• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    This is a question only you can answer. All the advice above is good advice. You just have to try a good assortment of brands.

I was set on a CZ Shadow SP-01 tactical for around 600 dollars as my max budget. Researched the gun for weeks and felt like it would he a good fit. Went in to buy it the day I turned 21. The store owner put an HK P30L in my hand and the rest was history.

I knew nothing about guns at the time. But I knew this was the one. 200 dollars over budget but fit my hand like it was made for it. Still my go to handgun 7 semi autos later.

Ultimately, you have to try on your own and have an open mind. Very easy to be sucked into blind brand loyalty and self-validation in this industry.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If I had no previous firearms experience the first thing I would do is go to a range that had several different brands/models I could rent and try a bunch of different ones. It's the only way to be sure. You may surprise yourself and end-up liking something you never even considered.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    These are some of the recommendations I found online for a 1st 9mm

Glock 19 9mm Semi Automatic Pistol.
    1971 Browning Hi Power 3” (CC BY-SA 2.0) by ~Steve Z~
    CZ 75B SP-01 Shadow Competition 9mm Handgun.
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.
    3/365” (CC BY-ND 2.0) by MWE.Daniel.
    SIG P226” (CC BY-ND 2.0) by cb_agulto.
    P99” (CC BY 2.0) by redirecTed.

I Googled the "3” Hi Power" suggestion because its so weird and it looks like the suggestion comes from a source picture posted by someone at Amirkabir University of Technology in Iran, which gets even weirder. Weirder yet, the actual picture in question is of a standard 118mm (~4.5") barreled HP.

Reasons to buy a HP; slim frame, short reach to trigger (considerably shorter than all the others on the list) classic design that has been in production since 1935 and has only this week stopped. The gun has made a lot of people very happy for a long time. Outside of MD mags up to 15 rounds can be purchased for the HP.

Reasons not to buy a HP; a number of shooters have trouble with hammer bite that cannot be cured by holding the gun lower on the grip, magazine safety makes trigger pull on some HP's gritty and stiff (the mag safety isn't hard to remove), trigger reset is fairly long, esp compared to a worked up 1911 or S&W

I am a big fan of the HP pistol, definitely one of my favorites and if the new Turkish made variant gets on the MD Roster, I'll be purchasing one.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    G 19 is great

Idk where you are but if your close to Charlotte hall swing by Gymratz , or you legs, and handle a few and see how they feel

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am far from a "Glock Fan boy" and I have BIG hands so maybe opposite of you. I ended up in a Glock17 as it fit me NICELY, you may want the 19. Why Glock? Parts, anywhere... anytime.. gunshop? they will sell Glock parts. They are no nonsense. Your first gun will be abused and hurt... you wont feel bad about a composite one. Get a nice gun for your SECOND gun :)

Why my first real handgun (I built an AR pistol a couple of years ago, but I have a hard time considering it a pistol) is going to be a Glock 17. I’ve made noise with about 6 or 7 handguns so far and handled about 2x that. A 17 fits my hands pretty well (actually a 40 points SOOOO natural for me, then again so did the 686+ I was toying with last week).

For me I hate MD Leg and I love tinkering, so my first real handgun is a G17 from an 80% I am building. Waiting on the barrel to be delivered and still need to get the slide parts kit. Otherwise ready to.

I did finally get my HQL, but, fun to do.

Perks are parts everywhere, can customize it anyway I want and it fits my hands really well.

Not my ideal handgun otherwise as I consider glocks about as utilitarian as a crown Vic, but not expensive (unless you want to make it expensive) and it gets the job done.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I am a CZ Fanboy, but i would listen to the advice to handle a few pistols first.

Before I bought my first pistol, I was sure it was going to be a Glock. Luckily I was able to shoot one first and absolutely hated it. The ergonomics just werent for me. Another example was when I bought the XDE unseen. I ended up selling that too.

The only pistols I have kept are the ones I was able to handle before purchasing. And, youll find that a few manufacturers will meet your needs. For me it's CZ, FN, Walther and Sig. As you become more comfortable with shooting, you'll be able to look past some of the ergos if it gets you what you're looking for. I eventually bought a Glock 30 cause of a specific need, but I made a few changes to remove the "hate".

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

That should read as a "Browning Hi Power Mark 3", which is a very nice handgun, it's only draw back, is that it's a single action gun and the magazine disconnect, which can be easily removed.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I have a Springfield XD-E in 9mm and as the OP indicated it does fit in the hand nicely (and is a pleasure to shoot as well). The Springfield has some great reviews (google it). If you like the concept of a hammer, safety/decocker, Sa/Da, ergonomics and simple field strip; it’s a great contender. And it won’t break the bank.

The CZ is a much bigger framed firearm and as many other have mentioned, it is pricey and a high end piece. You should visit a few gun shops and a gun show. You really should get a feel for the frames, actions, and features. Then find a range that rents some guns that are high on your list...give them a test drive.

Keep in mind your intended use and desired calibers. Are you looking for a competitive range gun or plinker? Home defense or hunting? Is ease of Concealed carry or holstering a priority? Aftermarket upgrades, parts and magazines easily available? The Caliber you shoot will also affect the comfort and accuracy of the firearm. There is a quite a difference between shooting 50 rounds of 9mm and 10mm.

With either of your two previously stated firearms, you likely won’t be disappointed. Moreover, this likely will not be your one and only gun either. So if you find the first gun is lacking, you will have a better eduction and experience into what your needs are. It’s truly your right and experience....enjoy the ride.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

That should read as a "Browning Hi Power Mark 3", which is a very nice handgun, it's only draw back, is that it's a single action gun and the magazine disconnect, which can be easily removed.

As I implied, Steve Z may not be a native English speaker.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    My view is your first handgun is like your first love: You think you'll be perfect together and she's everything you'll ever want. But it is because you don't know any better until you leave her and seek out something different.

I sold my first handgun, a CZ75B in .40S&W. I got what I thought I wanted, didn't like it, sold it and then got what I really wanted, a Sig P220 in .45ACP. So treat that first handgun purchase like a first love and don't get too attached to her or spend a lot on her. She's your first, not your last. Expect she'll wind up in the safe and probably come out when you want friends to play with her because you'll don't really care about her anymore.

So get something inexpensive but solid, a couple mags and no more. Get it out to the range and learn it to the point you can shoot it ok, know it by feel and then figure out what works and what doesn't for you and go back to the store and get what you REALLY want. It's a process. If you can rent, borrow or try other guns during this process, so much the better.

The only area this doesn't apply is .22LR pistols. Everyone should have one or two in the safe. But given a good .22LR can cost as much as a Glock, make sure you at least think you like it before putting down the money.

Matt

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you like BHP or the CZ75 then consider either an Israeli Kareen or Jericho 941.

Great pistols and probably the best deal for your dollar. You good probably get both close to what you would pay for some of the high dollar alternatives.

Nothing wrong with starting out SAO while you learning your marksmanship and carrying a BHP Condition 1/Cocked & Locked is as safe as carrying any DA/SA or Striker Fired DAO.

You master a HP or CZ75 and you will have the knowledge and skill to master any other pistol on the market.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    buy a 22 for your first handgun. cheap to shoot, perfect your skills

I second this.

I used to say this. My daughter rented a ruger revolver .22 and fell in love with revolvers after rejecting a few pistols, including a very fancy Beretta 92FS. So I bought a .22 revolver for her to shoot. Lasted until the third range trip, where I let here shoot a large framed 357 revolver. I figured she would hate it as much as the pistols.

Now she'd rather shoot the 357. And she is pretty damn accurate too. :whoa:

Moral of the story.... if the gun fits correctly in your hand, the caliber wont matter so much. But if it fits badly, even a 9mm will bite.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Rent several at the range. it will save you money, and will be enjoyable. Learn what you like.

Better yet, stick around MDS and make some friends and let people get to know you. Attend some events or pickets if you like.

Offer to pick up the range time, kick a buck for some ammo and I’ll bet your new MDS buddies will be glad to go to the range with you and let you try out some of their favorite pistols and give you some shooting and range pointers. You need to learn Range rules and etiquette as well as marksmanship and that is only going to be learned from hanging out with good, trustworthy and reliable shooting buddies.

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I used to say this. My daughter rented a ruger revolver .22 and fell in love with revolvers after rejecting a few pistols, including a very fancy Beretta 92FS. So I bought a .22 revolver for her to shoot. Lasted until the third range trip, where I let here shoot a large framed 357 revolver. I figured she would hate it as much as the pistols.

Now she'd rather shoot the 357. And she is pretty damn accurate too. :whoa:

Moral of the story.... if the gun fits correctly in your hand, the caliber wont matter so much. But if it fits badly, even a 9mm will bite.
    I don't see what that has do with .22 being cheap to shoot and a good cartridge for a new shooter to develop their skills.

To be honest it sounds like you're just proud of your daughter. I guess I'm happy that you are. Good for you and her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom