• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Got one and love it
    42gr of vv n110 and a 300 gr hornady sst is a beast out to 300 yards. Not shot it farther yet

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Picked up one last year - got it dialed in but too late for early muzzle.

Took it back out a few days ago because I never got around to scoping it (bore was in great shape) and cleaned it to confirm zero. Realized my wife misplaced my MMP Sabots so I took it out yesterday to try with Hornady sabots (only thing I could find local at Chesapeake outdoor). First three shots were on paper but with four inch group at 50 yards (yikes!); after that the barrel heated enough that I had nothing even on paper (short on time so only giving ten minutes to cool).

With MMP last year I was pretty close to 1 MOA at 100 yards last year (using the same 42 grains of 5744 under a 300 grain Barnes). Moral of the story, the MMPs are a bitch to seat for a reason! I just wish there was a local source. I guess I’ll be using my bow during early ML again.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I ordered some mmp Hp black sabots a couple of weeks ago.
    452 bullets are hard to find.
    I use the reds with 452’s in another 54 cal rifle I have.
    While I was at it I bought a couple hundred of the greens for some other 50 cal rifles I’m working with.
    When I do buy from Mmp I usually buy enough to get the reduced package fee.
    They will do the same combined for all the sabot types they offer for each order.
    I also use the Hp blacks in a couple Knight rifles I run finding them superior to other brands which I suspect are nearly the same just rebranded.
    I can hook you up with a package of the blacks if you want to use your rifle.
    I have to go to Preston early afternoon and have a very busy schedule because of hunt prep/ other obligations but can work something out somehow.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I ordered some mmp Hp black sabots a couple of weeks ago.
    452 bullets are hard to find.
    I use the reds with 452’s in another 54 cal rifle I have.
    While I was at it I bought a couple hundred of the greens for some other 50 cal rifles I’m working with.
    When I do buy from Mmp I usually buy enough to get the reduced package fee.
    They will do the same combined for all the sabot types they offer for each order.
    I also use the Hp blacks in a couple Knight rifles I run finding them superior to other brands which I suspect are nearly the same just rebranded.
    I can hook you up with a package of the blacks if you want to use your rifle.
    I have to go to Preston early afternoon and have a very busy schedule because of hunt prep/ other obligations but can work something out somehow.

I much appreciate the offer! Alas, I wouldn’t be able to get back to the range before the end of antlered anyway (and even though I’m confident of my zero with Barnes, and should be close with these same weight Hornady, I won’t take the risk when I would be hunting at upto 185 yards). I still haven’t popped the cherry on my néw Ravin and there is zero pressure within a mile radius. The savage will need to wait a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom