• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Where is THE CITY?

1100 Eager Street, there is a Johns Hopkins clinic. Across the street is a fairly new (built around 2004?) housing project, with a community pool. When I was there, they were dealing "open air" behind the pool house. A cabby called to me, by the color of my skin. How did I know he was talking to me? Because I was the only one of my skin color in the area. He asked me if I needed a ride, I told him I was waiting for the bus. His reply? "If you live that long". Suddenly, one of the crackheads came out from behind the pool house, walked up to me and asked me if I was "Five-Oh". I didn't say anything. I jst slid my hand down into my empty jacket, like I was grabbing at a weapon, and gave him "the look". He went back across the street, and before the rest of them could return, the bus showed up and took me away.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I feel ya'lls pain....

I lived in Highlandtown which wasn't a warzone but not a walk in the park either.. went to Dundalk Community College because it was close and nice...then got blackmailed into going to Baltimore City Community College in Mandowmin because I wasn't a county resident and they jacked my tuition up like 100%..... I went from a liberal to a moderate/independent in about a week.

Anyone who's against CCW and self defense... I invite them to take a drive down North Avenue or north of Monument Street (my route to school). There were times I didn't even stop at stoplights or stop signs in those hoods!

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I have been in the absolute worst neighborhoods possible in both Baltimore and Dc at all hours of the night. At times I knew I was the only one who wasnt armed. As a white guy getting out of a tow truck to vin cars in these areas I knew I was walking around with a target on my back. I normally walked around like I owned the place and stayed very aware of who was where and doing what but its a very uncomfortable situation. I think our legislators should have to spend some time in those neighborhoods at 3am or so in the Summer time UNARMED and see how they begin to feel about the right to carry.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Wow, it's bugging me. It's more than an issue. Do you think you have drawn on them if you were carrying?

I was so complacent that day. I just picked up the truck that my wife and I were giving to our youngest son. It was Friday at 4PM raining, I wasn’t even paying attention to what was going on around me. I did learn my lesson. I purchased my first handgun after that. I carry it whenever I’m outside in my yard. Ever since that happened I am very aware of my surroundings. So I don’t think I would have been able to draw due to that they opened both doors at the same time and I had two guns pointed at me at once.

James

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Where is THE CITY? Where I live, in Baltimore City? THE CITY is a grid...I'm near 300 west and 3200 north...care to visit? I've lived here and moved around THE CITY all over my whole life. You need to know THE CITY in order to move around it. It's not 100% bad or I'd be dead by now.

Events are held all over that people attend without incident. I will grant you that if you don't know how to move in THE CITY it will intimidate you. However, I've ridden my bicycle up Pennsylvania Avenues business district without fear. It's the street where I bought a super nice Remington 1100 for $304 from a pawn shop.

I've carried pepper spray for the last 20 years and used it twice while bike commuting...on unruly dogs. I've never needed it on bad guys. I guess I should add I saw a crook holding a gun to a guys belly during a robbery once, so it's not paradise.

To me, an area with a bunch of really big buildings and no grass/trees is "the city". I remember seeing a big orange metal sign that said Baltimore, the stadiums, and going past Little Italy and then a little ways further. I think north of Fells Point. I like being out in the sticks :toothless:

Sorry to cause the threadjack, guys.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Sorry to cause the threadjack, guys.
    derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    To get back on track...

We're waiting on Maryland's response on May 18th. Then the Judge Legg looks at everything. Then he rules on the case. Then the loser appeals.
    Have I got it right?

Rob.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I have been in the absolute worst neighborhoods possible in both Baltimore and Dc at all hours of the night. At times I knew I was the only one who wasnt armed. As a white guy getting out of a tow truck to vin cars in these areas I knew I was walking around with a target on my back. I normally walked around like I owned the place and stayed very aware of who was where and doing what but its a very uncomfortable situation. I think our legislators should have to spend some time in those neighborhoods at 3am or so in the Summer time UNARMED and see how they begin to feel about the right to carry.

I think something you may have missed about our legislators - they would be one "class" of people, that the MSP would approve - they are politically connected. They are not treated like common folks.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    To get back on track...

We're waiting on Maryland's response on May 18th. Then the Judge Legg looks at everything. Then he rules on the case. Then the loser appeals.
    Have I got it right?

Rob.

Pretty much. We may see an odd amicus or two; perhaps a "notice" of another case with something relevant. But that's about it.

I expect to see reverberations of Nordyke in Maryland's response. Utter BS that it is, they will use it.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Pretty much. We may see an odd amicus or two; perhaps a "notice" of another case with something relevant. But that's about it.

I expect to see reverberations of Nordyke in Maryland's response. Utter BS that it is, they will use it.

I was thinking the same thing and its unfortunate that the good guys won't be able to rebut.

There isn't a whole lot of the bad from Nordyke that will translate here in a Carry case. MD may try to take the 'Substantial Burden' test somewhere, but they'll fail...

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm thinking the whole 'strict scrutiny, even when it applies, does not have to prove compelling need because when guns are involved - the need to protect the people is automatically compelling' thingy...

Nordyke guts strict scrutiny, but only when guns are involved.

Keep in mind Maryland was suggesting carrying loaded assault weapons without a permit was an effective answer to intermediate scrutiny. Nordyke makes regulations presumptively lawful even under strict analysis.

Using Nordyke, they can craft an argument that regulation preventing handguns in the hands of the little people invokes a compelling interest. At that point, Nordyke's view of the second strict scrutiny prong - narrowly tailored - comes into play. Nordyke says the legislature is the right group to define "narrow". Once those are disposed of, that whole "least restrictive" mess becomes legal mumbo-jumbo.

Ahem.

It'll be up to our district court to decide if any of it matters.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I feel ya'lls pain....

I lived in Highlandtown which wasn't a warzone but not a walk in the park either.. went to Dundalk Community College because it was close and nice...then got blackmailed into going to Baltimore City Community College in Mandowmin because I wasn't a county resident and they jacked my tuition up like 100%..... I went from a liberal to a moderate/independent in about a week.

Anyone who's against CCW and self defense... I invite them to take a drive down North Avenue or north of Monument Street (my route to school). There were times I didn't even stop at stoplights or stop signs in those hoods!

I would ask the anti-gun funnel vision Maryland Delegates.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    MSP and our illustrious legislators' idea of lawful carry in Baltimore Shitty:

Attachments

• skidboot2.jpg
      skidboot2.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 257
    • oldwolfantlers.jpg
      oldwolfantlers.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 263
    • wolfanddakota.jpg
      wolfanddakota.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 257

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Hmmm....

So, scheduled 2 days after Plaintiff's final briefing of 4/25:
    04/27/2011 35 NOTICE of Hearing: Motions Hearing on Summary Judgment, paper nos. 12, 21 & 25, scheduled for 7/21/2011 at 10:00 AM in Courtroom 7A, 101 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, before Judge Benson Everett Legg. (Legg, Benson Everett) (Entered: 04/27/2011)

04/27/2011 Telephone Conference re: Status held on 4/27/2011 before Judge Benson Everett Legg. ( Recorded on Tape) (kam, Deputy Clerk) (Entered: 04/28/2011)

Docket
    12 - Plaintiff Motion for Summary Judgment, Nov 2010
    21 - Amended Plaintiff MSJ, Feb 2011
    25 - Defendant MSJ, March 2011

July 21st....

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads