• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I thought I'd share:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-19-ye...irst-fingerprint-reading-smart-gun-1475850207

If you can't get by the pay wall, here's an excerpt:

"After citing gun accident statistics, Obama asked: “If we can set it up so you can’t unlock your phone unless you’ve got the right fingerprint, why can’t we do the same thing for our guns?”

Conway takes to the podium to announce he has found a solution: the 18-year-old sitting near him, smiling politely but confidently in his well-tailored suit. His name is Kai Kloepfer and he’s from Colorado, a state that’s had more than its share of mass shootings. “He is the Mark Zuckerberg of guns,” Conway tells the room.

Kloepfer has spent the past four years designing a handgun with a fingerprint reader built into the grip, and he deferred his acceptance to MIT after winning a grant from the Smart Tech Challenges Foundation in 2014. His startup, Biofire, is just a few months from a live-firing prototype, which, assuming it works, will be the first gun to unlock like an iPhone.

“Congratulations,” Conway says to Kloepfer. “You are going to save America. You are going to save lives. The gun companies won’t tell you, but the tech industry will.”

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    No no no no and ummm. NO

NOT as long as the ANTI GUN left has states like NJ where IT IS THE LAW that when the first "smart gun" is available for sale in the USA... NO OTHER TYPE GUNS ARE LEGAL FOR SALE IN THE STATE!

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    After how many times it takes me to unlock my phone, and the number of times I end up having to punch in my pin...... no

Not to mention what if I'm wearing gloves.

Or my hands are greasy

Or bloody

Or need to use my other hand

F off Zeckerburg of guns.....

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    397030.jpg

:innocent0

what idiot would buy that?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    After how many times it takes me to unlock my phone, and the number of times I end up having to punch in my pin...... no

Not to mention what if I'm wearing gloves.

Or my hands are greasy

Or bloody

Or need to use my other hand

F off Zeckerburg of guns.....

OJ asks the same question:innocent0

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I can't say I'm impressed with the kid's grip, left thumb looks like it's resting on the slide:

BN-QC482_firear_P_20161004123403.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My guns don't need batteries. Screw that. It'll probably need the occasional reboot, too. No way.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    As long as they make a law that says criminals are only allowed to use these kind of guns, I'm fine with it...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Such a gun might be practical when it runs on zero-point energy instead of batteries. Dead battery = no gun? No thanks.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Somewhere, there's a market for those who want their firearms prone to the same faults as smart phones and personal computers.
    That's fine. It's a free marketplace of ideas.

Where the line is crossed is government mandating that firearms must be made with certain features like "smart" technologies or other electronic devices.
    That's not the fault of entrepreneurs and designers; it's the fault of horrible policies made by malevolent or ignorant policy makers.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I can't say I'm impressed with the kid's grip, left thumb looks like it's resting on the slide:

View attachment 187831

While I hate the invention his grip is actually very good. Take a look at the grip used by some of the top competitive shooters.

For example:
    Dave Sevigny, Team Glock
    Jerry Miculek, Team Smith & Wesson
    Rob Latham, Springfield Armory

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
      download (1).jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 481
    • Jerry-Miculek.jpg
      Jerry-Miculek.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 500
    • images.jpg
      images.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 483
    • rob-leatham-2-661x496.jpg
      rob-leatham-2-661x496.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 478

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I saw the video earlier, before I saw the post. Notice the light beside the fingerprint sensor and how long it takes to turn from green to red (presumably from safe to ready to fire). That means you'd have to make the fire decision when an assailant was about 50' away. And that's in addition to overcoming all the interfering factors mentioned above.

But we go again, comparing reality to wonderful ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom