• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?

A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA “firearm” pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

The big kicker is if you still have the short barrel upper.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Didn't want to start a new thread but i gotta a question, can I build a sbr on a preban lower that measures less than 29"?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Didn't want to start a new thread but i gotta a question, can I build a sbr on a preban lower that measures less than 29"?

No I don't believe so. All SBR's in MD need to be 29" or greater. The only exception would be rimfire.
    Pre-ban or post-ban lower is meaningless with regards to an SBR

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    All SBR's in MD need to be 29" or greater. The only exception would be rimfire.

As a correction to that, all semi-automatic, centerfire SBRs made after October 1, 2013 need to be 29" or greater. If you had an AR SBR that was made into an SBR prior to 10/1/13 it can have an OAL of shorter than 29" if it existed that way prior to 10/1/13.

In this case, it's when the SBR was made that's the determining factor, not when the lower was purchased.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No I don't believe so. All center fire SBR's built after 1 Oct. 2013 in MD need to be 29" or greater. The only exception would be rimfire.
    Pre-ban or post-ban lower is meaningless with regards to an SBR

FIFY :)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    As a correction to that, all semi-automatic, centerfire SBRs made after October 1, 2013 need to be 29" or greater. If you had an AR SBR that was made into an SBR prior to 10/1/13 it can have an OAL of shorter than 29" if it existed that way prior to 10/1/13.

In this case, it's when the SBR was made that's the determining factor, not when the lower was purchased.

thank you for the corrections gentlemen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Didn't need fixing.

:P :)

The ban law only applies 29" test to
    A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 29 INCHES;

And I used the term "made" because the ATF refers to the process of building an SBR on an approved Form 1 as "making" the firearm. As long as the SBR was "made" prior to the ban date it's safe.

Theoretically you could have a bolt action centerfire SBR that was shorter than 29" OAL.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014

This is what I thought. F☆☆K this state! I'm moving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom