetorical tools they most love to have.

i-qW7MCFw.jpg

i-9CM7s5T.jpg

i-V7J5P3m.jpg

i-ScGDMBK.jpg

i-wxjHmdV.jpg

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It continually amazes me to read how much power and authority people here believe that any statewide elected Republican has. When a Republican wins, which ain't often, it's usually for a specific reason or a fluke. When that reason no longer exists, it's back to the Democrats. And meanwhile, as we already experienced with Hogan, when an R wins and the Dems want something different, they strip that office of its traditional power and authority and give it to a reliably loyal Democrat, e.g. the AG, so it remains in Democratic control.

That's scandalous, but hardly anybody even raised a peep.

Do Maryland Dems not have any faith that their own institutions of government are fair, balanced, or just, so they have to cheat to win even after they lost? Apparently.

Face it, the majority of Maryland residents (I refuse to generalize with the term "Citizen" any more) just don't care as long as it affects someone else.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It's important to think about this. I noticed at the event yesterday, as I was doing laps and photographing things, that people wandering past the 2A gathering from the event down the street (it seemed to be thousands of people in pastels named Skipper and Buffy) ... that they were far more uncomfortable than curious. The looks weren't, "Gee, I wonder what these folks are talking about, something about civil rights and new legislation with constitutional problems... " but instead seemed more "who ARE these people and are some of them headed to a paintball match?" I'm not being snarky, here - I deliberately spent time watching and listening to non-participants as they passed.

Please don't flame me. I'm not a regular at these things, though I am a steadfast 2A supporter and put my money, and my social/educational, one-on-one campaigning where my mouth is and have for decades. But by newly showing up in Annapolis, I brought with me a lack of familiarity with the atmospherics that are baked into these things. I can tell you that the low-information, fence-sitting, I-didn't-even-know-anyone-cared-about-this types who might actually encounter such an event while strolling by ... risk being immediately alienated.

It's a lot like pulling over on a road trip and thinking you'll pop into a place you find for a quick bite, and finding it's full of bikers. They may be the nicest people in the world, but the carefully cultivated sense of "other," and the vaguely prickly vibe will make the average person absolutely want to keep them at arm's length.

I do worry that the instinct to not be labeled a Fudd within our own ranks too easily makes some folks reach for the Tacticool - and miss that the signals that sends to people who don't even know what those two words mean (in our context) can do more harm than good, PR-wise.

The very signals we send each other, showing common cause with those who are familiar with the symbols and contemporary 2A jargon/culture, seriously risk running off some of those we might otherwise constructively engage. No, I don't know what the answer is, except that it's all about one-on-one, and the opportunities for one-on-one with uninformed people are reduced when those folks encounter something that feels - to them, from their lack of exposure - at least unsettling, and possibly hostile.

Yeah, we DO feel hostile. I get it. The people maliciously trying to strip away our constitutionally protected rights deserve a hostile response. But we're not talking to them, because they don't care. The more odd looking or alarming we appear, the more they like it. Because they're hoping that by playing into stereotypes, we'll chase neutral people right into the arms of Moms Dishing Anxiety. Where's the visual solidarity/messaging sweet spot? Don't know. But we can't ignore that popular culture has solidly connected "militia" with "those scary rednecks," and the more that's the image of 2A support in popular awareness, the more ready people are to act against us, and feel safer for having done so. I for one hate providing props for their narrative.

I like the Patriot Picket imagery, because it harkens to what most think of as noble history, and suggests an informed, principled position. The more tac-ed-out trappings undo some of that, in the context of uninformed passers-by.

As a photographer who spent part of Saturday trying to see the event through the eyes of a typical journalist (let alone one with an Anti agenda), I could easily have used my experience to vilify, rather than positively portray the gathering. This is all theater, and I hate to arm the bad guys with the very rhetorical tools they most love to have.

Excellent points!

I can remember about a year ago someone VERY well respected in the community REPEATEDLY stressing "NO CAMO" because of the optics generated. We forget so quickly it seems. :innocent0

BTW, PLEASE read up on proper handling of the American flag. Draping it like that is disrespectful. :sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The mga can do that at any time right now. They just haven’t chosen to do it, yet.

Hogan hasn’t stopped them on anything and if he signs 1302 and or the bumpstock bill he has began helping them, period.

Or he could just let them become law by not vetoing them, he doesn't have to sign a bill for it to become law in Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hogan is either for the 2A, or he is against it.

He is governor of a state that ranks in the bottom 5 of freedom for its citizens. The argument that someone could be worse is invalid.

How about the argument that the real fight we need to wage is in the House and the Senate, and not for the Governor's seat. While Hogan does need to get re-elected to help with redistricting, that the majority may or may not accept, gaining seats in the House and the Senate, make it easier to uphold a veto by the Governor, and will make it harder for the Senate to over ride his redistricting plan, given that the numbers would not be there for cloture.

Just my .02 worth on this chess game.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Or he could just let them become law by not vetoing them, he doesn't have to sign a bill for it to become law in Maryland.

Correct, that’s just as bad

At that point he’s anti gun, period.

Folks can parse words but that’s exactly what it means.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    How about the argument that the real fight we need to wage is in the House and the Senate, and not for the Governor's seat. While Hogan does need to get re-elected to help with redistricting, that the majority may or may not accept, gaining seats in the House and the Senate, make it easier to uphold a veto by the Governor, and will make it harder for the Senate to over ride his redistricting plan, given that the numbers would not be there for cloture.

Just my .02 worth on this chess game.

All we need is a spate of R's on the ballot.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It should be pointed out that this was not strictly a PP or even an MDS event, and was not organized or produced by the group

I don't think PP leadership would feel comfortable issuing clothing advice to an event not solely of their making

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom