Cresap Rifle Club is looking for members.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acx780

Jul 8, 2011
    Frederick Md.
    If you’ve been to our range lately then you have an idea of why we need some new faces. We’re packed from open to close on public days and we are proud to say we operate a safe and friendly range where the public can come to shoot. Our NRA classes fill as soon as they are posted. Many of our members are NRA instructors and some are NRA Training Counselors. We could triple our schedule and still have every slot filled with a waiting list. We support an active junior rifle team. The juniors are totally supported by the club. We are active supporters of Wounded Warriors. Not only do we host a yearly event through the WSEG, we have opened our range to use by the local rehabilitation facilities. We donate range time, firearms and ammunition to these groups. We donate to our local charities. We’re family and community oriented. As you can imagine there is a lot of work that goes into making our range what it is today and we need help in every area. We are committed to enjoying all the shooting sports, giving back and to each other. If you’re interested please feel free to pm me.

Rich

Freak

May 20, 2011
    Gaithersburg MD
    Was there for the first time last Sunday. I must say...I read about you guys being very busy and was thinking it was going to be a mess. We got there at 930, got in line, and it ran very smooth. Wish I had the time/knowledge to join...You guys are a class act, I'll be up there again real soon.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Was there for the first time last Sunday. I must say...I read about you guys being very busy and was thinking it was going to be a mess. We got there at 930, got in line, and it ran very smooth. Wish I had the time/knowledge to join...You guys are a class act, I'll be up there again real soon.

Def agree - I love the place.

Ar1b3nz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Apr 18, 2011
    NOVA
    I have never been there, i need to make sometime and see how it is since i hear nothing but good things from members on here.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Only time I go to your range is when I need to sight in or run some ammo off a rifle we do not allow down at the MPC at the bottom of the hill. I will be there again soon as my 3-Gun AR build will be finished by next week and I need to break in and season the barrel.
    The main reason I don't join your club is I don't have time with my match schedule to work your public days.

acx780

Jul 8, 2011
    Frederick Md.
    Thanks for the responces

Wow, the responces for additional info and positive feedback keep coming in. There is a hefty time commitment but there is a lot more to the return than just a place to shoot. Please feel free to PM me with questions.

Rich

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    Would love to join but lack experience and the time to commit to it. Busy race schedule but trying to make more time for this. My son is interested in the Jr. Rifle team, beginner. I've emailed through the web site but haven't received a response yet. If he gets involved then I will definitely make more time for it.

Soundman1

Aug 11, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Will be shooting there tomorrow morning .. Would like to talk to someone about volunteering time/membership.

Completed 2 NRA courses there with Victor in September ... I would like to get more involved.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I go on a regular basis and NEVER get offended when they review the rules with me. Those guys at Cresap are top notch and appreciate the safe environment.

That is the only place I will take my kids when they are ready for the range.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No intention of joining/going back until some of the RSO's leave. I will no be screamed at when I uncase a rifle that has a closed bolt, before I have the chance to take the rifle out of the case (yes the barrel was pointed downrange). I also will not tolerate being screamed at for rapid firing with a bolt rife, when that is not possible due to me shooting my handloads for accuracy testing. I will not tolerate being screamed at/berated for having the case on the bench, about to put the rifle in the case and closing the bolt as I am casing the rifle (barrel down range the whole time). I have been berated/screamed at for rapid fire when I had shown up less than 5 minutes before and was in the process of loading my mags up about 10 minutes before the cease fire. I didn't fire a single shot until after the cease fire, because I took the time to load my mags. I follow all the posted rules, but when your RSO's get a stick up their a**es and make up new rules on the spot, they can kiss my fat a**.

I don't need to go to your range, I used to go there because friends were in town and I couldn't go shoot on private property, due to scheduling issues. Now I look forward to shooting on private property with my friends. I don't mind driving 15 minutes further from my house to be able to call my own line, rapid fire a semi, shoot for accuracy with handloads, do failure drills, etc...

You guys are top notch as a facility and some of the RSO's are chill and let me be, but the others are damn Nazi's and need to figure out how to rub 2 brain cells together and generate some common sense. Did you also consider that due to the treatment of others by the RSO's, that is the reason why few/if any people want to join the club? How can they expect to see a change in treatment/attitude from the RSO's/future club members in arms, should they join, if the current RSO's aren't willing to use some common sense and common courtesy, before a prospective member joins? FWI, I've been shooting since I was 5 years old and I have forgotten more in that time than most of your RSO's have ever learned. I don't need to be treated like I am some punk kid because I look like I'm in my mid 20's.

While I understand that some of your visitors have no experience/reason holding a firearm, nor do you know everybody's skill levels, have a couple of those Nazi RSO's either chill out or kick them out of the club. As soon as that happens, I might be back and might attempt to join, but until the RSO situation is rectified, the odds of me stepping foot on the property are very slim.

I have already addressed my issues/concerns repeatedly with the guy in the black vest, in person while I was on site. I also see a lot of turnover in the membership, do you have any idea as to why that is? Maybe that is another thing you need to consider and find a solution to, as you search for new members.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    DaemonAssassin...

I think you may be exaggerating a bit. While they are vocal about rules they certainly do not argue with anyone unless that person visiting takes offense to being reminded of the rules.

I saw it last weekend. They simply asked a guy to keep the business end pointed down range and he said the exact same thing you did. He has been shooting for X amount of years and has forgotten more than the RO knows. Maybe it was you?

The same RO approached me when I first showed up and asked me if I have been to the range before. I told him yes...he reviewed a quick list of basic rules. I thanked him and he said he has one less person to worry about. No hard feelings. We laughed and never heard from him again.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I don't shoot there very often anymore, it's been about a year b/c I have joined a club.

I've had some similar experiences with getting yelled at when uncasing rifles. Some of my cases look the same on both sides and I've gotten yelled at the moment I open my case b/c the muzzle is not facing down range. If they were to wait a fraction of a second, they would've seen me close the case and turn it around before opening it again.

This doesn't reflect on the majority of the RSOs that volunteer there, just one, maybe two, which I hope have moved on. I do appreciate that the RSO staff volunteer their time to allow the public to use their range.

What I do like is that all I have to bring are my eyes, ears, guns and ammo. I don't have to bring targets, stands or staplers. They have a completely covered range and do all the target refreshing. I'd go back if I want to spend only an hour or so shooting a pistol b/c of how easy it is to get in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom