• Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Gotta love those RAR Ranch rifles. Here's my 7.62x39. Great candidate for a suppressor. Using a 2-7X Nikon Prostaff. Also - I really like the mini-30 mags a lot better than the AR mags for a bolt-action rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
      IMG_1519.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 163

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I have a hankering for a 7.62x36 bolt gun, I get the itch every 6-12 months, but have not acted on it yet.

I "was" looking for an action/barrel ($300-400) to drop in a Boyds Spike Camp style stock.
    15 months ago the Howa short/Hvy/threaded was $275,, now $550 and perpetually out of stock and ONLY sold by brownells.
    The Ruger American Ranch is $420-450 and too, perpetually out of stock.

Any issue with the Ruger only being 16" ? for 200-300 yard shots?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I have a hankering for a 7.62x36 bolt gun, I get the itch every 6-12 months, but have not acted on it yet.

I "was" looking for an action/barrel ($300-400) to drop in a Boyds Spike Camp style stock.
    15 months ago the Howa short/Hvy/threaded was $275,, now $550 and perpetually out of stock and ONLY sold by brownells.
    The Ruger American Ranch is $420-450 and too, perpetually out of stock.

Any issue with the Ruger only being 16" ? for 200-300 yard shots?

IIRC the optimal barrel length for 7.62x39 is 16".

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks,,
    So the HOWA short in 7.62 with its 20" barrel has 4 extra inches,,,

Yep, I really wanted a Howa, but found the Ruger first. That being said, part of my gameplan if I got a Howa was to shorten the barrel to 16" anyway.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am told CZ makes a nice 7.62x39 bolt action rifle. I have never seen or held one. I do have a CZ 457 in 17 HMR that is awesome, so I would think it's a decent rifle. Howa rifles are nice as well. The RAR is accurate but the fit and finish is not up to the other two IMHO. That being said, I have another RAR in 6.5 Grendel which I put into a Boyds thumbhole stock that's a lot of fun top shoot. No Boyds stock for this one though.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I am told CZ makes a nice 7.62x39 bolt action rifle. I have never seen or held one. I do have a CZ 457 in 17 HMR that is awesome, so I would think it's a decent rifle. Howa rifles are nice as well. The RAR is accurate but the fit and finish is not up to the other two IMHO. That being said, I have another RAR in 6.5 Grendel which I put into a Boyds thumbhole stock that's a lot of fun top shoot. No Boyds stock for this one though.

Oh, yeah! The CZs are OUTSTANDING rifles...and priced as such. I'm by no means comparing the RAR to the Howa or CZ. For what it is though, it's a hell of a rifle.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I really wish I could get another stock for my ruger American ranch 7.62x39. When I received it the left side of the forend was contacting the barrel. I tried to trim it and retorque the action screws. When I think it's good, it moves right back to touching after I shoot it. Still getting just over 1 moa @ 100 using older golden tiger.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I never cared for the "style" of the boyds thumbhole stocks UNTIL the Spike Camp stock. I know Boyds are not regarded as "Precision" stocks,, but the 7.62x39 is not a precision round,, so should be a good fit.
    I have a stash of Mini-30 mags,, so I guess since 16" is fine I will look for a Ruger Ranch 7.62

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    I really wish I could get another stock for my ruger American ranch 7.62x39. When I received it the left side of the forend was contacting the barrel. I tried to trim it and retorque the action screws. When I think it's good, it moves right back to touching after I shoot it. Still getting just over 1 moa @ 100 using older golden tiger.

Yeah those are respectable groups. There’s a lot of YouTube vids but free floating the RAR stocks. Good you contact Ruger? Their CS is fantastic.

As an aside ProMag still blows dogs. I ordered 3 ten rounders from Midway. None of them would seat.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Yeah those are respectable groups. There’s a lot of YouTube vids but free floating the RAR stocks. Good you contact Ruger? Their CS is fantastic.

As an aside ProMag still blows dogs. I ordered 3 ten rounders from Midway. None of them would seat.

I'm sure Ruger would probably take care of it. I'll wait until things slow down to call them.

I haven't found any aftermarket mags that don't fit really tight. Got many unstamped mags and USA mags. They all fit but have nawed up the magwell a bit getting them to seat.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Got the Anarchy bolt handle/knob, stock pack, and Garand sling on. Done....for now.....

All I need now is some actual range time.

Playing around with the phone pics...

rJhNLhwl.jpg

d1QTqD4l.jpg

Db6dBdql.jpg

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Done? It looks like you still have the plastic bolt shroud....

Yeah, but it works fine so I don't really see a need to replace it. I'm trying to resist the NDS sights though. Maybe I should get a 5.56 model so I can get the NDS :innocent0

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Well,,, now that 7.62x39 ammo is plentiful again :)

Exactly! I was considering a RAR since I converted my Mini-30 over to 6.8SPC, but now I am wondering if I should just sell the ammo I still have and be done with it. I think I will wait another general election cycle and see what happens...

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah, but it works fine so I don't really see a need to replace it. I'm trying to resist the NDS sights though. Maybe I should get a 5.56 model so I can get the NDS :innocent0

Looks sharp!! Tell you what, the Timney trigger for the RAR is sweet if you are looking for just one more upgrade ;) I put one on my RAR in 6.5 Grendel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom