• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I do a lot of fox/yote hunting. Years ago before we started getting yotes in southern md, we would hunt foxes with a rifle and a shotgun using 00 buck/ dead coyote. Dead coyote is some nasty stuff! Dont plan on keeping the fur. Fast forward to the present, I havent used a shotgun in 10 years. AR in 223 or 204 with a thermal is my go to now. I hunt fields,and i can honestly say the closest first shot I have taken would be around 60 yards. I have thought about rigging a shotgun with a thermal and do some woods hunting, but Im scared it will rattle it apart. Coyotes are super smart and they play the wind really well,so getting close to them on a regular basis is tough. On another note, Its tough to kill them using a light. You can do it, but you gotta be fast. I killed my first 4 or 5 using a light, with long shots and luck. They will not enter a field or will turn and run when you hit them with a light. It was amazing what I saw when I went thermal. I went from killing 1 or 2 yotes a year to 26 last year. I really dont even shoot many foxes anymore because they will come right in. I actually had a coon come in last weekend to the call. it jumped on the call and knocked it over, ran right at me, between the legs of my tripod and brushed my boot as it went by. Never knew I was there.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    How do you tell the difference between a coyote and a fox on a thermal?

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    How do you tell the difference between a coyote and a fox on a thermal?

It is hard sometimes when they are coming right at you, but yes, experience is the best teacher. They have a different walk\run. Usually a yote will be twice the size of a fox, unless its a pup. Sometimes just the way they respond. Usually yotes are more aggressive. And I usually try to vocalize as a coyote. Its very rare that a fox will respond to a yote call. That being said, at 200 plus yards at night, fox season is in, Im taking the shot and figuring it out later.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping

Incendiary is illegal, so no dragons breath. Clearly MD is no fun.

But otherwise, there are no particular rules as far as i can tell, so full send.

keep in mind there is no such thing as "tagging" - you will also need the furbearer stamp on the license.

I believe the OP was referring to “tagging along” with another hunter.

Even when 'tagging along" carrying a weapon you need a hunting license for the season/game

As in he’s not “tagging” his harvest like you’d do with a deer. :sad20::facepalm:

OP is a licensed hunter. I took "tagging with" as in getting on a group furbearer permit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 08-04-41 Furbearer Hunting Trapping - Maryland Hunting.jpg
      Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 08-04-41 Furbearer Hunting Trapping - Maryland Hunting.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 100

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    It is hard sometimes when they are coming right at you, but yes, experience is the best teacher. They have a different walk\run. Usually a yote will be twice the size of a fox, unless its a pup. Sometimes just the way they respond. Usually yotes are more aggressive. And I usually try to vocalize as a coyote. Its very rare that a fox will respond to a yote call. That being said, at 200 plus yards at night, fox season is in, Im taking the shot and figuring it out later.

sounds like fun.

I may have to get a thermal.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Good lord, I got a license, I got a furbearers permit, my buddy has a thermal scope on his gun and a tripod mount. So he will do most all of the shooting. I am mainly there for the extra eyes scanning with a red hat right and I know some of the farmers. The reason for the shotgun was when I went last year with the 223 foxes would sneak around behind down wind and shoot across at 30 - 40 yards and no way to get a shot and I don;t approve of swinging a rifle and blind shooting where I can't see the terrain off in the distance. I thought the shotgun would be perfect as a backup gun for and stupid critters trying it again.

Thanks, I'll use the 00 bunch until I can find some #4 buck

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Night hunting brings out the kid in me. It feels like sneaking out while grounded. I’ve tried different methods but thermal is so good it feels like your cheating. I also picked up a monocular for scanning so my rifle can stay at rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom