• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I enjoy shooting very much but going to public shooting ranges is really hard unless I take time off of work and go on a weekend (weekends have HUGE wait times 2-4 hours for rifles) tried MSAR and Freestate usually due to 50 yard ranges.

I think it's time to join a club, a lot of mdshooters have said join the Associated Gun Club of Baltimore, I see the range and it's not to far form me about an hour and the orientation will probably take the longest due to schedule.

Has anyone joined yet and what affiliated club did you join? How's the range availability on Saturday's and Sunday
    s? Based on there website I think they have like a 100 rifle lanes or something? Thanks for any information in advanced!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I enjoy shooting very much but going to public shooting ranges is really hard unless I take time off of work and go on a weekend (weekends have HUGE wait times 2-4 hours for rifles) tried MSAR and Freestate usually due to 50 yard ranges.

I think it's time to join a club, a lot of mdshooters have said join the Associated Gun Club of Baltimore, I see the range and it's not to far form me about an hour and the orientation will probably take the longest due to schedule.

Has anyone joined yet? How's the range availability on Saturday's and Sunday
    s? Based on there website I think they have like a 100 rifle lanes or something? Thanks for any information in advanced!

I just joined AGC and it is a great place to shoot. Not too expensive and you can work during the year for reduced annual dues. I got a whopping 4 hours credit so far :)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Take a look at Berwyn.
    Members get a key to the gate and shoot pretty much when they want if the sun's up.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I just joined AGC and it is a great place to shoot. Not too expensive and you can work during the year for reduced annual dues. I got a whopping 4 hours credit so far :)

How's the wait times on Saturday and Sundays? Did you join an affiliated club to get the range badge?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Take a look at Berwyn.
    Members get a key to the gate and shoot pretty much when they want if the sun's up.

Is it extremely busy saturday and sundays based on your experience? I saw them the price is sky high and I also hestitated about be voted in I'm not sure how that works I have fear of rejection lol. AGC seems like they are more laxed when joining as a member, is the experience worth it? Based on the pictures the ranges seems very small compared to AGC as well, does the picture depict how much space there is? thanks!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    How's the wait times on Saturday and Sundays? Did you join an affiliated club to get the range badge?

Almost any time will be open unless there is a sponsored shoot. Plenty of lanes. Thye have 25/50 pistol, 100 multi purpose, 200 rifle, trap skeet, archery and air gun. I joined the Garrison Rifle & Revolver ($20.00 + AGC $160) annual fees. So far I've been 3 times and plenty of shooting lanes open. Many targets to shoot at including steel. So alot of fun stuff going on there.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Almost any time will be open unless there is a sponsored shoot. Plenty of lanes. Thye have 25/50 pistol, 100 multi purpose, 200 rifle, trap skeet, archery and air gun. I joined the Garrison Rifle & Revolver ($20.00 + AGC $160) annual fees. So far I've been 3 times and plenty of shooting lanes open. Many targets to shoot at including steel. So alot of fun stuff going on there.

This sounds fantastic, I'll look into Garrisons

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Not sure where you live but as a MoCo resident I've found that the best time/place is the NRA range on Friday or Saturday nights. Around 8-9pm traffic really lightens up and it takes me about 35-40 minutes from White Oak (which is the same distance to MSAR or other ranges other than Gilbert's). Also, the crowd has usually thinned out by that point where there is no wait and if you're there at like 9:30, you can usually just shoot until close at 11pm.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo

You have to join one of the 27 or so clubs to buy a range badge. The range has a large number of shooting stations. I have never had to wait to shoot. Saturdays and Sundays are not a problem. There are also a lot of activities sponsored by various clubs and most are open to others besides the sponsoring club. You can check out the various clubs from the main web site.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Is it extremely busy saturday and sundays based on your experience? I saw them the price is sky high and I also hestitated about be voted in I'm not sure how that works I have fear of rejection lol. AGC seems like they are more laxed when joining as a member, is the experience worth it? Based on the pictures the ranges seems very small compared to AGC as well, does the picture depict how much space there is? thanks!

I'm no longer a member and I rarely if ever went on weekends. I work in Laurel and it was a quick ride to go shoot after work or during lunch even. The best thing about Berwyn to me was you got a key to the gate and went whenever you felt like it. Don't sweat the voting in, if you have a drivers license and a check book you're good to go. And yes, its a relatively small range. I'm sure there are people here who would invite you as a guest so you can try it out.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Take a look at Berwyn.

This. If you're already shooting at MSAR then you're in the area of Berwyn, which is located in Bowie. Their web site is here.

As pbharvey said, it's pretty much unlimited shooting 7 days a week if the sun is up. Unlock the gate, relock, go in and shoot all you want, then leave and lock up. No muss no fuss. 50', 50 yard, 100 yard firearm ranges, and a 40' archery range. (The formal times are 8 AM to sunset Monday thru Saturday; Sunday they start a bit late at 10 AM to sunset to be kind to the neighbors.)

I've never had a wait at Berwyn. Sometimes I've been the only one on the property at that time. Occasionally they'll book out one of the ranges for an Appleseed event or something, but you can always shoot at one of the other ranges when those rare events happen.

There are other great private ranges in MD: AGC, AAF&G, etc. and you can't go wrong with any of them. In part it may depend on where you live and what is close to you. But I'm more than satisfied at Berwyn in Bowie. I know they do have openings right now; a few other ranges have a much longer waiting list.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Lots of good clubs at the AGC. You must be a member of one of the 30 clubs before you can purchase a range badge. Membership dues vary from club to club but the range badge is the same price same for everyone. The trustees voted to increase the badge fee by $10 per year each year until it reaches $200. This year it increased from $150 to $160 and it will be $170 for 2017. If there are enough protests about the increases, the trustees may revisit the issue. Unfortunately, the AGC has been run by people who love to spend other peoples money and get very little for it. Sounds kind of like the government doesn't it? Anyway, my advise is to check out the clubs, they are listed on the AGC web site and pick one that suits your interests. Most clubs will specialize in a specific shooting discipline. That does not mean that you have to participate in the discipline but it is far more rewarding when you are in a club with members who like to shoot the same types of things that you do. If your interest is in NRA or CMP style highpower, Maryland Rifle Club is the club to be in. Garrison does a lot of pistol and Arlington is into 3 gun.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I'm a Meade Rod And Gun Club member. We use the ranges at Ft Meade on designated club days. We were on range 1 (600 yard rifle range) two Sundays ago, there was only 4 of us and two were the range officers. Lol. Not bad for only $25 a year. MRGC is one of the AGC clubs also.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    hmm ill check out meade I might join both clubs, I want to dive into this hobby head on. Im just so tired of crowded public ranges with huge wait time, thanks to all for the suggestions hopefully I dont get spoiled with private ranges lol

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    hmm ill check out meade I might join both clubs, I want to dive into this hobby head on. Im just so tired of crowded public ranges with huge wait time, thanks to all for the suggestions hopefully I dont get spoiled with private ranges lol

Join MD State Rifle and Pistol Club (annual dues $30.00 and can pay online) and you can join the AGC after the range orientation.

Or join Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club ($60.00 dues + 25.00 initiation fee + 30.00 if not NRA member).

Lots of options at the AGC!

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I found if I go to MSAR after work (between 6:00 - 6:30pm) it's not too crowded. I also feel it's safer with less people there.

I only spend about an hour at the range, so as a reloader, I plan ahead of time which guns and ammo I want to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom