• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Let's have this thread just to keep track of the Bills in one place. Bill Number , short title , maybe Sponsors .

We can disect , discuss , and stratagise them as needed in the usual places , but it will be helpful to have a clean thread with just the Bill info .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As of time of this post, I am looking at the 34 ( including crossfiles , and near duplicates ) and will shortly post some preliminary groupings .

BUT , I'm NOT seeing the Demanding Mom Bill , or the new & improved bump stock ( or anything else from bump stock press conference) . Are they someplace else ?

Preliminary count - Anti 10 ( including 1 official cross, and one defacto cross )
    Pro - 20 (including 5 official cross )

Ambigous or nuetral - 3

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Looks like they already killed the bill that would have allowed churches to allow people carry during services for protection of the church and flock. Those silly peasants again, thinking they can tell people its okay to carry in their own church with permission from the pastor. .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks for the Links John .

But I still didn't see the Moms Demand Action Bill they were pimping at their event " and its still being written " . Or the Bill(s) announced at the big press conference this past wensday . ( Not on the MGA website as of yesterday afternoon .)

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Thanks for the Links John .

But I still didn't see the Moms Demand Action Bill they were pimping at their event " and its still being written " . Or the Bill(s) announced at the big press conference this past wensday . ( Not on the MGA website as of yesterday afternoon .)

I though the bill at the press conference was SB 707, the revamped bump stock.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence - Moms

Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence (MPGV) and Moms Demand Action are two different but related groups.

MPGV's agenda was a ban on bump stocks (SB0707/HB0888), abolition of the Handgun Permit Review Board (SB0741/HB0819) and a study group on gun violence. (SB0545/HB0432) All have been filed and posted. Not all of the links to the bill pdf are active but should be by tomorrow.

MPGV used to be Marylanders Against Handgun Abuse (MAHA) and them reformed as CeaseFire Maryland to become part of the national CeaseFire umbrella.

Both MPGV and CeaseFire Maryland failed to file tax forms and their charters where forfeited by the state. I filed articles of incorporation for both names and became the legal owner of the names.

You should have been there in committee when they testified and MAHA/CeaseFire and Senator Nancy Jacobs called them out as not entitled to use the name. They disagreed and Jacobs held up copies of the articles of incorporation.

MAHA was named as being entitled to a seat on the handgun roster board but their person did not get a seat because I stepped in as the owner of MAHA and disavowed their person as authorized to speak for MAHA.

They ended up passing a law to remove MAHA and name "a group that advocates for gun safety...."

Still is was fun. I am probably the only 2A guy in the country who owns the rights to two (former) anti-gun groups.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes MPGV and Demanding Moms are seperate groups . In the past they have worked closely , but at present their leadership is going to great lengths to distance their group from the MPGV.

But Moms Demand also has their ( singular ) Bill . From their public speaches , and conversations with leaders , they purport it to be narrowly focused upon persons CONVICTED of domestic violence have a specific time period to surrender or dispose of firearms . And nothing else . Previous years versions included much more . This is why I really want to read the actual text for this one .

At the time of their Rally I asked for the Bill number, and was told " It's still being written " .

IF the written version is similar to the verbal sumations , it is surprisingly benign for them. Has issues of conflict with Federal law , and redundancy with both existing Federal and State Law , but surprisingly benign .

And of course Myself , and every known 2A group is opposed to actual Convicted Violent Felons possessing firearms . We just want to make sure Due Process is followed prior to confescations .

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Looks like they already killed the bill that would have allowed churches to allow people carry during services for protection of the church and flock. Those silly peasants again, thinking they can tell people its okay to carry in their own church with permission from the pastor. .

I've never understood the authority of the Government to tell a business things like this (can't carry in your church, can't allow smoking in your restaurant, etc). If enough customers don't want those things then business will change their rules or go out of business.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I love how they embrace Mandatory Minimum Sentencing for use of one of these "devices" in a felony, but refuse to accept mandatory minimum amendments when attached to other bills....

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence (MPGV) and Moms Demand Action are two different but related groups.

MPGV's agenda was a ban on bump stocks (SB0707/HB0888), abolition of the Handgun Permit Review Board (SB0741/HB0819) and a study group on gun violence. (SB0545/HB0432) All have been filed and posted. Not all of the links to the bill pdf are active but should be by tomorrow.

MPGV used to be Marylanders Against Handgun Abuse (MAHA) and them reformed as CeaseFire Maryland to become part of the national CeaseFire umbrella.

Both MPGV and CeaseFire Maryland failed to file tax forms and their charters where forfeited by the state. I filed articles of incorporation for both names and became the legal owner of the names.

You should have been there in committee when they testified and MAHA/CeaseFire and Senator Nancy Jacobs called them out as not entitled to use the name. They disagreed and Jacobs held up copies of the articles of incorporation.

MAHA was named as being entitled to a seat on the handgun roster board but their person did not get a seat because I stepped in as the owner of MAHA and disavowed their person as authorized to speak for MAHA.

They ended up passing a law to remove MAHA and name "a group that advocates for gun safety...."

Still is was fun. I am probably the only 2A guy in the country who owns the rights to two (former) anti-gun groups.

Awesome! Would have liked to have seen that.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Wow, that is some work. You have to file and pay every year or did you let it go? I get disgruntled paying every year for charters we actually use.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've never understood the authority of the Government to tell a business things like this (can't carry in your church, can't allow smoking in your restaurant, etc). If enough customers don't want those things then business will change their rules or go out of business.

In the interests of “what is best for the general public”. Same reason business can’t discriminate based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity. It’s “what’s best for the public”.

Most places smoking is still allowed in business and restaurants, you just have to have a seperate area for smoking and it has to have a seperate ventilation system. Hence too expensive.

Carrying doesn’t affect anyone else other then their sensibilities. Smoking can’t really say the same. Just my 2 cents.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

It's because the liberal government opposes a free-market, self relating economy. Markets have provided their ability to self regulate for decades. Look at things like Underwriters Laboratory and Angie's List. These are private organizations that provide the buying public with information that influences their decisions. Expansive government does not believe we are smart enough to self regulate.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's because the liberal government opposes a free-market, self relating economy.

Expansive government does not believe we are smart enough to self regulate.

Expansive government wishes to expand its size and power to regulate (and tax, to pay for expanded government).
    It's an existential thing for them, just like a cancer: increase growth or die. Of course, in the long run, they're just speeding up the inevitable death, as they destroy their host.
    But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead. - John Maynard Keynes

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Yes MPGV and Demanding Moms are seperate groups . In the past they have worked closely , but at present their leadership is going to great lengths to distance their group from the MPGV.

But Moms Demand also has their ( singular ) Bill . From their public speaches , and conversations with leaders , they purport it to be narrowly focused upon persons CONVICTED of domestic violence have a specific time period to surrender or dispose of firearms . And nothing else . Previous years versions included much more . This is why I really want to read the actual text for this one .

At the time of their Rally I asked for the Bill number, and was told " It's still being written " .

IF the written version is similar to the verbal sumations , it is surprisingly benign for them. Has issues of conflict with Federal law , and redundancy with both existing Federal and State Law , but surprisingly benign .

And of course Myself , and every known 2A group is opposed to actual Convicted Violent Felons possessing firearms . We just want to make sure Due Process is followed prior to confescations .

It has started as a domestic abuse bill the last 3 years, but was amended or amendment circulated to make it a seizures for any disqualifying crime bill every year.

Won't work unless they have universal registration, retroactively. Which This is just a stepping stone to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom