• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    Question (stupid as it might seem): How often does the state police get involved with domestic violence or any violent crimes unless there is a car chase involved on a highway..I've been on "ride-alongs" where "County and/or City Police" was called to handle the situation, even other "crimes" like drunken disorderly, DUI & DWI involving auto crashes..I did not see any MSP..do they (PD and MSP) have a linked system? or is this another "failure" of gov't

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Question (stupid as it might seem): How often does the state police get involved with domestic violence or any violent crimes unless there is a car chase involved on a highway..I've been on "ride-alongs" where "County and/or City Police" was called to handle the situation, even other "crimes" like drunken disorderly, DUI & DWI involving auto crashes..I did not see any MSP..do they (PD and MSP) have a linked system? or is this another "failure" of gov't

I'm going to answer what I think your question is. In some jurisdictions, like Baltimore city and county, those departments are the primary law enforcement agency. They will be handling the calls for service. In Baltimore county, the state has primary responsibility for crashes on 695, 83 and 795. Unless they witness something elsewhere and take action, that's about all they do.

In Harford co, I believe they go 50-50 with the sheriff's on calls for service. The three towns handle their own calls and can freely request msp or sheriff assistance.

In some counties (Carroll, up until a few years ago), msp is the only show in town.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This was the basis for this article that went out: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014...rs-linking-gun-registry-to-criminal-database/

We need people watching every piece of legislation coming out of Annapolis that assigns criminal charges greater than 1 year (4473) or two years (77R).

And getting down there raising hell about what it does to 2nd amendment rights.

Their new tactic is to criminalize all kinds of things (through new laws or assigning new penalties) to decimate our ranks.

And...

We need PBJ folks to start raising holy hell about having the state threatening their firearms confiscated by a plea bargain used long ago and get the state in court over that Godforsaken Simmons amendment. That should have been a standalone lawsuit.

They will not sleep, they will not stop. We can't either.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If they have the names of 110,000 "would-be" criminals, they can go after them anytime they want. I think they're blowing smoke up our collective puckers on this point. I think that they think they have no legal standing to go back 10-20-30-40-50 years and retroactively turn an otherwise model citizen into a crazed, gun-toting, would-be, killer. This form of gasbaggery could convince some gun owners to part with their firearms out of fear. Their goal is a complete and total elimination of firearms by any and all means possible. Let us not forget that.

I made that argument in my testimony yesterday.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Don't get it. The databases "talk" when we BUY guns, right? When someone is arrested... are you telling me they don't check the gun registry FIRST? I find it hard to believe the MSP does not or could not check when someone is arrested/convicted.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Seems to me he repeated that release almost verbatim last night, near the end of the hearing.

He really wants to hang his hat on these numbers (even though they don't appear to have any basis in fact).

He's an ideologue, make no mistake about it. He's also a true believer, and will follow his marching orders.

The Naval Academy baseball stadium?!! :D:D

Is there a baseball stadium there? I wonder why he/they would want people to show up at the red pin point, cause I don't know what is there. Thought it might be some super secret anti-gun gathering point. But judging from how many showed up in favor of Simmons, I guess he got everyone lost.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    As long as they are allowed to keep redefining "illegal", then yeah... the numbers could be anything.

THIS ^^. There is literally no limit to what they might be able to do. We've all made jokes about late library books being the new standard for disqualifying offenses.... but they could define it as anything. Allegations (not convictions) could be the new threshold in the near future, with the logic being, "Well this person could potentially be a threat to the public, and until we sort it out, he will be disarmed". It's not that far of a stretch. Every one of the upstanding citizens on this board (hard working, law-abiding, family loving, etc., etc.) could easily be swept into a new category of prohibited persons with the stroke of a pen. If they can do it, they likely will. It is a clear and present danger.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    The twisted, evil part of myself that I keep tucked in the dark corners of my brain actually hopes this passes.

The reason? To see it fail horribly and serve as fodder for an epic court case banning all state-level gun registries. :evilgrin3

Evil hypotheticals aside though, this needs to fail. There is far too much room for abuse here. Depriving people of their rights and property should take a judge's order, not a hit in a database.

Amen. :thumbsup:

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I am still stuck on the fact that they think that they are going to go door to door collecting firearms from 110,000 people legal or not.

Sounds like a job they will give the new guy :-)

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Don't get it. The databases "talk" when we BUY guns, right? When someone is arrested... are you telling me they don't check the gun registry FIRST? I find it hard to believe the MSP does not or could not check when someone is arrested/convicted.

Apparently, they don't "talk" post trial. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for MSP to do so, if notified.

What I'm betting is that there is no software or program that goes through the district and circuit court dockets each day, finds disqualifying convictions and then forwards that to MSP.

If not that, then I'm betting that no one at DPSCS notifies MSP once someone enters their realm (either as an inmate, on probation or parole).

We can't have a database going back over the years and decades just looking for people and convictions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom