• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    If it was me, I would just go over and get it. If its a developer, the owner is a faceless corporation, not the construction crew. Secondly, unless you are in sight of a house, just go get the dmn thing and drag it back to the spot of the shot!

Yeah, that was my first thought as well.

ParaFan

Dec 9, 2018
    Break the law?

I'm disgusted by the number of people who are suggesting that it's okay to break the law. What? Just because you don't like a law you think you can ignore it?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm disgusted by the number of people who are suggesting that it's okay to break the law. What? Just because you don't like a law you think you can ignore it?

Baltimore hunters we call them around here.
    Been watching it my whole life.
    Locals are no better either when you get right down to it.
    Some of those F*&kers are here right now looking for an Oyster knife LOL.
    They better have more than a peck.:)

Good Luck deer hunting and be safe everyone!

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

I’m not a Hunter, but yeah, there’s no victim here other than the deer. 10/10 I’d go get it. Guess I’m disgusting, wouldn’t be the first time as someone’s said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m not a Hunter, but yeah, there’s no victim here other than the deer. 10/10 I’d go get it. Guess I’m disgusting, wouldn’t be the first time as someone’s said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably go 56 in a 55 zone, too. Disgusting.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I only wear 249 sq in of blaze orange.

My blaze orange cap isnt solid either, it has a logo on it.

Sometimes i dont even use punctuation

living on the edge, disgusting

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I think there’s a difference from walking onto someones yard and walking on a construction site. There is a certain amount of privacy associated with a person’s house that doesn’t really convey to a commercial work site. I think picking up a dead deer off a job site would be more welcome by all those involved versus the stench of a dead animal.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I think there’s a difference from walking onto someones yard and walking on a construction site. There is a certain amount of privacy associated with a person’s house that doesn’t really convey to a commercial work site. I think picking up a dead deer off a job site would be more welcome by all those involved versus the stench of a dead animal.

This exactly. Entering to retrieve an animal on someone’s home / farm / property it is a different story versus a commercial construction site.

Also there are more available means to make contact versus letting an animal go to waste.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This exactly. Entering to retrieve an animal on someone’s home / farm / property it is a different story versus a commercial construction site.

Also there are more available means to make contact versus letting an animal go to waste.

Beyond that, I understand and respect the intent of the law both private property rights as well as making every reasonable effort to retrive a deer. I would attempt to make contact in almost every given instance. And if not, call DNR. But is someone truly violated if I see the deer sitting 10yds over the property line on someone's 20 acre property and I go and drag it back over to mine? Is their privacy violated? Is the use of their private property harmed? Is it any more harmed then if I go, walk down their driveway and knock on their door and ask if I can retrieve the animal?

IMHO, there is a scale of difference on the trespass (at least to me morally, even if there isn't legally). Would we be having the conversation is you were playing baseball on your property and your ball ended up landing in your neighbor's yard, woods, etc? Would you go and knock and ask permission to retrieve your ball that was within sight?

Sure, if the ball landed in their fenced back yard, I wouldn't retrieve it without asking. If I saw my neighbor I'd ask if it was okay to get my ball. I'd go and ask if the ball went flying out of sight and it was SOMEWHERE on my neighbor's property.

I guess that is a long way of saying, if I could SEE the deer, I'd likely retrieve it without asking if it wasn't in my neighbor's curtilage, or in a fenced area or if my neighbor didn't have their property specifically marked no trespassing by sign or paint. If I had to SEARCH their property to try to find it, I'd ask every single time. At least where I am, what makes it a little different is I've asked all my adjoining neighbors and they are all okay with my retrieving deer from their property, one even wants me to hunt on their property "you can use my deck if you'd like!"

But I don't know EXACTLY where their property lines are with respect to their neighbors. I mean, I can guess roughly, I sure as heck and not going to know if the deer is close to the property line, or if it is actually 5, or 10 or 15yds over in their neighbor's yard. The one time I've had a deer go long, I knocked on a lot of doors to get permission (and got it) to try to find and finally retrieve the deer. Sometimes it might be obvious, other times not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom