• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something to fit between standard 16” OC studs. Won’t break the bank ($300 or less would be nice) and can accommodate at least one handgun and one long gun. Preferably something a bit heavier duty than the stack-on IWC-55 cabinet. Fire protection not necessary (but I wouldn’t mind it). Keyed entry is not a negative.

But super flimsy construction not okay.

From what I am finding my choices are a handgun safe that may actually be legitimately pry and tool resistant (I said resistant), or basically in in wall gun cabinet that a minute with a mallet and pry bar would have torn open.

Primarily looking to keep kids out and quick access, but if something exists that might resist a mildly curious robber I wouldn’t be upset by that (obviously nothing will stop a determined robber who is going to use power tools)

Wife would need to be able to open it (hence key that can go on her key ring and my key ring. Or biometric. Combo won’t work as she won’t remember it).

I've got one made by Mosler that fits between standard 16" OC studs and 4" deep. About 55" tall. Full flange on the front to cover the hole you cut in the wall. Lags into the studs from inside the safe in 8-10 locations. It's very sturdy with a 1/4" thick steel door. Push button combo lock. Weighs about 80-90 pounds. I picked it up used 10 years ago. Holds 2 or 3 long rifles with two shelves at the top. Quick and easy access and easy to conceal behind a door or in a closet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 226

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I've got one made by Mosler that fits between standard 16" OC studs and 4" deep. About 55" tall. Full flange on the front to cover the hole you cut in the wall. Lags into the studs from inside the safe in 8-10 locations. It's very sturdy with a 1/4" thick steel door. Push button combo lock. Weighs about 80-90 pounds. I picked it up used 10 years ago. Holds 2 or 3 long rifles with two shelves at the top. Quick and easy access and easy to conceal behind a door or in a closet.

That looks like a nice unit, but it'll probably be a challenge to locate one, as it appears they went out of business in 2001.

This link has a lot of interesting info about the company:

http://safeandvault.com/faq/115-gsa-containers/705-mosler-safe-company

Spoiler Alert: It seems some Mosler safes were so strong, they could withstand the force of a nuclear explosion!

That one wasn't the same model as yours, but my interest has been piqued, nonetheless.

So, I suppose I have a unicorn to go searching for now.
    :D

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    This is surprisingly heavy and pretty durable construction. It does have key access, not just electronic. Much more sturdy than the "cabinet" stack-on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-Long-Gun-Wall-Safe-with-Electronic-Lock-PWS-1555/207107091
    Might be the best choice for what you are looking for. I have one and no problem with the hinges but did have problems with electronic lock. Stack on tech support sucks big time. They would not send new lock they wanted me to take unit out of the wall and return it to Home Depot. I took the lock apart and found it to be gunked with cutting fluid and machining chips. Cleaned it up and did some hand polishing and it works great now.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    Might be the best choice for what you are looking for. I have one and no problem with the hinges but did have problems with electronic lock. Stack on tech support sucks big time. They would not send new lock they wanted me to take unit out of the wall and return it to Home Depot. I took the lock apart and found it to be gunked with cutting fluid and machining chips. Cleaned it up and did some hand polishing and it works great now.

Thankfully, I haven't had to deal w/tech support thus far. For the OP, I agree that with a couple strong magnetic hooks for hanging HG's, and only one of the shelfs installed you can get a decent amount of hardware in there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Is it still really lightweight metal? I assume is isn’t 10 gauge or anything like that, but it seems to be listed as twice as heavy as the regular in-wall cabinet, so I assume slightly beefier hinges, locking mechanism and maybe one step up in metal gauge from maybe 18 or something to 16 (or 16 to 14).

Do you remember how many keys came with it? Electronic pad with keys would be great so I can program a code, but also leave a key on my key ring and my wife’s (if it came with two, or just my wife’s if only one).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom