• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have a right angle grinder in the same space as the safe, but at least the wheels are locked in the safe.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Video cam timestamped them hitting the back door and leaving with bundles of loot less than ten minutes later. The victim was obviously targeted. There are some telltale signs that this isn't the thieves first foray into safe burglary. And before any of you ask, no I'm not getting into those details.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Video cam timestamped them hitting the back door and leaving with bundles of loot less than ten minutes later. The victim was obviously targeted. There are some telltale signs that this isn't the thieves first foray into safe burglary. And before any of you ask, no I'm not getting into those details.

So in your opinion, what would be your top 3 suggestions for safes? Thanks for sharing, btw!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Chatwood-Milner
    Kaso
    John Tann

Jewelry-grade containers designed to protect millions.

As far as specific GUN safes, I have always liked AMSEC, Browning, and Liberty. HOWEVER, be aware that they all have their low-grade, economy models which are on par with the subject of this thread.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Chatwood-Milner
    Kaso
    John Tann

Jewelry-grade containers designed to protect millions.

As far as specific GUN safes, I have always liked AMSEC, Browning, and Liberty. HOWEVER, be aware that they all have their low-grade, economy models which are on par with the subject of this thread.

Got it. Thanks again! With what I've seen in this thread, it seems like it's just not worth it to skimp out on quality! Furthermore, I'm curious what that person did to get targeted and what we can do to avoid being targeted.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Safecracker,
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion of a Champion Medalist 31 with a S&G mechanical combo?

Attachments

• medalist.png
      medalist.png
      24.4 KB · Views: 599

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I've always have had a feeling that if someone was going to break into my house... It's not going to be the safe they come for... But it will be the reason they come back.

I just made the assumption that if they went straight to the side they knew enough about safes that the door was the longest yard to enter the safe... So they would've had to have researched safes... Only reason they would've done that is because they knew it was there and what was in it... The van in the background and the brand of the safe doesn't scream "hayfields mansion" so the attention from a pro would be less likely. So the safe was probably caused by the thief when it was being installed or from someone who knows he family or has visited like a tradesman or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Did they have the safe bolted down, or just sitting on the floor?

With the availability of cordless grinders, it is a wonder this does not happen more often.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    is there a safe you can't get through with an angle grinder?
    This is the dirty secret that people don't want to discuss, which is that with the right power tools, you can rip through even the good stuff with surprising quickness. That's not an excuse for having a 14ga safe, of course... you don't want them to be able to just crack it open with a fire axe.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Safecracker,
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion of a Champion Medalist 31 with a S&G mechanical combo?

SafeCracker would be you best knowledge source with his expertise. I just purchased couple Champions and I looked and research every blog forum possible for more info. I say NO GO for that model. you need at least their Triumph (TR). If I had just bought one, I'd have gone with their Crown series. But my promary focus was fire protect level and the triumph was good enough for me. I've sold most of my guns just bare minimal, my wife's scrapbooks are family treasures and have more value.

My best choice, if I had the funds and serious number of guns, would have been AMSEC upper models.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    This is the dirty secret that people don't want to discuss, which is that with the right power tools, you can rip through even the good stuff with surprising quickness. That's not an excuse for having a 14ga safe, of course... you don't want them to be able to just crack it open with a fire axe.

This. Unless you have at least a 1/2 body steel, it will be torn into. That's why home security service is a must with any other safes.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    is there a safe you can't get through with an angle grinder?

Once you get into UL rated safes in the TL15x6 or TL30x6 category, a regular angle grinder wont get you far. A demolition saw with abrasive blades or a professional core-drill will get you in, but not the kind of stuff you find in a homeowners toolbox.

All it takes is money.

... and concrete to pour the extra foundation you need for a TL30 big enough to hold long guns.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Vivint security offers some great security options for good prices right now. You can even ask for waiver on the install fee to get them to sell you a contract.
    I really like their video monitoring...it senses movement and sends you a clip of the video to your phone. So you can even call the police even before the alarm goes off, if they were to break in because you'll see the burglars snooping around, in the first place.

And I would also consider a secondary security inside the room with the safe or pointing in the direction of the safe...such as Piper security. That way, you can yell at the burglars that cops are on their way and that your neighbor is ready for them with a gun...or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom