• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I need some help on building a ar-15 in 40 S&W. Not interested in hearing from 40 haters. I have several pistols in 40 S@W and am sitting on a shit load of bullets, Brass, powder and primers. I have built several ar-15 rifles in 5.56. Now I want to build one in .40 S&W. Any pointers, suppliers, parts. Anybody here built one or have one that could give me pointers, pro vs cons. Thank in advance. MDSHOOTERS is the best!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Mine is an awesome carbine...accurate and reliable. It's old school...fixed carry handle and A1 sights but that's what was available then. The worst is the magazines are proprietary and kinda pricey...but you gotta pay to play.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    It's not an AR, but I believe Ruger's PC Carbine comes in a 40 S&W configuration that accepts Glock mags if you want something on a lower budget.
    1.jpg

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    The following comments are based on someone having access to machine tools like a lathe... If you aren’t blessed with tools and skills, money can make up for your shortcomings. :lol2:

You can open up the bolt face on a 9mm bolt to fit .40S&W. It’ll be happier with a heavier buffer than 9mm. The extractor may be a bit fiddly to make work.

Profiling a .40 barrel blank to the same profile as a 9mm barrel is easy. Chambering for .40 S&W is also easy.

Once you have a barrel and bolt, the rest is just assembly.

Small frame Glock AR lower receivers are readily available along with .40 Glock mags (at least no more difficult to find than any other AR parts...). There are even 80% lowers. If you chose to use a standard lower and Colt style mags, .40 feeds fine from 9mm Uzi/Colt mags.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I attended submachine gun instructor school the instructor showed us that a sub gun on single shot can easily be used as a substitute sniper gun in a pinch out to about 100 yards if the shooter does his job. We were using MP5 and Colt SMGs for the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom