Why are Suppressors so insanely OVERPRICED????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just don't want to be on the firing line when one of those $100 cans goes ka-plooy! Weber not withstanding, there's more to building your own than slapping a bunch of Amazon parts up the rear end of a flash light. Make sure you are capable of taking on this type of exacting work.

Oh, and factory made cans go ka-plooy too. Always check your ammo and bore/suppressor concentricity(sp?).

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    First off, I'm not "attacking" anyone or any manufacturer I'm just trying to wrap my head around the price.

There are some good explanations that have been given and it ultimately comes down to the the consumer to decide if the outrageous price tag is worth it or not.

I do know there are two ways of addressing the same problem of price. You can either make a great product at a great price and it will sell itself and fly off of your shelves or you can make a great product at an outrageous price and maybe sell a few to connesiours who want bragging rights that they were able to pay so much for the same thing.

Scarab

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    I talked to the owner of a small suppressor manufacturing company. He had a masters degree in mechanical engineering, & equipment in his lab cost him > $100,000.

I used to think Colt AR-15's were overpriced at $300. After all, they're mostly plastic & sheet metal stampings. How much can they cost to make? You can see how much the price dropped with time & competition.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I was looking at a Freedom Armory .45 Ti can but it's $900 just for the silencer. That's the price of a very good 1911! My 1911 cost $1,200! Hard to swallow buying an $1,100 (w/ tax stamp) in addition to the firearm.

Just me and my opinion of course. If they had priced it around $400 I might have been able to swallow it. But nope. $900.

Scarab

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you think you can do it better, start your own company and find out about BATFE, Taxes, R&D, Legal Costs, Advertising, and Regulations.

Oh and tooling and machinery cost too. Thoss costs alone are INSANE.

Make sure you price them so only you and your employees make minimum wage too. After all capitalism is "gouging", so dont ask too much for your hard work.

All very valid points. However I do have to wonder why they are so cheap in other countries where they readily available such as New Zealand

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Don't forget all the costs of ATF compliance. Gotta lock up the inventory, maintain licenses for both manufacturer and dealer, and track all the paperwork. Every little thing adds to the final cost.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This is why the build your own kits have become so popular. The only reason I can come up with is research and development cost. Kinda like the cost of prescription medications, the pills themselves are cheap, figuring out what works isnt.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    All very valid points. However I do have to wonder why they are so cheap in other countries where they readily available such as New Zealand

In countries where suppressors aren't as regulated, you're not buying a suppressor for life, you're buying a disposable accessory. If your $200 all-aluminum suppressor poops itself, you can buy another one relatively painlessly. You could probably get that price even lower if you made it a sealed unit.

It's not like there aren't cheap suppressor manufacturers in the US - Thompson Machine comes to mind. They aren't the quietest, they aren't made of the most robust materials, and they don't have a wide array of mounting solutions.

These are all features that people in the US want out of something that they wait 6 months for.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    While I agree they are over priced! I guess the same logic applies as buying an outboard boat motor. Go price a 250hp Honda @ around $24k!

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    If you think you can do it better, start your own company and find out about BATFE, Taxes, R&D, Legal Costs, Advertising, and Regulations.

Make sure you price them so only you and your employees make minimum wage too. After all capitalism is "gouging", so dont ask too much for your hard work.

you forgot workmans comp, unemployment and healthcare :sad20:

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    As someone already mentioned, try pricing out the raw prices for good 7075 aluminum, Stainless, Titanium, and Inconel stock. Then factor in the costs of machining the materials such as titanium and Inconel and the costs go up through the roof. The cost of tooling alone can get into the tens of thousands of dollars.

I paid $325 for my silencerco Spectre II. While it is just aluminum and stainless steel, I don't think I over paid. It would be cheaper for me to pay the $325 than to buy the stock materials, machine it, and finish it myself. Even with stealing the intellectual property of the design.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    It's not gouging. It's capitalism.

The prices reflect what the market will bear.

:thumbsup:

There's also a fair amount of R&D that goes into a decent suppressor. Plus short-run precision manufacturing and a low sales quantity means the price is higher.

If the tax stamp was eliminated you'd see more sales, and more competition, and prices would come down.

You can form 1 a good suppressor for $100 plus the $200 tax.

I talked to the owner of a small suppressor manufacturing company. He had a masters degree in mechanical engineering, & equipment in his lab cost him > $100,000.

I used to think Colt AR-15's were overpriced at $300. After all, they're mostly plastic & sheet metal stampings. How much can they cost to make? You can see how much the price dropped with time & competition.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Econo-can.

[YT]haiqFcIXTqs[/YT]

Has anyone seen anyone try to shoot something like 5.56 NATO out of one of these bad boys on full auto? 22LR has less than half the chamber pressure and a very small fraction of the gas volume of a 5.56. Given the thin wall of the oil filter, I would be curious to see if it would stand up to the pressure.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    ha, the price is why I choose not to own one.

Hell, I don't even own any scopes or optics because good ones that are worth while are pretty expensive to set up.

Do what I did, just quit thinking about it and you will feel better. I now love to shoot iron sights LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom