• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I threw my hat into the ring back in December. Didn't even receive a "thanks, but no thanks" acknowledgement that I had volunteered.

That said, here are the lucky appointees -

Maury S. Epner, Esq. (R) Montgomery County
    Deborah Lundahl (R) Frederick County
    Christopher Howard (D) Anne Arundel County
    Luis T. Gutierrez, Jr. (D) Montgomery County
    Matthew Douglas, Esq. (u) Montgomery County
    Kathleen Jo Parson Tabor, Esq. (u) Howard County

Additionally, Governor Hogan directly appointed three members to the commission:

Judge Alexander Williams (D)
    Walter Olson (R)
    Ashley Oleson (u)

Governor Hogan's order creating the commission is attached for reference.

Attachments

• hogan_0289_001-1.pdf
      276.4 KB · Views: 143

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Wow. No representation whatever from outside the DC Beltway/I-95 Corridor. MGA can simply ignore the Governor's redistricting recommendations, anyway, so this commission doesn't matter.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    The membership rules really needed a locality clause. "At least two members from every county in the district", but that would actually be fair.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Clearly a very "fair" commission. I look forward to their suggestion and to the MGA ignoring it. I'm sure the Mikes already have a map and Armchair will rubber stamp it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Clearly a very "fair" commission. I look forward to their suggestion and to the MGA ignoring it. I'm sure the Mikes already have a map and Armchair will rubber stamp it.

Its not the fatman they need to worry about - its the federal judge overseeing the deal. Didn't the court throw out the 'updated districts" in one of the other cases?

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Disappointing to say the least with nobody really representing the actual areas heavily affected by the gerrymandering. At least they aren’t all Ds

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Judge Alexander Williams Jr. appears to be a retired US District Judge who is a member of a Baltimore law firm. He is also the Chairman of the Commission to Restore Trust in Policing.

Best guesses on the other two are:
    Walter Olson - New Market, MD (Frederick)
    Ashley Oleson - Annapolis, MD (Anne Arundel)

Without more info on the last two, I can't really seem to nail down specifics. I don't really trust the reporter's spellings on their names. As for Judge Williams, people-searches are conflating his info with his father's - Junior vs. Senior.

Walter Olson was tagged by Hogan as co-Chair for this committee, which implies he has a relationship with the good Governor. I found a "Walter Olson" who Hogan had appointed as co-Chair to the Maryland Redistricting Reform Commission in 2015. Probably the same guy.

Ashley Oleson appears to be associated with the Maryland League of Women Voters, and published a paper on redistricting reform back in 2016.

<type> <type> <type>

Aha! Found confirmation ... that's them.
    The governor was joined by Lt. Governor Boyd Rutherford; the co-chairs of the Maryland Redistricting Reform Commission Judge Alexander Williams, who was appointed by President Clinton to the U.S. District Court in Maryland and Walter Olson, a senior fellow at the CATO Institute’s Center for Constitutional Studies; and League of Women Voters administrator Ashley Oleson, who also served on the commission established by the governor in 2015.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Oopsie ...

Two members of Hogan's redistricting commission resign after failing to meet requirements for panel
    When Hogan created the commission, his executive order stated that no lobbyists — past or present — could participate. The order also stated that commission members, all of them volunteers, had to be registered voters in the state of Maryland for at least three years.

Commission member Kathleen Jo Parsons Tabor, a lawyer from Eklridge, registered in 2014 as a lobbyist in Maryland.

Fellow commission member Matthew Lee Douglas, a policy analyst from Montgomery County, registered to vote last year in Maryland, after previously voting in Washington, D.C.

The new proposed map has been released for review.

Attachments

• Redistricting-Map-Proposal.pdf
      406.2 KB · Views: 191

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    No Carroll or Baltimore county members? Were those counties affected by the lawsuit?

Is it just me or do 2,3,4,7,& 8 look like a cluster foxtrot of the first order?

Governor Hogan's committee was chartered with fixing District 6 per a judicial order. They had authority to adjust other districts, as necessary, but it would be a significant stretch and beyond scope to fix the entire state. Districts 2,3,4 and 7 are still abysmal. District 8 seems to have received a dose of sanity from the District 6 adjustment.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-185255_Drive.jpg
      Screenshot_20190304-185255_Drive.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 302

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'll still be screwed in the 4th. Insane that the 2 limbs of the 4th connect thru the wildlife refuge where no one lives. The 3rd used to look like Belgium and Holland where your nationality could depend on where you front door is on your house; it doesn't look much improved.

Looks like a good chance for true representation in the 6th again.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Governor Hogan's committee was chartered with fixing District 6 per a judicial order. They had authority to adjust other districts, as necessary, but it would be a significant stretch and beyond scope to fix the entire state. Districts 2,3,4 and 7 are still abysmal. District 8 seems to have received a dose of sanity from the District 6 adjustment.

I have been wondering how they were planning on redistricting 6 without taking from something else. So officially 6 and 8 are getting the redistrict treatment. I am in District 6 already. It looks like District 8 is going to take a beating. I am with the others, Outside of District 1 and 6 - the whole state needs a makeover.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This would affect Trone's viability in 2020 as he's the current District 6 Representative. I believe he lives in Potomac.

What is the effect, if any, at the state legislative level? Or is this just a remedy at the national level (I'm guessing from a suit by Roscoe Bartlett, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom