• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Decided I had a couple of hours to shoot today and threw some guns into the bag, grabbed some reloads and drove to the range.
    1) I forgot my wallet but they let me shoot because they knew me.
    2) I thought my vision had deteriorated drastically until I figured out that I had on an old pair of shooting glasses.
    AND 3) on my last magazine through my Colt Gold Cup I heard a PHHHHHT/Bang and was sprayed in the face by debris
    jDt69B.jpg

F8xxV7.jpg

O4UXrA.jpg

I load on a Dillon 650 with auto index,(4.0 gr Clays under a 200 gr Speer LSWC), and am sure I didn't double my charge-(it takes a series of foul ups to double charge on this machine).
    I believe that the clue as to what happened is in picture #3- this is A-MERC brass. I generally throw these away, this one snuck past me.
    4) to top it all off, I smoked a really crappy cigar on the way home.
    :thumbsup: On the plus side, the pistol wasn't harmed, and I was fine and capable of smoking a cigar and driving home.
    DocAitch

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    New one to me, I hadn't seen a .45 case do something like that before.

No injury or damage, so that's always a good thing.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so clue me in here.
    It started to ignite and eject and went off out of battery or what?

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Just another reminder to stay diligent....... even then, who knows if you coulda/woulda seen that..... I always look at primer seating and necks. I don"t pay much attention to "above the rim" unless its bulged/gouged.....

You may want to change the title to a "Good Day at The Range"....
    No missing body parts or damaged toys......bad cigar seems to be the worst part..... :-)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any day you walk(drive) home from the range is a good day to me. All that badness and you're unharmed is a blessing. Thank God.:thumbsup:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Many years ago on the Bullseye Forum, there were countless threads stating NEVER RELOAD A-MERC BRASS...

I've always just ditched & never gave it much thought, but, WOW now I understand why...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To slightly twist the saying : * A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work* . But you really pushed that one to the limits.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I've seen this on unsupported barrels but never on gold cups. Very similar blowouts on Glocks using reloads.

Maybe something to this.
    Many years ago on the Bullseye Forum, there were countless threads stating NEVER RELOAD A-MERC BRASS...

I've always just ditched & never gave it much thought, but, WOW now I understand why...

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    cracked through what is usually the strongest part of the case, primer and neck look fine. Appears it started in the web above the extractor groove and peeled forward, stopped by the feed ramp, so not likely a case support issue either, those tend to split just above the web. I've seen dozens of pictures of blown cases and guns, just about all of them have pancaked primers, hammered headstamps, neck cracks, or some other sign of a bad load or gun issue, this one looks like a flat out defective case. Glad a bad cigar and forgetting your wallet are what made the day bad, not a destroyed pistol or hand.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia

When I bought my Kimber Custom Classic many years ago, I bought a box or two of this stuff to go along with it, and promptly headed to the range. It was the worst ammo I've ever shot, being wildly inconsistent and unreliable.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I, too, am concerned about the possibility of out of battery firing.
    I have noted the occasional failure of some of these rounds to chamber on the first go-around, but the primer hit appears to be deep (if off center). I have attributed this occasional failure to feed to the shorter OAL and bullet shape of the 200 gr LSWC. I am probably going to run all of my completed rounds through the Wilson case gauge. This will also allow me to screen for any more A-MERC cases.
    I will have to pull the rest of the brass from this session (which luckily is still separate) and see if the firing pin strike is significantly different.
    My previous issue with the A-MERC brass has been its failure to fit into my Wilson head space gauge despite multiple resizings with the Lee FCD die.
    I have no conceptual trouble attributing bad metallurgy/poor manufacturing technique to this crap.
    I will post my findings here.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom