Newbie has questions about transporting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    Hello, Folks! I bought my first gun about two weeks ago. I have been debating about posting this because I wasn't sure if this topic had been addressed here already. I had a few questions about transporting my gun/mags etc.. I went to a certain MSP barracks to ask these questions and these were my responses:

Q: Can I transport my magazines loaded?
    LEO: I don't know.
    Q: If I'm going to work, and there is an indoor range that I would like to visit on my lunch break, is that ok to transport my firearm? And if so, where is the gun to be stored during work hours? Locked in my truck or locked inside my tool box at work?
    LEO: I'm not sure.
    Q: If I'm going on vacation, say Ocean City or whatever, can I take the firearm with me if I want to visit a gun Range on the Eastern shore during my stay?
    LEO: You need to talk to someone in licensing division.

And I have many more questions...I have a truck so I cant put gun in the trunk,..is under rear seat ok?..Ammo and firearm must be separate..does that also mean both must not be within reach of the driver? Opposite ends of the vehicle?...my head hurts..
    Also, if I get pulled over, chances are it won't be by a guy from the licensing division....

OK..so I'm not trying to portray the officer in any particular way as he was very nice and understood that I was new and full of questions. I am just learning and afraid of being non-compliant. The MSP website is a little confusing and gives me a few links about firearms transporting like these:

Please refer to Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203 for a detailed account of wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun. You may access the Maryland General Assembly website at http://mlis.state.md.us/ You can access the Federal requirements through www.atf.gov and conduct a search for “27 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 178” and then look for “Transportation of Firearms.”

When i click the links, I get to other sites and then perform searches for the appropriate code/title/section, but can't really find the answers I'm looking for. If anyone out there can help my out, I am listening because knowledge is power!

I hope I'm not rehashing a previous thread and If I have I apologize.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :sad20:

Isn't MDSP supposed to know the law??

mags can be loaded, but they need to be separate from gun. firearm must be holstered or cased and unloaded. I'd keep it out of plain view and inaccessible.

You can not transport your firearm and leave it in your car while at work*. Or your tool box. DEFINITELY not your tool box, that could be construed as on your person.

The vacation thing depends on the policies where you are staying. If you own the property or its a timeshare, you may be GTG. Hotel, probably not because a lot of hotels have policies.

* unless you own the business or property.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    What type of gun, if I'm not mistaken, there is a big difference between a handgun and an unregulated long gun. Stay out of D.C., I know that much

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring

mags can be loaded, but they need to be separate from gun. firearm must be holstered or cased and unloaded. I'd keep it out of plain view and inaccessible.

You can not transport your firearm and leave it in your car while at work*. Or your tool box. DEFINITELY not your tool box, that could be construed as on your person.

The vacation thing depends on the policies where you are staying. If you own the property or its a timeshare, you may be GTG. Hotel, probably not because a lot of hotels have policies.

I think he's referring to the toolbox that I'm assuming he has bolted in the bed of his truck.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

No, Unfortunately I don't have one of those. I'm a mechanic, so it would be in my Work toolbox. I don't like the idea of that anyway.

That would be a big no-no, as it would be considered a concealed firearm once the toolbox leaves your truck during the work day.
    Legally, you can take a pistol to and from the range. If in OCMD, the hotel/condo/house/RV becomes your home for the time being. Transporting from home to hotel and back is legal.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    That would be a big no-no, as it would be considered a concealed firearm once the toolbox leaves your truck during the work day.
    Legally, you can take a pistol to and from the range. If in OCMD, the hotel/condo/house/RV becomes your home for the time being. Transporting from home to hotel and back is legal.

IF hotel policy allows it. Some do not. After Paddock, I'd be cautious here, esp in gun hating Ocean City.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nothing in MD law requires ammo and firearm to be separate. Only that the gun not be loaded. Even FOPA allows it, unless the vehicle had no trunk. Then either ammo OR firearm must be in a locked case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    get a cable locked pistol safe. lock it under rear seat and to frame .Put un loaded mag. in console or glove box which ever one your registration isn't in all ready my 2 cents safes are around thirty bucks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Crap ! My long post just self erased :(

I'm not up to recreating right now, maybe later , if all the answer aren't already provided by then .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    My Designated collector letter says:

Do not take your collection far.
    No loaded carry in your car.
    You cannot take them on a boat.
    You could not, should not, with a goat.
    Not after dark! Not on a train!
    Enclosed or holstered, should it rain!

Make sure to lock them in a box.
    Safety on (except for Glocks)

Loaded carry in your house.
    Just please be quiet like a mouse.
    We do not like guns here or there.
    We do not like them ANYWHERE!

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Got it. I'm not a lawyer, but you should be good if you're employer is okay with you keeping it locked in your box during work hours. There's always "don't ask, don't tell", but you're taking a serious risk if some nosey person discovers your secret.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I always keep my magazines empty in my automobile. If I’m going to the range, I’d rather load them there. IMHO it is not worth the chance that you get pulled over and spook a policeman. While most will not overreact, it’s not worth it to me to chance it. This is especially true if you have the gun and mags in the same automobile cabin (not the trunk). Again, I am not claiming that it is illegal to have loaded mags or that my approach is for everyone. YMMV.

Remember, you are in a liberal stink-hole of a state where common sense has no place. Always err on the side of caution when it comes to weapons. They’ll make an example out of a hard-working, law-abiding citizen, and give the gang- banging, inner-city hood a slap on the wrist.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Generally, yes, the police need to know the law, but I’m going to defend them on the basis that we, as gun guys need to know the confusing mess of gun laws, while the police need to know a little about everything from spitting in the street to traffic violations to pissing on someone’s leg.

I still LOLed at the OP’s answers to his questions.

OP, your getting good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom