• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I know there is a sticky on this, but I just wanted to say I did pull the trigger. Hope it is as good as they say. I bought a 550B. Most say just to go whole hog but I want mine for loading rifle cartridges and have much of the other gear already. Since I got the basic press I was able to buy other things I thought more important such as tool heads and caliber kits. Guess it will be here in a week or 2.

Vic

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a progressive press to reload just handgun and 5.56. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that I use for making ammo and I spend more time reloading than just about anything else (and I don't necessarily enjoy reloading.)

Is this your first progressive press? What made you go with a Dillon over a Hornady LNL?

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    A buddy and I bought a 650 a while back. I'm the one who runs it really. Pain in the ass to get acquainted with and kinks worked out of, but once she runs its a beautiful sight.

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    I get the impression that is all progressives: pain in the ass to set up, but once set up, work great.

My 550 was very easy to setup and get running. But the 550 doesn't auto index so that eliminates that whole thing off the top.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a 650 and had no trouble setting it up.

You made a great choice buying the 550. It fits your needs and is backed by the best service in the industry.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Is it a pain switching calibers on the 650? (I like auto-indexing...)

On the 550 you pull 2 pins and slide the toolhead out. Take the included allen wrench and remove the shellplate. Now put in the new shellplate and tighten downt he allen screw, then slide in the new toolhead and re-insert the 2 pins. Unless you have to change from large primers to small primers (or vice versa), you are done switching calibers at that point.

I have no issues switching between .40S&W and .308WIN on the 550.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Is it a pain switching calibers on the 650? (I like auto-indexing...)

It takes me about 15 minutes to do a complete change. That includes switching the primer from small to large or large to small.

I was given my first 650 7 years ago by my wife for Christmas. I purchased a second 2 years ago so I didn't have to change the primer sizes. It really didn't save much time but made it easier.

Even though I have two machines I only have one set up at the moment due to space. Life happened and I had to make room for my wife's grand daughter. I am not planning to sell the second machine.

One thing that makes caliber changes faster is the Quick Change Shell Plate with Powder measure. I have one of them for each caliber that I load. They are not cheap, but nothing with a Dillon is. Quick Change Link

There are other accessories that will make reloading easier. A strong mount is a must if you have the ceiling height. A case feeder can speed up your bulk ammo reloading. The primer tube filler will also save time but I don't think it's worth the money. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23473/catid/9/Dillon_RF_100_Lg__Primer_Filler

While there are cheaper reloading options (Hornaday, RCBS, etc....) I have never suffered from buyers remorse with the Dillon.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I get the impression that is all progressives: pain in the ass to set up, but once set up, work great.

Don't get me wrong, it is easy to change once everything is adjusted. The initial set up is a little bit of a pain when you are just learning the machine and are changing from whatever they sent it to you set up for already. Especially so when the small primer tube they sent you is not correct and for sme reason it lets primers get sideways in the tube. Only one way to clear a jammed up primer tube, and that is to take it all apart. It really is not hard once you know what you're doing and have the tool heads all set up.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I haven't tried the 550, but I hear good things. :)

BenL,
    Quick Change Toolheads are the way to go on the 650. If you are done with your load development and just want to crank out ammo, the 650 excels. The QC toolheads have a dedicated powder measure that stays with the toolhead, so you don't have to keep readjusting everytime you switch calibers.

The casefeeder assembly is a fast way to resize rifle brass. I use a separate toolhead with only a decapping/sizing die on it. Lube the cases and toss them in to size. Trim them up then throw them back in the casefeeder with the normal toolhead attached for the reloading.

For tumbled pistol cases, if you have carbide dies, just throw them in and start loading.

For a few calibers, you do not need to change all parts. The 9mm and .223 is one example. Most of the conversion kit parts are the same for both of these calibers.

I enjoy reloading, but I found I was spending days of toiling over a single stage to accomplish the same amount as I do with the 650 in an hour. It feels like cheating.:o

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I know there is a sticky on this, but I just wanted to say I did pull the trigger. Hope it is as good as they say. I bought a 550B. Most say just to go whole hog but I want mine for loading rifle cartridges and have much of the other gear already. Since I got the basic press I was able to buy other things I thought more important such as tool heads and caliber kits. Guess it will be here in a week or 2.

Vic

Congrats!!

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    BenL,

I chose the 550 over the LnL because I liked the took head idea. The LNL looked good too, but you have to buy sleeves for the dies to fit into a fixed head. This allows you to remove the dies quickly but individually. The 550 has a one piece tool head which keeps all the dies together and set. I just thought it looked like a better idea.

Also, I'm not sure about the LnL, but the Dillion is completely machined and assembled in AZ, U.S.A. To me that means something too. Same reason I buy Leupold. Hornady might be U.S. too, not sure.

To me I just liked the way it was put together.

Vic

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've got an RL-550B, and it's a FANTASTIC machine!!

For bottleneck cartridges, I size on the RockChucker, then tumble again (to remove the lube), then clean primer pockets and trim-to-length.

Then, on to the Dillon for priming and finishing the cartridges.

I've found this to be the best method. . . . for me.

You'll really enjoy the RL-550B!!!! :thumbsup:

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Well done, you will be happy.
    I've had a 650 for some years now and have well over 100k rounds loaded on it. I don't remember any particular difficulty getting it going. Changing from small to large primers is a little involved but I don't do that often-I load my 45 ACP on a Pro1000 and my 45 Colt and 44 Mag on a turret.
    My caliber change overs take 5 minutes when the primer system is not changed and I don't load any rifle calibers (on the 650). I do use the tool heads with individual powder dispenser. I highly recommend the powder check alarm, it will save you trouble if you adjust it properly and pay attention to it. The empty primer alarm is not quite so useful because you will develop a feel for when no primer is being seated (i.e. lack of resistance).
    I did have one glitch when the lever that moves the charge bar became loose and I produced some squib loads in .38. A "pre flight" check should catch any of that stuff which was caused by a loose nut/bolt which allowed the nylon block to pop out of the charge bar.
    As in any reloading situation, use the machine when you are free of distactions.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

brackishfly

Nov 17, 2012
    So. Maryland
    The 550 is the best of both worlds IMO, run it as a progressive press or run it as a single stage. There is the 'Red L Brand' Progressive press that cannot do both (Prog. & Single), no detente with the indexing. Gave the 'Red L Brand' away without looking back and currently use the 550B. The 'Blue Press' was the wise choice IMO.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I've been using my 650 fo 12 years now to reload countless rounds and I love it. Just take your time and you'll be fine. As others have stated, the powder check alarm is a safety check worth the dollars.

brokensheer

Dec 28, 2011
    550B

These presses are so nice I have two of them, one set up for Lg primers one for small !! the customer service is THE BEST ! tech help and so on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom