• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I've got several Form 1 projects approved and/or pending, as well as others on the horizon. Rather than finding and running all over to get these engraved, I was looking at using single letter stamps to get the job done. Problem is, I don't trust myself to get everything lined up and straight. I don't want it to be sloppy. Anyhow, I ordered a stamp from Buckeye Engraving in Kent, Ohio with my trust name on one line, and city and state abbreviation below it. Easy folks to deal with. Cost was $95 plus shipping. I'll practice a bit to make sure it's a clean strike and I can exceed .003" in depth.

www.steelhandstamps.com

Last edited:

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I thought about doing something like this but was concerned with it penetrating the anodizing on an ar receiver to stamp the aluminum . Let us know how it works.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I've got several Form 1 projects approved and/or pending, as well as others on the horizon. Rather than finding and running all over to get these engraved, I was looking at using single letter stamps to get the job done. Problem is, I don't trust myself to get everything lined up and straight. I don't want it to be sloppy. Anyhow, I ordered a stamp from Buckeye Engraving in Kent, Ohio with my trust name on one line, and city and state abbreviation below it. Easy folks to deal with. Cost was $95 plus shipping. I'll practice a bit to make sure it's a clean strike and I can exceed .003" in depth.

How do you accurately test .003". My micrometer that I use for reloading
    as the depth gauge out the other end but the tip I feel is to wide to enter
    the engraving.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thought about doing something like this but was concerned with it penetrating the anodizing on an ar receiver to stamp the aluminum . Let us know how it works.

Doesn't engraving do that anyway?

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    General question/observation before I purchase one of these stamps. As a form 1 project I am the manufacturer and required to engrave/stamp with name and location, so if I move or sell the item no new engraving/stamping is required?

This does seem like a great idea.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    General question/observation before I purchase one of these stamps. As a form 1 project I am the manufacturer and required to engrave/stamp with name and location, so if I move or sell the item no new engraving/stamping is required?

This does seem like a great idea.

No new engraving is needed or required.

I was talking more about the ability of the stamp to penetrate deep enough.

It will strike hard enough to be the ATF required depth, you just have to strike it hard enough. I have done a ton using single digit stamps. lubing the die with oil will make a cleaner impression too.

The most important part is to back the area being stamped.

Remember you don't have to mark the receiver, you can stamp the barrel instead. You won't hurt a rifle barrel with a stamp set.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    This definitely would speed up the process. I await your results!

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do for caliber and serial number stamping? For suppressors, or SBRs out of 80%, etc.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I am an idiot but... could you do this in a vice?

Probably need to remove the FCG, but then setup with the lower upside down, one jaw inside the lower, the other with the stamp?

Can you order a low profile stamp? Based on Orion or Ident prices, you would save money if you did anything more than 1 lower.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I am an idiot but... could you do this in a vice?

Probably need to remove the FCG, but then setup with the lower upside down, one jaw inside the lower, the other with the stamp?

Can you order a low profile stamp? Based on Orion or Ident prices, you would save money if you did anything more than 1 lower.

No, you'll crack the receiver like that...

Just get a piece of hardwood and fit it to the ID of the FCG pocket. Use a small dead-blow hammer and you're good.

However, you sound like you might be happier with the results if you send it off to a professional.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I approved their proof on Wednesday, February 25. They told me it's an approximate two week turnaround time for delivery. I will keep y'all posted.

Last edited:

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    So after a good bit of practice I used my steel stamp. I know - the edited cell phone pic below sucks, but you get the idea.

The hardest part is keeping the stamp level as it has two lines. I used a 4-lb. sledge to strike it. The surface being stamped needs to be solidly supported in order to get a good impression. Although I have no way to measure the depth of the impression, I am satisfied with it. This stamp is in color case-hardened steel; mild steel and aluminum will mark much easier. Also, keep in mind that .003" of an inch, or 3 mil (a mil is 1/1000 of an inch), is 66% less than 'paper thin'. A sheet of copy paper - which measures approximately .009", or 9 mil, thick - is 3x as thick as the required depth of impression.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads