• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    1921 dated Luger brought back by a member of the ARVN Airborne Advisory Team 162. Vietnam Luger bring backs are pretty rare and I'm excited to add one to my growing Nam bring back collection. I was able to speak to the vet. Here is the interview:

I wasn’t with the Americans over there, I was with the ARVN’s. I enlisted and after training, I left Ft Benning Georgia to an address in Vietnam and stayed there with that outfit for two years. When I got there I was with ARVN Airborne in 68 and came home Christmas day 69. There was 60 or 70 of us on the whole team; from senior advisor to a PFC. There just wasn’t many of us. I basically have one picture of me from over there. It was at an awards ceremony. We were not allowed to carry cameras and take pictures out in the field. I was with the ARVN Airborne for two years and at the time we weren’t allowed in US PX’s, mess halls or anything else like that. We advisors weren’t really well liked. In Vietnam, the Americans themselves didn’t like the Advisors. We were called the Red Hats. AAD162 or Airborne Advisory Detachment is what it stood for. On our uniforms we wore the ARNV Division patch and on the front pocket we had what we called the Gladiator patch which was a sword with a wing on it. We also had our Division patch or task force what it was called when I first got over there. In order to make the Americans happy they changed it to the American lingo like division and brigade, battalion all that good stuff. When I got there in 68 we were task force.

When asked about how he acquired the bring back he said, I usually don’t talk about stuff like that. I was a combat advisor and made enemy contact and that’s about all I can say. There was a holster with the Luger but it wasn’t for a Luger it was like for a 45. The guy I got it off of he wasn’t on the friendly side of the fence! As young kids were trophy hungry. The only thing about that gun that was not matching was the firing pin. I don’t know what the gun is like now but it was all matching except for the firing pin. That wasn’t the only weapon I brought back. They didn’t have security back then like they do now. I’ve been home 51 years so does that tell you anything? After the first tour, I came home with a couple of SKS’s. Believe me I wish I had those back again. The three SKS’s were sold for less than $400. I sold the Luger for $50! That was back in 1973 or 74. I needed the money and didn’t need the pistol so I let loose of it. The weapon I carried over there for two years was a WWII or Korean War M1 Carbine – 30 caliber. I did not carry the current issued US weapon over there. I didn’t like the M16. About eight months ago, I tried to purchase a carbine like I carried in Nam and when given the price, I said good god I don’t want to buy the gun shop, I just want to buy your gun!

Attachments

• LGGG.jpg
      LGGG.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 207
    • Luger3.jpg
      Luger3.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 205
    • ul1.jpg
      ul1.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 209
    • ul3.jpg
      ul3.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 208

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    That Luger probably got to Viet Nam on the hip of French Legionnaire with a German accent….Lots of ex-Waffen SS at Dien Bien Phu

Great Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom