• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    OK, I have a Utah permit. Is this going to be flagged if I'm in another state? Will VA know, for example?

Just how pervasive is the ability to access this information?

My understanding is that Utah is very protective of that information. So nobody knows, not even the Utah police.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Personally, WHEN I get my permit and am pulled over I will always tell the officer I have a carry permit if in that state and whether or not I am carrying. I'd rather not guess if the officer knows or not.

I think I would be a nervous officer if I ran someones license and found out they had a CCW and they didn't say anything. I don't like nervous officers...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My personal opinion is to be up front and honest. If the police act foolish there is a place to handle that (and it should be handled)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Sure there is...it's short enough that they can jot it on a gum wrapper before their shift starts.:D

There sort of is sort of isn't.

If you send the MSP a freedom of information act request with a specific name, they will reply if the person has a permit or not.

They won't release the whole list of everyone though.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I read on the internet a claxon sirens similar to world war 2 submarines and red warning lights start blipping with "gun owner" inside police cars when gun owners are pulled over for whatever.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I read on the internet a claxon sirens similar to world war 2 submarines and red warning lights start blipping with "gun owner" inside police cars when gun owners are pulled over for whatever.

"Mr Sulu, Phasers on Maximum, make ready Photon Torpedoes"

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So far seems to be 3 different subjects in this thread . Esq has answered one at length with citations.

If you volentarily present a Utah CCW to an ofc , there is an 24/7 contact number for LE to verify validity.

* At this Time * in Md CCWs are not linked to DLs or MVA Registrations.

* At this Time * Md does not require you anounce that you are carrying and/ or have issued a CCW.. ( Wisdom of such things is a seperate discussion.)

Expect all the above and more to be discussed at next session of GA.

If you search for such things , there have been massive overreactions by LE frequently in specific jurisdictions, and occasionally to rarely anywhere. *Usually* does not happen .

But as mentioned above , in any combination , none of the above is resoning to forego having a CCw ( and presumably being able to be Armed ).

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I just paid for a PPS and did the Maryland paperwork for the first time 4 days ago and one of the forms required my DL and they take a copy of it also, so they may or may not link it yet but I'm sure it will happen someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Getting killed because you didn't have a good way of defending yourself is a downside of not having a CCW.
    Personally, the worst thing about having a CCW is that the gun can be uncomfortable to carry at times. But I turn that into a reason to buy more gun stuff, so I guess that's an advantage?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you send the MSP a freedom of information act request with a specific name, they will reply if the person has a permit or not.

They won't release the whole list of everyone though.

This is an interesting point on which to hijack the thread. Has there been any research done by folks such as MSI to determine whether any of the anti legislators has a carry permit? Hypocrisy review can be useful at some stage of the proceedings, I would think.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is an interesting point on which to hijack the thread. Has there been any research done by folks such as MSI to determine whether any of the anti legislators has a carry permit? Hypocrisy review can be useful at some stage of the proceedings, I would think.

Yes. I will post it when I get home

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. I will post it when I get home

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Maybe this should be a sticky. It would be awesome if we could address letters to some people...."I know you have one, why can't I?"

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    If a officer runs your name through teletype and you have a concealed carry permit in the state of maryland, he is going to get that information. If he is only pulling up your mva information on his MDC then he will not.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lawman1800 said:
    If a officer runs your name through teletype and you have a concealed carry permit in the state of maryland, he is going to get that information. If he is only pulling up your mva information on his MDC then he will not.

I don't imagine CCW holders in MD are perceived as much of a threat.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    the best and *safest* thing to do is to put both hands on the steering wheel, inform the officer right away that you have a permit to carry and that you are carrying and simply ask how he would like proceed.

Tell that to the WV guy who volunteered he was carrying (in MD.) because he thought there was reciprocity. (Can't find the thread right now. Will edit later if I can find.)

Rule #1...Know the laws of the states you are passing through. (ie, required to inform or not. If you are even legally carrying due to reciprocity.) Then conform to the law.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Tell that to the WV guy who volunteered he was carrying (in MD.) because he thought there was reciprocity. (Can't find the thread right now. Will edit later if I can find.)

Rule #1...Know the laws of the states you are passing through. (ie, required to inform or not. If you are even legally carrying due to reciprocity.) Then conform to the law.

totally different scenario. the wv was driving in maryland and didnt follow the law nor checked that his wv ccw is no good in md.

esq. cooment was if the person is carrying legally in the state and got stop in the legal state.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Is it this gem?

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/68348-i-pissed-my-pants-today-maryland.html

Pennsylvanian thought he was in West Virginia...

Also, the GeorgiaPacking thread on the Cobb County Georgia traffic stop is interesting, at least the first page or two.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49871

That thread started two years ago, and is still active.

Interesting reading.

Edit to add-

I see you were referring to the recent thread here about the Oblivious Guy. Well, enjoy my links anyway.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP ( nd others of similar inquiries ) needs to consider the subject in terms of The Big Picture .

The Big Question is not wether there might be occasional invonvience in regards to having a Permit. The two questions are :

Are you better off with a Permit than being unarmed ?

Are you better off haaving a Permit or carrying illegally in a State with a Mandaatory Munium jail time for illegal carry ?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Sorry, my response assumed that he was carrying legally. If he was carrying illegally, then I have no advice to offer other than DON'T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom