• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Gonna have to find another way. Just saw in the news.

Attachments

• 6466069F-ABBF-4164-BC74-71C88EF5DBC4.jpg
      6466069F-ABBF-4164-BC74-71C88EF5DBC4.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 259

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    one word. horrible. I haven't been to OC in 5 years. the cops down there are a$$holes and will arrest/ticket you for anything. the water is NASTY. I don't know who on earth swims in that filth. I would just avoid it all together. if I want to go to the beach, ill fly down to the Caribbean or the keys. flights are getting cheaper to go down there.
    Not sure where you get your information from, I guess it's just your opinion but OC, MD is consistently ranked as one of the cleanest beaches in the country. Since 2012, Dewey and OC beaches are 2 of only 12 beaches in the country to receive a 5 star water quality rating by the National Resources Defense Council. This is out of 3000 beaches tested.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    This^^^^

Way more laid back. Best fishing in the mid-Atlantic. :thumbsup:
    Sure it is more laid back, if thats what you're looking for, but I can only cook out, sit on the deck and drink beers out of my cooler, collect sea shells, or go surf fishing for so long. That can tend to get a bit boring after a week or two. I like to do things and go places. I like variety. A different bar/restaurant every night if I like. It's just 2 very different experiences. Too different to compare IMO. Everyone telling him to go to OBX instead of OC is really like apples and oranges.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sure it is more laid back, if thats what you're looking for, but I can only cook out, sit on the deck and drink beers out of my cooler, collect sea shells, or go surf fishing for so long. That can tend to get a bit boring after a week or two. I like to do things and go places. I like variety. A different bar/restaurant every night if I like. It's just 2 very different experiences. Too different to compare IMO. Everyone telling him to go to OBX instead of OC is really like apples and oranges.
    Have you read my other posts in hear? I'm all about OC. It all depends on the OP's expectations.

As for fishing on the outer banks, there is surf fishing that can be really hot at times, especially around the inlets, but there is also a great striper fishery back in the sound, Oregon Inlet cat walk is good at night for big trout, and blue water fishing is no more than two hours off shore. OBX is definitely more family oriented and generally a lot less raucous than OC.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    People have to take OC for what it is. It is good for a few age groups. When you are 21-30 and want to go down to the beach for the week or weekend. OC is great. If you want to take your family with multiple kids on a cheaper trip. Yes two adults can fly to the Caribbean for a week and eat and drink for cheaper than OC but its hard to do that with families with multiple kids and to do it with more extended families and/or friends with kids. I am a fan of staying north. We Stay either in the 100's streets or in DE. Last year we stayed at Montego Bay and this year we are taking the travel trailer to Treasure Beach RV park, right by Harpoon Hanna's. We go for white marlin week and have a group of close to 50 that meet up on the beach with kids, tents, corn hole, and adult beverages discreety in cups. We also make a trip or two to Bethany during that week to take the kids to that boardwalk and rides. It is much nicer and cheaper. Parking is no fun but doable. Ropewalk and Fish Tales are great places to eat with the kids, they have playgrounds and great atmosphere. I stayed on 20th street on the boardwalk basically every year for the first 20 years of my life. I had a great time doing it but am pretty much over the boardwalk itself.

On another note, I actually don't mind going to OC in the off season. We have been for the Festival of Lights or whatever they call it at the park behind the holiday inn on 125th or so street. We also have been down for st patricks day and the parade. that is a good time as well. As with most things they are what you make of them.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Gonna have to find another way. Just saw in the news.

I was stuck in that flood. We were trying to get up to Dewey for lunch and had to turn back. Some minivan was stuck at the intersection and the police were rerouting everyone around. It wasn't even really that bad. We went to tequila mockingbird and waited it out for an hour.

Cant get the pic rotated... it was about 6" of water there.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
      IMG_2344.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, bike week is a great time. It's a majority older and mature crowd. I don't even know how Bike week could be compared to senior week, maybe H2O weekend or Cruising Weeks where a lot of young people become wreckless.

Besides lots of motorcycles and noise I can't imagine it ruining anyone's vacation.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yeah, bike week is a great time. It's a majority older and mature crowd. I don't even know how Bike week could be compared to senior week, maybe H2O weekend or Cruising Weeks where a lot of young people become wreckless.

Besides lots of motorcycles and noise I can't imagine it ruining anyone's vacation.

Didn't the organizers move H20 weekend last year cause the OC police were cracking down on all the non-sanctioned activities?

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    the further north you go the better it is. OC is great- just not really much below seacrets. delaware and NJ have great beach towns and are often closer than OCMD.

MrsRab1515

Nov 27, 2017
    All over the dang state
    My family goes about every other year. If you stay away from the high rises, it's pretty nice. Granted, when we're there, we spend pretty much all of our time on the beach. We go to the boardwalk one evening every time just to get Thrasher's fries (the one further up the boardwalk, not at the entrance, is less crowded and better quality). We've been in the same building for the last 10 years, and we still love it, but it really depends what exactly you want to get out of your trip.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Didn't the organizers move H20 weekend last year cause the OC police were cracking down on all the non-sanctioned activities?

Not sure, the only thing I thought was the event was not even in town, just everyone stayed in OC. I also thought I read the event was cancelled last year for some other reason and people came down anyway.

Kind of like how OC Bikefest started, lots of peeps stayed in OC for Delmarva bike week until OC decided to make it an official event.

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    H20 was cancelled last year. But they did it like two weeks before the event. Even if the official event was in berlin, the people had rooms reserved etc. You cant cancel two weeks out and expect people to not show.

In the end the citys hatred for car events will cost it as the town was down 50% from previous spring cruisin events this year in business. As the second largest earning weekend for the city, the loss of cruisin will hurt them. I really want to see the locals start bitching when their taxes have to go up to cover.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I go fishing out of OC regularly. We stopped overnighting between trips due to the fear of bring home bed bugs. Driving down and back makes for a long day but its doable.

That's one more reason we use an RV trailer for most local weekend trips. In fact, we have a trip scheduled to Assateague State Park a couple weeks out. To be sure, we still use a vacation rental or hotel for longer trips out of state. I guess it also doesn't hurt that we like the campground experience. Just used an airbnb for a couple day trip to Long Island for a wedding recently (there are some camping areas on LI, but I was loathe to drag my trailer up the NJ Turnpike and cross over the various bridges and Expressways to LI.) But when we stay somewhere else, we take all the precautions we can to guard against bedbugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom