• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have learned the hard way to keep the tools necessary to retighten a loose scope in the range bag. I'd be in tested in hearing what else people keep in their range bag for rifle shooting at range.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    A screwdriver, adjustable wrench and a set of English, metric and torx Allen wrenches live in the truck. A brass squib rod and cleaning rod are in the range bag. Batteries for scopes or red dots and earmuffs.

Issues bigger than that and I'm heading home.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I always go through my firearms that I’ve selected next day for the range, with a fine tooth comb. Seems to be working thus far with no issues during range day. But always helps to have a Leatherman handy too....

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Everything said previously, plus a “front sight tool” or other model specific sight adjustment tool, if using the iron sights. For optic equipped guns I carry lens cleaning wipes, and a lens pen cleaning tool. Also just picked up a Caldwell magazine “fan”, battery powered fan that fits in the AR pattern mag well to cool down the rifle after a session prior to re-casing it. Used once, and it’s the best thing I’ve bought in years. No more melted nylon in my cases.

Last edited:

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I'm always forgetting something, but I can usually find something that will work. No wonder my shoulder gets sore lol. About time for a house cleaning I think.

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpg
      IMG_2782.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 239

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I carry my AR tool bag to the range every trip. I can pretty much tear down an AR and rebuild it(minus a vise). It has helped many people on the range. Anything in that bag is more than adequate to work on a standard firearm.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I take rifles to the range that don't require work just to get through a day at the range. That's why I don't take AR's. HAHA!!!

On a more serious note, if I'm sighting something in, I take whatever tool is needed for that purpose. Other than that, I don't carry tools and have exceedingly rarely need tools because I generally don't have problems. Even when I was having teething issues with the FG42, I never needed tools at the range. In my bag at the moment, I have an AK/SKS/VZ58/MP44 front sight windage adjusteradjuster, an allen wrench to adjust an M1 front sight and a VZ58 front sight tool. I also always carry a Swiss army knife. I don't remember the last time these things were not enough.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    An AR-15 basic cleaning kit. Gives me a rod for clearing squibs or prying things. Also a little 1oz bottle filled with CLP in it incase something needs a little lube. I’ve got a Gerber Shard on my key ring which is usually fine for most scope screws and such, so long as they aren’t torx. I’ve got a mini screwdriver set I need to get a 2nd or to leave in my range bag.

I also have a 10/22 mag in there finally.

Not exactly a tool, but that is the only gun I’ve ever forgotten magazines for when going hunting or going to the range and I’ve forogtten 3 times in a year. You do NOT want to try to single load that.

I am close enough to the range and I generally bring enough other toys to the range that it doesn’t ruin my day if I have to take something home to work on it. Hunting I make sure to keep a cleaning kit with me in case thegun goes in to some crap and I triple check I’ve pack what I need for it to go pew pew. No real tool kits with me otherwise.

Though I have pliers, a monkey wrench, some screw drivers and a couple of folding knives as far as “tools” go in my car.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Nobody near me had one either

Ha! The other day at the range, I needed a simple pair of pliers, and somehow mine escaped the range bag. Problem was nobody near me had one either.... :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I some time ago came to buy a complete set of Brownells Magnatip slotted bits. I bought the Torx and the standard and metric hex bits as well. It was always a different fastener with gun sights and rings and bases and action screws and grip screws and on and on. I'd have some tools previously but invariably not the right ones. So I'd wind up trying to be careful with a poorly fitting screwdriver and still sometimes wind up with a buggered screw slot, or trying to borrow a specific tool at the range, or making a trip to the hardware store or setting a gun aside until I got it home. While not inexpensive, they're the right tools and not too terribly expensive either, and have without a doubt been one of the best gun related decisions I ever made.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A screwdriver, adjustable wrench and a set of English, metric and torx Allen wrenches live in the truck. A brass squib rod and cleaning rod are in the range bag. Batteries for scopes or red dots and earmuffs.

Issues bigger than that and I'm heading home.

I have pretty much the same; except I also have a sight adjustment tool for the AR and one for the pre-ban PTR-91 (G3 clone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom