• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    I've been seriously considering buying a MG, but am in need of advice and expertise. I'm fairly comfortable with guns, but I'm totally new to anything that fires more than one shot with every pull.

I know about the NFA process (and the need to register with MDSP), but I'm totally unsure about the firearms themselves. I'm looking to be able to shoot a rifle caliber as well as 22lr due to the guilt factor (while I can afford to shoot a case of .223, I feel less guilty going through .22) and based on the suppressors I have in NFA jail.

I've looked at a couple of M16s in some of the industry partners here and was close to buying a SGW conversion. Would that make sense over a Colt? I'm looking to shoot primarily rather than collect, and mentally I'm telling myself I'm buying this to never resell and need to be ok with it if it breakssince it can't be replaced. I also saw an AC556 that came with a conversion kit, and I really liked it as well.

Cost is a considerable factor. I get that this is absolutely a buy once cry once situation, but I can't swing a Colt for 30k right now, whereas I could do under 20k for a converted M16 or an AC556. The only thing that's given me pause on the AC556 is the word that Ruger has stopped servicing them. I've read that there's a fair crossover of parts with the Mini 14, but does that include the parts that frequency break or wear? Since I don't consider myself an expert I was also concerned about the condition of the carbine itself. It hiccupped a couple of times with 22lr, though in all fairness my dedicated uppers sometimes have issues. If I go back for the AC556, what should I look for to assess the condition of the weapon?

I'm also a fan of things that can be braced on the shoulder. Am I missing anything that shoulders and shoot rifle and 22 calibers?

Summary of questions:
    Original Colt over conversion?
    Things to look for that could cause a MG to be rendered useless?
    Alternatives to models above?
    Can somebody hold my hand?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why don't you look at an MK-760 9mm. A less expensive way of getting into MG scene and shoots just about any 9mm ammo. Actually, the cheaper the ammo, the better this thing shoots.

Good Luck!

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    The AC556 is a great choice if it fits your budget. The Ciener 22 conversion is very reliable, in my experience. If you're concerned about replacement parts you could pick up a parts kit, basically a demilled police gun with every part minus the receiver. Good luck with your search.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Aren't there .22lr and 5.56mm uppers available for MACs?

I did find mentions of a MAC Sabre for rifle (mostly terrible), and I've also found mentions of the community building on that since the IP wasn't patented. It might be an option for my next one.

Why don't you look at an MK-760 9mm.

Because of the four cans in jail none of them are 9mm.

The AC556 is a great choice if it fits your budget. The Ciener 22 conversion is very reliable, in my experience. If you're concerned about replacement parts you could pick up a parts kit, basically a demilled police gun with every part minus the receiver. Good luck with your search.

I think I'll probably do that, thanks!

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    AC556 is not a bad choice given your budget. However, an AR15 registered receiver is a better choice, if you can swing it, in my opinion. It's much more versatile. I went with a Colt SP1 conversion. There are not many platforms out there where you have such a large range of calibers. I have uppers for mine in .22LR, .223/5.56, 5.45x39mm, 5.7x28mm, 300BLK, 7.62x39mm, 9mm, & .40S&W.

.22LR can be finicky in any full auto platform. Success here is often a combination of finding the right mags, the right ammo, and the right amount of lubrication.

Last edited:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have the AC556F and its great BUT mags are a pain, parts are a pain and it really only likes brass ammo. The conversion kit is very hit or miss with reliability. I bought mine in 1992 for $890.00 NIB from Woodbine guns. Those days are long gone. Go with the M-16 family of guns if you can. Lots of cool stuff, parts are cheap and you can fix them yourself.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Are your incoming cans rated for F/A?

Three of them are including a .22 and a .30. I'm not super interested in suppressing .223/5.56 and in the Ruger's case I know the muzzle threading was odd from the factory.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I went M11/9 with a .22 conversion upper as the "cheap" route. If I wasn't worried about paying for college for my daughter, I'd get a registered, converted AR-15 lower which offers even more options for different calibers.

If you get anything with collector value it's a catch-22 of not wanting to shoot it. An original Colt would be nice but why pay a premium if you are looking for a shooter?

The M11/9 is a bullet hose. But it checks the box off.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    IMHO, I would suggest either a Colt SP1 Conversion or a Sendra Conversion. I think they are the best deals on M16s on the market. Most of the other receivers are cast or can be considerably more out of Spec. Not that they can't be perfectly great guns but are more hit or miss. My Sendra is slightly out of Spec but I have been able to deal with this with little trouble. The SP1 has a PITA front pin since its not captured. Thats the trade off there. With both of these guns, you save enough over a Colt A1 that I think its worth it. You may also find a Colt 614 that will be priced between the A1 and the SP1/Sendra. Thats a factory MG, but not a "M16"...

With any of the 22 conversions, I think the most important part is the reliablilty and is there a mag loader for the mags. I HATE loading 22LR for MGs. Its really a PITA. I would base a 22 conversion mainly on this.

There is nothing wrong with the Ruger... That said, if a M16 is in the picture, do that! Seriously, if you can swing a M16, as a shooter, its hands down, no second thought the way to go. No doubt in my mind there! If you have around $20K to spend, do the M16 and you will never regret it!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If it were me I'd lean towards a M16. So many things you could do including dedicated uppers, Parts are readily available . Easy to work on !! And lets talk mags! Many mags have to be fitted to the AAC 556 for them to work properly, You wont have that issue with a M16 . CMMG makes a really nice .22 full auto upper for them !

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    A, B or C.
    Or maybe a TC or TD.
    :lol:

Attachments

• mg-mgb-01.jpg
      mg-mgb-01.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 319

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks all for the suggestions. The AC556 I was looking at is actually at Duffy's, and I think Vince and I are at a handshake deal now. I've also called around to Engage, A1, and 2A to see what they had. In case anyone is also looking into stock A1 has a few Colts, but Greg was unsure of what was spoken for at that time.

A Colt still might be in my future as my father has suddenly become interested.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I would recommend an M16 in either Colt or Sendra. Both are really good. Like stated above there is a lot of versatility with the AR15/M16 platform. I have 22LR, 9mm, 223/5.56, 7.62x39, 300 BLK, and putting together a 5.45x39 upper.

CMMG makes good components to shoot 22LR in a M16. I have a lot of fun with mine.

Not sure what your budget it is but, excusing the pun, you get more bang for your buck with an M16.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom