• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Why have a detachable barrel when you already have a detachable upper?

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    Did you notice how he transported the rifle to the range? I think THATS the selling point. Can you say compact bug out bag gun? Sure you can just swap in/out an upper, but who would want the barrel et al sticking out your backpack? Similar to LaRue's PredatOBR takedown design, but no need for a wrench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    thats slick. I would think the operator would need to be cognisant of the 1/4 turn removable Barrel. I would be curious to see how tight the lock up of the barrel is or would something like a beta mag be heavy enough to disengage the barrel system because it lacks an anti rotation device. I know this is a common issue with handguards lacking a anti rotation system.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting.

Don't like the idea of using the same bolt/bcg on a diff't barrel though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Till the barrel falls off when your doing a BOLT LOCK reload and the handguard unlocks.

Separated upper is superior if you need to transport like that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you notice how he transported the rifle to the range? I think THATS the selling point. Can you say compact bug out bag gun? Sure you can just swap in/out an upper, but who would want the barrel et al sticking out your backpack? Similar to LaRue's PredatOBR takedown design, but no need for a wrench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Easy, SBR. :)

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    The one use i thought of was for going between 5.56 and 300blk since the only thing that needs to be swapped is the barrel.

Downside is that the sleeve is metal. some folks who tried it out noted how hot it would get. a wrap should take care of it. no place for rail add ons at this time too.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The one use i thought of was for going between 5.56 and 300blk since the only thing that needs to be swapped is the barrel.

Downside is that the sleeve is metal. some folks who tried it out noted how hot it would get. a wrap should take care of it. no place for rail add ons at this time too.

Another side-note: What do you do if one upper has many more rounds thru it than the other?

Putting a well-used bolt from a 5.56 upper into a low round count 300BLK barrel/upper is just asking for headspace issues.

You just don't swap bolts around and expect things to function flawlessly.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Put one in the cart last night. It's a novelty and I'm a sucker for novelty items. We'll see how it fares when I get it in. I have a never fired PSA M4 style upper and brand new BCG that I will probably cannibalize for the project.

Can anyone suggest a strong, low profile gas block? Preferably a picatinny rail block.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I like this idea just because it can be kind of a pain in the ass to line up the pins and holes, it takes some concerted effort while this seems to be on and done with little fuss.

I just don't trust it not to come off while being run hard, though. Until I can see one myself and grok how it works and actually holds the barrel on, I would be afraid it would unscrew while I was firing if I wasn't cognizant at all times of not torquing the handguard.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Another side-note: What do you do if one upper has many more rounds thru it than the other?

Putting a well-used bolt from a 5.56 upper into a low round count 300BLK barrel/upper is just asking for headspace issues.

You just don't swap bolts around and expect things to function flawlessly.

Yup! Anyone who buys this and uses is for multiple calibers better buy some gauges. Those who say AR's don't get bad headspace don't shoot AR's enough or check them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Put one in the cart last night. It's a novelty and I'm a sucker for novelty items. We'll see how it fares when I get it in. I have a never fired PSA M4 style upper and brand new BCG that I will probably cannibalize for the project.

Can anyone suggest a strong, low profile gas block? Preferably a picatinny rail block.

It's not a railed block, but the 87 Industries kit is money, IMO.

Low-profile and everything you need to pin the block - minus a drill press. :)

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    It's not a railed block, but the 87 Industries kit is money, IMO.

Low-profile and everything you need to pin the block - minus a drill press. :)

Thanks, I'll check that out. :) EDIT: Just watched a vid on it, pretty slick. :thumbsup:

I'd still like a option for a railed base, as I really don't want an optics only rifle. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom