Have you ever had to show your "papers"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    According to the ATF my form 4 for my little Sparrow supressor has been approved & I am just days away from getting the call from dealer saying that I can come get my 1st can.

I plan on following the advice of others & making numerous copies of my Stamp/Approval letter & carrying one with the supressor wherever it may go while keeping the original in a safe place.

So I am just curious...

Have any one of you actually been asked to produce your Stamp or Approval Letter?

I don't mean asked by someone who was curious to see what one looks like... I mean have you been asked by Law Enforcement or by some entity that if you DIDN'T produce it they would haul ur ass off right then & there?

We have all heard about the Federal punishment that awaits those who possess NFA items without the proper paperwork but has anyone REALLY been in a situation where they were glad they had a copy of their "Stamp" with them?

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I was told only ATF agents can ask to see your stamp, and to the best of my knowledge they don't spend much time hanging around ranges. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    In almost 30 years of playing with machine guns, sbr's and cans I have never been asked to see my paperwork. Ive used all my class 3 stuff at every kind of range out there and nobody has ever said a thing to me.( except asking if they can shoot my guns). I always say yes. Puts more folks on our side. I have copies of my forms with me but they just sit in the case.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Never been asked. As mentioned, only Feds can legally require that you show it but why create a situation needlessly?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly will not allow you to shoot any NFA toys without showing them the stamp first. The place sucks and the ownership sucks, their prices are obscenely high. I've been there once and will never return.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I've never been asked yet. Instead of carrying the original stamps around I take pictures of them with my cell phone which I always have with me and leave the actual stamps in my safe.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    This is a wonderful question and one I've often wondered about. I was tempted to slide a paper copy of my stamps into the grip of my guns but taking a snapshot of it with your cell phone is an excellent idea!

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I've never thought to bring a copy of my tax stamp for my .22 supressor, but I will be sure to take a picture of it before i head out to the range next time.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I keep copies in my range bag as well as scans on my phone.
    I have never been asked, but always have them handy. Not concerned about the ATF, but the LEO who doesn't know NFA toys are legal. Especially in this state.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Here ya go... (See waaaaay below.) Where it says "Secretary," read the Secretary or his Designee, (Agents.)

Just make a copy of your stamps and keep them with your NFA items at all times, just in case.

It just makes good sense.

If law enforcement runs across your MG, SBR, Suppressor etc., and you can't prove on the spot it is legally in your possession, it will likely be seized until you can prove it is yours, and it WILL be a PITA to get it back.

How? What if you are in an accident or become ill and get transported for treatment on the way to a shooting event, or a Agent wanting to make some points is at the range and calls you on it, it could happen.

Just make some copies and shove in them in your shooting bag.

26 U.S.C.
    United States Code, 2011 Edition
    Title 26 - INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
    Subtitle E - Alcohol, Tobacco, and Certain Other Excise Taxes
    CHAPTER 53 - MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS
    Subchapter B - General Provisions and Exemptions
    PART I - GENERAL PROVISIONS
    Sec. 5841 - Registration of firearms
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

§5841. Registration of firearms
    (a) Central registry
    The Secretary shall maintain a central registry of all firearms in the United States which are not in the possession or under the control of the United States. This registry shall be known as the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. The registry shall include—
    (1) identification of the firearm;
    (2) date of registration; and
    (3) identification and address of person entitled to possession of the firearm.
    (b) By whom registered
    Each manufacturer, importer, and maker shall register each firearm he manufactures, imports, or makes. Each firearm transferred shall be registered to the transferee by the transferor.
    (c) How registered
    Each manufacturer shall notify the Secretary of the manufacture of a firearm in such manner as may by regulations be prescribed and such notification shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section. Each importer, maker, and transferor of a firearm shall, prior to importing, making, or transferring a firearm, obtain authorization in such manner as required by this chapter or regulations issued thereunder to import, make, or transfer the firearm, and such authorization shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section.
    (d) Firearms registered on effective date of this Act
    A person shown as possessing a firearm by the records maintained by the Secretary pursuant to the National Firearms Act in force on the day immediately prior to the effective date of the National Firearms Act of 1968 1 shall be considered to have registered under this section the firearms in his possession which are disclosed by that record as being in his possession.
    (e) Proof of registration
    A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

(Added Pub. L. 90–618, title II, §201, Oct. 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229; amended Pub. L. 94–455, title XIX, §1906(b)(13)(A), Oct. 4, 1976, 90 Stat. 1834.)
    References in Text
    The National Firearms Act in force prior to the effective date of the National Firearms Act of 1968, referred to in subsec. (d), probably means the National Firearms Act in force prior to the effective date of the National Firearms Act Amendments of 1968, which is act Aug. 16, 1954, ch. 736, 68A Stat. 721, as amended, and which was classified generally to prior chapter 53 (prior §5801 et seq.) of this title.
    The effective date of this Act and the effective date of the National Firearms Act of 1968, referred to in subsec. (d) catchline and text, probably means the effective date of the National Firearms Act Amendments of 1968, which is Nov. 1, 1968. See section 207(a) of Pub. L. 90–618, set out as an Effective Date note under section 5801 of this title.
    Prior Provisions
    A prior section 5841, act Aug. 16, 1954, ch. 736, 68A Stat. 725, consisted of provisions similar to those comprising this section, prior to the general revision of this chapter by Pub. L. 90–618.
    Amendments
    1976—Subsecs. (a), (c) to (e). Pub. L. 94–455 struck out “or his delegate” after “Secretary” wherever appearing.
    Effective Date
    Section effective on first day of first month following October 1968, see section 207 of Pub. L. 90–618, set out as a note under section 5801 of this title.
    1 So in original. See References in Text notes below.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just like all the other old wives tales, you've heard a dozen stories, but, when REALLY asked........

No ones ever been checked.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just like all the other old wives tales, you've heard a dozen stories, but, when REALLY asked........

No ones ever been checked.

Wrong, we have been checked, and more than once.

Granted, it was at organized events, but from time to time the ATF does indeed check, so its not so much a wives tale.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Wrong, we have been checked, and more than once.

Granted, it was at organized events, but from time to time the ATF does indeed check, so its not so much a wives tale.

Besides an "event", this thread runs its course without one other single individual speaking up.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Besides an "event", this thread runs its course without one other single individual speaking up.

Yup, I guess you are right, no need to keep tax stamps with NFA items, and it couldn't happen because nobody spoke up here. ;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yup, I guess you are right, no need to keep tax stamps with NFA items, and it couldn't happen because nobody spoke up here. ;)

Nope, not at all what I'm saying. Just commenting on the fact that they're not out at ranges checking stamps like the MSP running laser on I-95.;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So, as sad as it may make make some folks here, two people can actually be right at the same time.

Or, lets say, both not completely WRONG.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    As I said in my original post I plan on carrying a copy of stamp w/me.

In no way was I or am I insinuating anyone should do otherwise.

I was just wondering if anyone had any REAL encounters with LEO or ATF where having those Papers or Stamps saved them from arrest until they could prove everything was legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom