• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was just interviewed by Brad Bell from WJLA, channel 7 out of DC about the terrorist incident in Orlando. It may be on at 1600 and 1700.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And look for another interview on WBAL in the 6:00 Show.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i caught a few minutes of fox5dc this morning and the one anchor said the ar-15 could fire 800 rounds a minute. i sent him an email explaining it was semi auto with one round per trigger pull. asked him to pretend firing a gun and see how many pulls he could do per minute. then also said with the normal mags, folks had to change out mags every 30 rounds which also takes time. so between these two factors, nowhere near 800/min. i gave him a standing invite to join me at a 2 or 3 gun match or idpa or uspsa match. he replied back saying he appreciated my note and might take me up on a match one day. i similarly corrected something eun yang on nbc4dc said a while back but didn't hear back from her. hoping that when the facts are actually set straight the news will use more facts and less hyperbole but my hopes aren't that high.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    i caught a few minutes of fox5dc this morning and the one anchor said the ar-15 could fire 800 rounds a minute. i sent him an email explaining it was semi auto with one round per trigger pull. asked him to pretend firing a gun and see how many pulls he could do per minute. then also said with the normal mags, folks had to change out mags every 30 rounds which also takes time. so between these two factors, nowhere near 800/min. i gave him a standing invite to join me at a 2 or 3 gun match or idpa or uspsa match. he replied back saying he appreciated my note and might take me up on a match one day. i similarly corrected something eun yang on nbc4dc said a while back but didn't hear back from her. hoping that when the facts are actually set straight the news will use more facts and less hyperbole but my hopes aren't that high.

I corrected both reporters today, we will see what it gets us.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

The reporter is half right and this is the problem with Wikipedia. The cyclic rate of an AR-15 (FA) is IIRC 750 rounds per minute. Round up and you get 800 rounds a minute.

Here's the problem. The largest DBM designed for AR rifles (IE STANAG complatible) is the Armatec SAW mag which holds 150 rounds. Which means it's nearly a physical impossibility for a hoomin to fire that many rounds in a minute. (someone wil probably take issue with this but I'm at work and can't scour Youtube to find proof or disproof of my theory)

Mr H

Banana'd

Rod Wheeler (former DC Homicide Det.) got my blood boiling yesterday saying on FNC that the AR lets someone fire "100 rounds in 9 seconds"...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Rod Wheeler (former DC Homicide Det.) got my blood boiling yesterday saying on FNC that the AR lets someone fire "100 rounds in 9 seconds"...
    By calculation .. a mag of 30 can be fired at 2.25 sec full auto (800rpm).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Could have used someone to knock down Dutch's totally fallacious "Assault Weapon" rant this morning with C4... I almost had to pull over I was getting so mad.

Sorry I missed it, I was busy with other things 2A related....At this rate I'm really starting to think I should be getting paid for this. :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    By calculation .. a mag of 30 can be fired at 2.25 sec full auto (800rpm).

He was obviously talking (out of his ass) about this murderer's AR-15, semi-auto, etc.

Even a well trained and experienced user of the AR-15 would take, what, 60-75 seconds with mag changes?
    ("Expert" would be less, of course)

And for normal folk, upwards of 2 minutes with any real accuracy??

Hardly the 9 seconds he was trying to convince people of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom