shotgun/straight walled cartridges: what are you using?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Would 45-70 count as straight wall cartridge here in Maryland? In Indiana the 45-70 cartridge was 2.1" long thus wasn't allowed. Indiana had maximum cartridge length of 1.8" if my memory serves me right.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah, getting use to each states game laws can take some time. When I use to hunt in PA, semiauto (rifle and handgun) were illegal to hunt with, not sure if that's changed since I left.

In Indiana, straight wall cartridges were allowed and the 358 hoosier was develop for the legal requirements. They were debating whether to allow high power rifles when I left. I had 44mag Ruger Redhawk stainless with 5.5" barrel that I sold to person who wanted it more than I did. I think Indiana require 5" barrel on their handguns to be hunted.

I only have 4" barrel 357mag GP100, but have all the reloading components for it. So cheapest route maybe to purchase 6" barrel 357mag.

Semi-auto rifles are still a no go in PA. for hunting deer, bear and elk. They are now ok for small game and furbearers, save for turkey in the fall. Semi-auto shotguns shooting slugs are ok for deer, bear and elk.

Semi pistols are a no go for hunting across the board in PA.

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Hunt Balto. county, hung up the Mossberg 500 trophy slugster rig for my Marlin 375 Win. Handloads of 220 gr. Hornady interlocks over a charge of Reloder 7.
    Also have a Marlin 44 mag with a nice hunting load worked up if I want to use that gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom