• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was at Walgreens this morning and the wife asked me to get a few things. While there I looked at acetone. Every once in awhile, I need acetone for something gun related, ie: cleaning threads or other parts. I came upon a container that is really nice.

It's 5.9 oz of 100% acetone in a Pump Top Bottle. Kinda like the stuff you used in chemistry class or electronics class. The bottle has a flip cap and once you have it open, you push down on a little tray/bowl and out pumps the acetone into the tray/bowl. Then you use whatever towel or rag to soak up the acetone and then use it however you please. It's a lot less messy than that open top bottle. I can't find any Google pictures but it only cost something like $4.50 and I think it's the best way to dispense acetone without making a mess.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Looks something like this?

ac906fab1c06a579bdd8a5cfc873d552.jpg

If so then yea they are great for solvents. I used to use them for cleaning electronics and fiber optic stuff at a previous job.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's something like that but it's sold with the acetone. The really cool thing about this bottle from Walgreens is that once you've finished the acetone, you can refill it time and time again. It's like buying that bottle and getting the first 5.9 oz of acetone free.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    This made me chuckle, great idea though. Building fiberglass boats we went through 55 gal. a week and a 5.9 oz. spill was small. I had to file with the DEA to be able to order this much. We would always have several clean buckets around to dip our hands in to remove various things. Currently I use it to prep teak or oily woods for finishing and literally just poor it on, evaporates fast enough.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    It's something like that but it's sold with the acetone. The really cool thing about this bottle from Walgreens is that once you've finished the acetone, you can refill it time and time again. It's like buying that bottle and getting the first 5.9 oz of acetone free.

That's a much better price than these I've been using for decades.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_231906346.jpg
      IMG_20180311_231906346.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 272

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's a much better price than these I've been using for decades.

But if truth be told, that dispenser you're using is much better quality. But for the average guy needing acetone a few times a year, it's a good deal.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I keep mine in a squeeze bottle like this... it's how I always used it in the lab, and I still use it this way. Can get in in lots of tight spaces to get gunk out.

Z0tKuuhcpIx_.JPG

I tend to label jars with Sharipes too... a little squirt will take the old marker right off.

One little known use for this stuff. It makes an EXCELLENT bee/wasp/hornet killer. If I have a renegade wingged pest in the house, I can pick them out of the sky with one of these (places where I would never use a pesticide spray). Hit them with a drop or two and they fall out of the sky, stone dead. Just watch your aim since acetone will melt most types of plastic.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    For those not aware of the health risk from long term exposure to acetone.

What are the potential health effects of acetone?
    Main Routes of Exposure: Inhalation. Skin contact. Eye contact.

Inhalation: Can irritate the nose and throat. At high concentrations: can harm the nervous system. Symptoms may include headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion. A severe exposure can cause unconsciousness.

Skin Contact: May cause mild irritation. Can be absorbed through the skin, but harmful effects are not expected.
    Eye Contact: EYE IRRITANT. Causes moderate to severe irritation. Symptoms include sore, red eyes, and tearing. The vapour also irritates the eyes.

Ingestion: Not harmful. If large amounts are ingested: Can cause effects as described for inhalation.
    Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact. May harm the nervous system. Conclusions cannot be drawn from the limited studies available.

Carcinogenicity: Not known to cause cancer.
    International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Not specifically evaluated.

American Conference for Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH): A4 - Not classifiable as a human carcinogen.

Teratogenicity / Embryotoxicity: Not known to harm the unborn child.
    Reproductive Toxicity: Not known to be a reproductive hazard.
    Mutagenicity: Not known to be a mutagen.

What are first aid measures for acetone?
    Inhalation: Take precautions to prevent a fire (e.g. remove sources of ignition). Move victim to fresh air. Call a Poison Centre or doctor if the victim feels unwell.

Skin Contact: Take off contaminated clothing, shoes and leather goods (e.g. watchbands, belts). Flush with lukewarm, gently flowing water for 5 minutes. If irritation or pain persists, see a doctor. Thoroughly clean clothing, shoes and leather goods before reuse or dispose of safely.

Eye Contact: Immediately flush the contaminated eye(s) with lukewarm, gently flowing water for 15-20 minutes, while holding the eyelid(s) open. If a contact lens is present, DO NOT delay flushing or attempt to remove the lens. Take care not to rinse contaminated water into the unaffected eye or onto the face. If irritation or pain persists, see a doctor.

Ingestion: Have victim rinse mouth with water. Call a Poison Centre or doctor if the victim feels unwell.

First Aid Comments: All first aid procedures should be periodically reviewed by a doctor familiar with the chemical and its conditions of use in the workplace.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    This one?

This is the one I use and it is as you described it.

Attachments

• Acetone.jpg
      Acetone.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 96

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is the one I use and it is as you described it.

That it except it's the Walgreen brand. I don't know if there's a difference in cost.

But that's the bottle. Not bad for the weekend gunsmith wannabee like me.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    That it except it's the Walgreen brand. I don't know if there's a difference in cost.

But that's the bottle. Not bad for the weekend gunsmith wannabee like me.

Works really well. I'be been using it on all my builds. Makes the job a lot easier.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I did a lot of milspec soldering I would use one of those with alcohol and a trimmed acid brush to clean flux off of solder joints. It worked great. I'm going to have to get some of these. Thanks for the heads up!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Ingestion: Not harmful. If large amounts are ingested: Can cause effects as described for inhalation.

Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact. May harm the nervous system. Conclusions cannot be drawn from the limited studies available.

Ingestion: Have victim rinse mouth with water. Call a Poison Centre or doctor if the victim feels unwell.

First Aid Comments: All first aid procedures should be periodically reviewed by a doctor familiar with the chemical and its conditions of use in the workplace.

This reminded me of an incident. Many years ago working on a job site someone was dispensing Acetone from a clear plastic water bottle. I had set my own water bottle down and a moment later mistakenly picked up the bottle filled with acetone and took a huge swig and even swallowed some before spitting it out.

When I went to the trailer they pulled up MSDS and said pretty much what you posted above. I was surprised but had no side effects. I think it was the flooring guys using it to clean off adhesive. The Site supervisor started reprimanding all of the crews working in the area but nobody fessed up.

So just a reminder dont put chemicals in other containers and dont lose track of your water bottle.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That SUCKS. Mouthful of acetone.

Worst I've had was probably engine coolant dump on my face (not hot) and siphoning gasoline.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I was troubleshooting a large power supply once and had a .3 Farad capacitor decide to vent itself inches from my face. I had to wipe all the oil and pcb crap off of my face. Myself and 2 other coworkers got several lungs full of that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom