• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Way too much money and I really hate these new crossbow selling this 100 yard shot. I don't care how far you can shoot, crossbows are loud and the sound will be there way before the arrow. Sound travels at 1125 FPS and this is still only 390 and not a gun.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Way too much money and I really hate these new crossbow selling this 100 yard shot. I don't care how far you can shoot, crossbows are loud and the sound will be there way before the arrow. Sound travels at 1125 FPS and this is still only 390 and not a gun.

Hey Rob - Just curious. As a hunter, I often find that sound freezes a deer. Many times I have had them freeze at the click of my Hawken hammer, or I purposely grunt to get them to stop walking before a shot.

How does this figure in to crossbow hunting?

BTW - I agree with you on the 100 yard shot thing. But the sound issue would apply even at 25 yards, right?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

I have killed a lot of deer with a crossbow. If you get them when they are wary, any small thing spooks them, including movement. If you get them when they are relaxed, they drop where you shoot them. Generally in suburban areas like Central MD various sounds do not spook deer, they are used to all sorts of loud noises.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I hunt Washington County and deer damn near disappear during and around any gun season. They know what coming for them out here. ;) All people are considered predators. They are jumpy after October muzzle loader and damn near in hiding from Thanksgiving through Christmas. You can only find them in the thickest spots mostly.

I shot a buck this year that was sniffing for does and he kind of scooted out on the access trail like WTF happened and walk right up beside me before coughing up a lot of blood and fainting right next to me. He was easy as he was distracted. Now does normally freak on the noise and jump a lot. They are much warier all the time.

I have spoke to a lot of guys that have tried 60 year compound shots with 300+fps bow and gut shot it instead of chest shot it because it jumped. Maybe it works for your tame city deer but I wouldn't trust it on normal deer. 2/3 of a second is a long time for a deer flinching over hearing a crossbow shot. 1/3 of second or 1/4 a second at 40 yards and under leaves them just trying to respond to move.

I know with mine with the string suppressors is much quieter than my daughters, but its still noisy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I hunt Washington County and deer damn near disappear during and around any gun season. They know what coming for them out here. ;) All people are considered predators. They are jumpy after October muzzle loader and damn near in hiding from Thanksgiving through Christmas. You can only find them in the thickest spots mostly.

I shot a buck this year that was sniffing for does and he kind of scooted out on the access trail like WTF happened and walk right up beside me before coughing up a lot of blood and fainting right next to me. He was easy as he was distracted. Now does normally freak on the noise and jump a lot. They are much warier all the time.

I have spoke to a lot of guys that have tried 60 year compound shots with 300+fps bow and gut shot it instead of chest shot it because it jumped. Maybe it works for your tame city deer but I wouldn't trust it on normal deer. 2/3 of a second is a long time for a deer flinching over hearing a crossbow shot. 1/3 of second or 1/4 a second at 40 yards and under leaves them just trying to respond to move.

I know with mine with the string suppressors is much quieter than my daughters, but its still noisy.

Washington County deer are not Central maryland deer. Your are right, I would not try it on rural deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom