• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    And to his other question, I have traveled to PA and DE legally purchased magazines with over 10 rds. That isn't against the law in MD is it? Does the law say anything about an owner transporting his own property into the state of MD if they are over 10 rds?

Completely legal to transport your standard capacity mags into MD. You just cannot buy, sell, transfer or make them here.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    What I learned recently is that the mag capacity is linked to the serial number of the firearm. So I think they can sell you the gun with no mags, but not with substituted mags.

I found this out trying to see if I could take advantage of the Springfield free mags offer by having them send full capacity ones to family in another state. They said that legally it had to be the same as the original mags because of the SN linkage.

That doesn't help answer your query about driving to pick up mags, but maybe provides some context?

Who cares about the serial number "linking" to the magazine capacity?

If you purchase a handgun that has greater than 10 round mag capacity at an out of state gun shop, the FFL in MD will either give you a gun with no mag(s) or swap out with mag(s) that have a 10 round or less capacity.

Having an out of state gun shop hand you the mags as you leave the store before they ship the gun to MD is no different than driving to an out of state gun shop and buying standard capacity mags.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey Jarhead. I will check around. Any you recommend?

Most of that will depend on where you live or are willing to travel. I usually use Tyler Firearms (Halethorpe/Arbutus) because they are close to my office and easy to deal with.

Engage Armament in Rockville should be able to pin mags and probably 2A in Jessup. I dealt with both of these shops as well and highly recommend any of them.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    I would recommend 2A Sales in Jessup for anything.

I would also recommend that you look at something other than Bersa, but that's just me...
    I have heard good things about the 380 version and wanted something with a bit more kick but less than .40. I have heard good reviews about their guns. Why do you not like it? Any bad experience or bad reviews? I am still doing research on alternate budget 9mm. Was looking at LC9s, M&P Shield and even Highpoint 9. Already own Glock so just looking for something reliable but on pricey. (is that a paradox?) lol

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Hi. Jim. They do make a compliant version but it doesn't seem that anyone has them or can get them locally. Only the non compliant are available. Its a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm and I have been waiting for it to come in stock somewhere for a few months. I really liked the 380 version but with all the hassle of trying to find it and or wait, look like I may have to just move on.

I have a bi-tone version of that sitting on my shelf now.

Not a 10-rounder, so you would have to get mags in top of it, and as some noted, delaers, us included, don't just swap them out as we generally get stuck with the 10+ rounders.

Come by or call if interested.

Well once i find the useful info. I will be sure to share.

You have passed "the sniff test".
    Sorry for being a douche, but we get a shit ton of posts like yours as a new member first post (fishing for illegal ideas???) and VERY FEW follow through with additional questions about how to legally do things. You sir, appear to be a legitimate guy- sorry for my pessimism.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    You have passed "the sniff test".
    Sorry for being a douche, but we get a shit ton of posts like yours as a new member first post (fishing for illegal ideas???) and VERY FEW follow through with additional questions about how to legally do things. You sir, appear to be a legitimate guy- sorry for my pessimism.

Are there really that many people that come on here looking for illegal ways of doing things? -I don't want to know them, I'm just asking.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are there really that many people that come on here looking for illegal ways of doing things? -I don't want to know them, I'm just asking.

You would be surprised. The mods do a great job taking care of this issue, so many don't see the issues.

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    Who cares about the serial number "linking" to the magazine capacity?

I do, because I'm getting 4 10-round mags from Springfield instead of 4 16-round mags. When you fill out the online form, you have to provide the gun's SN. They then send you the same mags that gun shipped with, even if you give them an address outside of MD.

That was my point, and why I explicitly noted that it may not be relevant to the OP's situation...

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I have heard good things about the 380 version and wanted something with a bit more kick but less than .40. I have heard good reviews about their guns. Why do you not like it? Any bad experience or bad reviews? I am still doing research on alternate budget 9mm. Was looking at LC9s, M&P Shield and even Highpoint 9. Already own Glock so just looking for something reliable but on pricey. (is that a paradox?) lol

I have a LC9s and absolutely LOVE it!!! If you get a chance, rent one someplace (I went to Heritage in Frederick but other places rent them, too) and give it a try before you buy to be sure it fits you well. That's how I chose it over the M&P Shield. However, other folks swear by the M&P Shield. So best to drive then buy.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I do, because I'm getting 4 10-round mags from Springfield instead of 4 16-round mags. When you fill out the online form, you have to provide the gun's SN. They then send you the same mags that gun shipped with, even if you give them an address outside of MD.

That was my point, and why I explicitly noted that it may not be relevant to the OP's situation...

Nothing wrong with free mags.

I probably wouldn't bother knowing they could only send 10 round mags to MD for the average Joe to receive, regardless.

If people want 10 round mags in 16 round standard capacity gun that holds 16 then I can't criticize.

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    Nothing wrong with free mags.

I probably wouldn't bother knowing they could only send 10 round mags to MD for the average Joe to receive, regardless.

If people want 10 round mags in 16 round standard capacity gun that holds 16 then I can't criticize.

You can't criticize; you'll just make passive-aggressive comments on the internet...

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Update

Hey guys. Just in case anyone was interested I decided to purchase from Bud's. They had a reasonable price with free shipping. Haven't received yet but its only bee 3 days so have a little wait to get through. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Hey guys. Just in case anyone was interested I decided to purchase from Bud's. They had a reasonable price with free shipping. Haven't received yet but its only bee 3 days so have a little wait to get through. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Who is your MD FFL and what are they charging for the transfer? It is rare to buy an off the shelf pistol cheaper than local once you factor in shipping and FFL fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom