• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Great setup,

Use LED strip lighting. They put out three times as much light as rope lighting and looks better. The strip has adhesive tape on the backing and can be bent to go around cornes. Can be cut every 2" and use a connector to splice if needed but I was able to run without splices and also was able to thread the strip in behind the hinges for a solid run.

Run it all the way around the inside of the door frame facing in. You won't see it and it will light up all those spaces that those little battery operated lights won't reach because they are shining down past the shelves and leaving shadows in the deep recesses.

Mount the motion sensor on the side wall on the same side as your recepticle to make it easier to run the wires. I put mine in the top hinge corner, using space that will never be used for anything. When you open the door, it will sense the motion of the door and turn on. It will remain lit as long as there is movement in the area. It will turn off after 15 seconds if motion stops.

Photo is without flash. The two battery operated lights in the ceiling of the safe are turned off. They are pretty much useless in my opinion.

For about $35 you can have decent lighting.

Strip and transformer is from Amazon.com

LED Strip Lights
    http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Stri...1359077011&sr=8-1&keywords=led+strip+lighting

12 Volt LED Power Supply
    http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Sup...112&sr=8-12&keywords=led+strip+lighting+power

Motion Switch is from www.superbrightleds.com.
    I use this switch because it uses terminals to connect the wires rather than molded connector which makes it easier to customise you wiring and these guys are cheaper than most other places.

Motion Switch. I use #2
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/switches/filter/Type,PIR_Motion_Sensor,60,4167:

P.S. I used this same system except I used a dimmer/on/off switch as under cabinet lighting in our kitchen.

Straightshooter, I really like the light system. Was just wondering why you chose motion sensor #2. Did you have to cut the plug end off of the power or light strip ? Thanks

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Straightshooter, I really like the light system. Was just wondering why you chose motion sensor #2. Did you have to cut the plug end off of the power or light strip ? Thanks

I chose that sensor because it uses screw terminals to connect the power to one side of the block and the light strip to the other which makes it much easier than splicing and soldering in tight places. Let's face it, you're doing a custom installation and nothing you order will fit without modification. You can either cut the plug off or attach the other end which is bare wires, I used the bare wire end.

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I chose that sensor because it uses screw terminals to connect the power to one side of the block and the light strip to the other which makes it much easier than splicing and soldering in tight places. Let's face it, you're doing a custom installation and nothing you order will fit without modification. You can either cut the plug off or attach the other end which is bare wires, I used the bare wire end.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Got it all pulled up and in my cart already. safe will be like a disco.:party29:

MattWasHere

New guy
    Dec 5, 2012
    St Mary's
    Hope this isn't too off topic but has anybody bought a gun safe from lowes? I was looking on their site and saw a couple possibilities but wasn't sure what their delivery would be like. Sounded a lot like dumping it at the end of my driveway... Which would be problematic.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I put the same lighting setup in my safe as Straightshooter did. Went in the other day after a long stretch & the lights didn't come on. Narrowed it down to the power supply, apparently it crapped out. So if you have a problem with yours, check the power supply first.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Since Engine4 brought this thread back from the dead. Here is an updated picture of the safe. It's still going strong with a few things added to it including hard wired lighting with motion sensors. It currently holds 8 handguns, 12 rifles and a bunch of mags, suppressors etc.
    Knowing what I know now, I would have definitely gone with a larger safe. Oh well, it gave me a reason to buy a second one. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
      IMG_0650.jpg
      91.6 KB · Views: 222

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads