• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I picked up my second Type 99 last week. It's a Nagoya arsenal 4th series. It has a monopod, complete AA sight, dust cover, full length cleaning rod and matching front band plus a neat story. According to the seller, it's a war-time bring back by his father. :cool: He said his father was a marine in the 1st division and fought in the Solomon Islands and brought this back with him after the war. Then it stayed in the closet until he passed a few years ago and now the son is selling it. I've got the father's name and a brief history of his life after the war. All I've checked so far is that the 1st division did fight in the Solomon's. I'm leaning toward believing the story since he didn't tell me any of it until after I had bought it and I happened to ask if he knew the history.

Pictures are not the best quality, and have some rain drops in them; sorry about that.

Required foot shot with both of my Type 99's. Newer one on top.

Comparison_zpsf0b0f572.jpg

Side view.

Sideview_zps4ebe7a05.jpg

Up close of side. It looks like there's a screw missing, but my other Type 99 doesn't have this. Any idea what the hole is for?

Missingscrew_zps51fd8006.jpg

Serial number. There are two small markings next to the Nagoya mark. It looks like three or four cross marks in each one, really small. Anyone know what that might be?

Serialnumber_zps3faac513.jpg

Matching front band/bayo lug.

Bayolug_zpsb41e9149.jpg

Bolt number is off by ten.

Boltnumber_zps98eae597.jpg

But the dust cover matches the bolt (that says 366).

Dustcovernumber_zpsa8be6019.jpg

Monopod marks at the front band.

Frontband_zpsb99a6baa.jpg

The bottom of the butt stock is a little rough. It looks like it spent a fair amount of time wet.

Rearslingswivel_zpsf4dcb529.jpg

I'm assuming the sling is a repro since it looks new, although that doesn't quite go with the story. It has a stamp on it suggesting the Tokyo Juki Kogyo arsenal.

Slingmarkings_zps7defdc9c.jpg

Top view.

Receivertop_zps489e9845.jpg

Closer shot of the mum.

Mum_zps36fe93ad.jpg

Most of the metal has a light pitting/rust buildup. I guess I'll just wipe it down with some oil.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Sweet rifle! :thumbsup:

It still has its imperial mark as well; the Type 99s I see usually have the stamp rubbed off, stamped over, etc..

I like that you have a story to go with it; the stories bring them to life!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Awesome find! I love these earlier 99's when they had all the bells and whistles. Regarding that hole, it's actually a maintenance / drain hole....no screw missing, don't worry it's supposed to look just like that. Some of the earlier series of rifles had these. Sling does appear to be a repro, but definitely a very nice find!

Edit to add: Those marks next to the Nagoya Arsenal mark are factory inspection markings

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's still a super find, even with the mis-match SNs! Have you disassembled the bolt to check SNs on the cocking knob and FP? I'll bet the total bolt assm. matches itself. If the bolt and DC matched this would easily be a $600-700 example. As is I would estimate it to bring $500.
    You're correct about the sling, a repop. Originals are hard to come by and command a fair chunk of change.
    A wonderful example with a good story to boot. Thank you so much for sharing, enjoyed seeing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom