Recently purchased stripped lower -- .300 AAC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I bought a stripped lower recently because I found a good deal. I was considering building it out with an upper from PSA for .300AAC as a pistol or rifle.

I've been perusing threads here and mostly came to the thought that I should build it out as a pistol first. I ordered a LPK with a carbine buffer/tube/stock, but will probably order a pistol tube/brace and use the stock from the kit on my older rifle. I have not ordered any upper parts yet because I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go. If I decide to build as a pistol, I will use the LPK and the pistol tube/brace to build out a .300AAC pistol with an 11.5" or 8.5" upper from PSA. Any issues with these lengths as a pistol?

Now comes the tricky stuff. If I build it out as a pistol first and then a rifle, or rifle first, whatever. My main question is for post-FSA lowers: do I have any restrictions to follow regarding barrel profile, etc for a 16" upper if it is .300AAC and not .223/5.56?

Also does anyone have any advice on the buffer spring/weight for a pistol length gas system? I've read that alot of folks use carbine, which is why I bought the package from PSA because it had that spring and buffer included.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    To answer you three specific questions:

Any issues with these lengths as a pistol?
    Nope

Do I have any restrictions to follow regarding barrel profile, etc for a 16" upper if it is .300AAC and not .223/5.56?
    There is a lot of debate on the forum on this topic. I believe the answer to be no but that is not legal advice.

Buffer spring/weight for a pistol length gas system...
    If you are shooting subsonic unsuppressed, you are going to want a light buffer and even then you may have issues depending on the powder and round. If you shoot subsonic suppressed, or supersonic unsuppressed, you should be fine with a carbine buffer. If you shoot supersonic suppressed, you may want a heavy buffer.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Do I have any restrictions to follow regarding barrel profile, etc for a 16" upper if it is .300AAC and not .223/5.56?
    There is a lot of debate on the forum on this topic. I believe the answer to be no but that is not legal advice.

Understood that this is not legal advice.

Maybe I will just build a pistol OR buy a stamp for an SBR. Seems easier. I'm just not sold on how much fun a pistol will be to shoot.

Thanks for all of the other info as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My advice.

Build as pistol. Apply for stamp. When stamp comes in, put on butt stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom