• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Being in MoCo, I picked up a CVA Cascade with scope in 350 Legend while hanging out down in Tappahannock, VA the other day. Their wally-world had a decent selection and now that MoCo has been forced to allow straight-wall cartridges in what was formerly "shotgun only" areas, well, it just made sense to grab the 350 Legend instead of the Savage Axis .308 that was sitting right next to it (besides, I already have a .308 bolt gun).

Anyway, ammo supplies being what they are these days compounded by the fact that gun season is just a month away, I grabbed the first boxes of what I *thought* was hunting ammo today at Hafer's. Little did I know, they're actually Winchester Personal Defense rounds. I guess they're for when you absolutely have to punch a .357" diameter entry hole in a home invader but want to do so with an AR?

Anyway, comparing the ballistics, energy, and grain of bullet vs Winchester's deer-centric round, the performance is fairly similar. Would it be ethical, in a pinch, to use these for hunting deer? They're a bonded, jacketed hollowpoint round. The main difference seems to be a few grains in weight vs the true hunting rounds, and the lack of a polymer tip in favor of a traditional open-tip hollow point.

Worse comes to worst, I can use these to sight in and get it on the paper and then use some legit hunting rounds that are on order from PSA to finish up the sight-in and for in the field. But I kind of figured that these might work just fine for deer too.

Any thoughts?

Here's the round in question: https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Defender/S350PDB

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Yeah idk why Winchester is labeling these the way they are. Nobody's using 350 legend for personal defense. I think it's a wierd pandemic ammo and packaging is scarce thing.

Ppl are using these for deer. There are ballistics tests on youtube you can check. They work great. Just send it.

Also, use the Winchester 145 fmjs for sighting in, much cheaper.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    From the link

Muzzle energy = 1759ft/lb is greater than 1200 foot lbs.

"Protected Hollow Point Promotes sure feeding and initiates quick expansion" qualifies as a " all lead, lead alloy or copper soft nosed or expanding bullet"

That is the extent of the law for the rifle ammo you must use. It has more everything than the 125 grain SST 300BLK ammo I use. It will kill deer, go for it!

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    It should work in a pinch. I haven't seen the ballistic test results for this ammo, but personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the possibility for too much expansion and too little penetration. Good if you don't want it to go through a bad guy, a wall, and into a neighbor's house. Not so much if it hits the front shoulder of a deer and explodes it but doesn't penetrate through the lungs. So I think shot placement could be a bit more critical than with proper hunting anmo.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It should work in a pinch. I haven't seen the ballistic test results for this ammo, but personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the possibility for too much expansion and too little penetration. Good if you don't want it to go through a bad guy, a wall, and into a neighbor's house. Not so much if it hits the front shoulder of a deer and explodes it but doesn't penetrate through the lungs. So I think shot placement could be a bit more critical than with proper hunting anmo.

Winchester claims they are bonded. Their bonded rounds tend to not over expand.

In general what will work well on a human is going to work well on a deer. One of my favorite rifle rounds is Speer’s gold dot. In .223 their 62/64/75gr bullets work fantastic on deer. Their 120gr in .264 also. And their 150 and 165gr in .308. Expand rapidly, but don’t over expand with the bonded jacket. The only real issue is the BC isn’t super high. So not something I’d want to be lobbing past 200yds. Not that you couldn’t, just that the juice of a tipped bullet would start to shine at that point.

But I have I got a few boxes in the last few months to work up a load for .223, 6.5 Grendel and .308. I have their loaded ammo in both. Sadly for reloading just 62gr .224 pills (well and 120/.264 and 165/.308). No one has had their 75gr in more than a year and a half.

Anyway, other than something funky, SD ammo is generally going to work well for hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On another note I was really hoping CVA would make the Cascade in .357 with a threaded barrel. Bore diameter is the same as .350 legend. All they’d need to do would be bore the chamber different and maybe a tweak to the magazine. They make it in .44 magnum.

I’d like a lever action (as I don’t own one) in .357 and threaded. But if someone made a thread bolt gun in .357 for $400-600, I’d sure take that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom