• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I just bought a property with some acreage in AA County, but it has no garage. I like my toys with 2 and 4 wheels, so I want to build a 3 car garage.

Anybody have any leads or advice where to start? I would like it to have insulation and electric, etc. as I play to have it as a workshop that is somewhat insulated from the elements.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    dont go minimal.

Need area for shelves and workspace around edge. go deeper at least.
    It will need it own breaker box.

Have fun

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Figure out the square footage you think you'll need...and go 20%-25% more than that. Lots of electrical service with plenty of outlets and overhead lights. Also see what the county will allow you as far as square footage...use up as much as is reasonable.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Are you pulling a permit? If so, you won't need to pull an electrical permit if the garage is not attached to the house.

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    Don’t forget to include a work bench. The bigger the better. Good luck with construction.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Not exactly sure what the question is..and this may all be know to you but from experience:
    Look at your lot plat map and determine all the easement set backs. Some have the well, septic field, tanks, electric lines, telephone, cable etc also shown. If not get miss utility to come out and Mark the property, take pictures of what they marked for ref. Clearly know you property line, may require survey guy to find steaks.
    Contact at least three builders but these days double it since half won’t reply or show. Get estimates and references, proof of license, insurance and liability coverage

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Are you pulling a permit? If so, you won't need to pull an electrical permit if the garage is not attached to the house.

I plan to pull permits and make everything legit.

I have heard make a pole barn.

And for sizing- y’all trust me! I’m going big on this. Plenty of room for 3 cars/trucks plus plenty work space in the back. It’s going to be excessive for someone who isn’t a gear head

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not exactly sure what the question is..and this may all be know to you but from experience:
    Look at your lot plat map and determine all the easement set backs. Some have the well, septic field, tanks, electric lines, telephone, cable etc also shown. If not get miss utility to come out and Mark the property, take pictures of what they marked for ref. Clearly know you property line, may require survey guy to find steaks.
    Contact at least three builders but these days double it since half won’t reply or show. Get estimates and references, proof of license, insurance and liability coverage
    Best answer.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I had a Conestoga metal building put up 15 years ago. Never regretted it. It’s now insulated and electrified. Only regret is I should have put in taller doors. It has 10’ ceilings. 3 /12 car.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I built my own and already had a cement pad from another structure I took down. The concrete footer and pad is a big amount of money these days. I also found out you never have enough receptacles for electric.. Consider if you are running an air compressor or welder when doing electric wiring. I did all of my own work and definitely use LED lighting. I used the 4' hanging LED lights and many of them. I wired them on four separate switches so I can light up partial lights in on area or other areas without turning them all on. I built mine all 2x6 framing and trusses. I made my maintenance free and all covered in Galvalume metal which has like a 50 year warranty. I would also consider if installing any heat source. I heat mine with a huge wood burning stove as I chose. Best bet is a metal pole building as they are cheaper than doing it yourself. They have many designs for 8', 10', 12' height and how many garage doors and entry doors. Best way to go.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I plan to pull permits and make everything legit.

I have heard make a pole barn.

And for sizing- y’all trust me! I’m going big on this. Plenty of room for 3 cars/trucks plus plenty work space in the back. It’s going to be excessive for someone who isn’t a gear head

So by that definition it will be at least 40’ wide and 30’ deep with a 12’ ceiling..l

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ...Anybody have any leads or advice where to start? I would like it to have insulation and electric, etc. as I play to have it as a workshop that is somewhat insulated from the elements.

One thing I can never “see forward” enough is running the right schedule (thickness) pipe or conduit - empty and capped off - under and through concrete slabs, sidewalks, patios, etc.

Invariably, those “passages” prove invaluable down the road for running electric, irrigation, cable and/or air pipe/hose to places I never thought of, during construction, let alone forming of concrete pours.

And a sink! a big deep wide as you can get sink!

And a dancing pole, err, different forum, separate thread, sorry! :innocent0 :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom