• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    It is a frickin' minefield out there. All we want to do is shoot High Power matches....

Our HBAR match rifle is built on a pre-ban lower registered to me.

Can my 18 year old son take it to a match without me present? Does it become legal when that upper is mounted?

Is it now a FTF-transferable long gun that I can give to him with the knowledge that he cannot put a non HBAR upper on it?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    My opinion, yes.

The old ******** of "once regulated always regulated" is no written nowhere in law. It's just a scare tactic uneducated FFL's have used over the years.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Someone correct me but can he transfer the lower to him and the Son can put what ever he wants?
    I thought a pre ban lower can be transferred as an inheritance?
    That would leave the son with flexibility

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Once he puts an Hbar on the lower, it is a F/F deal. The part I don't know is can an 18 YO possess such a rifle. Instinctually I'd say yes(because it is no longer a regulated firearm) but, this is Merryland where nothing makes any sense. Were he my son, I'd give it to him...but, IANAL.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Once he puts an Hbar on the lower, it is a F/F deal. The part I don't know is can an 18 YO possess such a rifle. Instinctually I'd say yes(because it is no longer a regulated firearm) but, this is Merryland where nothing makes any sense. Were he my son, I'd give it to him...but, IANAL.

Because it is not a regulated firearm, you are able to purchase/receive it if you are 18+ years of age. Regulated firearms (MD only) and handguns (Federal) are the only ones that are restricted to 21+ years of age, by law.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But once that occurs, the grandfthered status goes away, & must remin Hvy Bbl. For son to inherit as pre-ban, pop has to die first.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Someone correct me but can he transfer the lower to him and the Son can put what ever he wants?
    I thought a pre ban lower can be transferred as an inheritance?
    That would leave the son with flexibility

Actually a LOWER can be transferred now, but in doing so, it would become a POST-ban lower. And only legal as an HBAR.

A PRE-ban, now banned rifle, CAN be transferred by inheritance. But that means the Dad has to DIE. I don't think I would die just so I could legally transfer a banned firearm. But you may be different. :)

HBAR rifle should be legal for 18 year old to own or to take to a match by himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom